Odd smell after test driving a 2013 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By cadillac 31
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Odd smell after test driving a 2013 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello I am new to this forum. My wife and I test drove a 2013 Cadillac SRX today (third test ...
    robbie0803 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Odd smell after test driving a 2013 SRX

Hello
    I am new to this forum. My wife and I test drove a 2013 Cadillac SRX today (third test drive for this exact vehicle). Upon returning to the dealer, there was a heavy smell of burnt clutch. The smell was unmistakable...burnt clutch... We asked the sales person about it, but he just said I had driven it too fast (which I hadn't). Is this common? As I mentioned above, this was the third time I had driven this exact vehicle, but I never smelled anything odd during the first two test drives. The SRX had about 36 miles on it after this test drive.

Does Cadillac put something on new engines to protect them during transport or shipping? I just couldn't bite the bullet after this experience. Thanks for your input.
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Re: Odd smell after test driving a 2013 SRX

Not sure what to tell ya. Maybe look into another SRX. If a supplier discount (approx. 2K off) would help you. let me know. Thanks for considering GM

Ponyman is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

You would have the normal curing, burning off of new paint, preservatives, etc, but that shouldn't smell like a burnt clutch. Since the SRX doesn't have a clutch, could the emergency brake been hanging on slightly? The brake linings and clutch material are somewhat similar. If this is the SRX for you, I would ask to bypass, more like demand, and go straight to the service manager for an answer, and a inspection of the vehicle.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by robbie0803 View Post
    Hello
    I am new to this forum. My wife and I test drove a 2013 Cadillac SRX today (third test drive for this exact vehicle). Upon returning to the dealer, there was a heavy smell of burnt clutch. The smell was unmistakable...burnt clutch... We asked the sales person about it, but he just said I had driven it too fast (which I hadn't). Is this common? As I mentioned above, this was the third time I had driven this exact vehicle, but I never smelled anything odd during the first two test drives. The SRX had about 36 miles on it after this test drive.

Does Cadillac put something on new engines to protect them during transport or shipping? I just couldn't bite the bullet after this experience. Thanks for your input.
    Rob
    Hello robbie0803,

That is weird you smelled something odd after your third test drive on this vehicle. I am not able to state or diagnose what could have been the cause of this. I recommend test driving another 2013 SRX, after speaking with the service manager about this concern at this dealership, or possibly going to another local dealership to test drive a 2013 SRX there.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

robbie0803 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks everyone for your input. We have test driven numerous vehicles and numerous brands without smelling anything odd like this. My wife was in love with this particular vehicle, but the last thing we want to do is buy a problem. The emergency/parking brake was not on when we drove this SRX. This really is unusual, so I guess we are still in search for the right vehicle...

Caddybill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury w/nav
    My 11 Lux had an odd smell on the first few interstate rides. Smelled like candle wax burning. The service manager said it was normal. Some kind of preservative on the underbody from the factory. The smell went away after about a week and I have never had any related problems now at 28,000 miles.

cadillac 31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

no disrespect robbie but is it possible that you are being a little dramatic about the whole burnt clutch smell thing maybe ???? on all brand new cars, the faint smell of plastic fumes and oils baking are very normal. This comes from fresh block, heads, manifolds and pipes and other engine and driveline parts cooking the very thin surface film of assembly, casting, or rust prevention oils, getting heated for the first time. It will go away after a month or so of ownership. This also applies to plastics which are near engine components or interior trim near heat prone parts...even the possibility that when they added oil to the car some extra got on the block so kinda amplify that normal kinda burn smell .....also take into consideration yes your speed of driving even brake force its new parts meshing together if the car is a demo most people test drive hard to get a feel for car ....relax this is not a srx/gm problem which you seem to be implying this smell will go away... after your third test drive you still havent bought the car maybe the car is just not for you so now you reaching for a problem to justify you not buying the car...i think even in any manufacturer new car manual they address the smell issue sounds like you really want that toyota lol the srx is a great car smells just like any other brand new car and that smell will go away under the hood and inside the cabin....

skygazer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 FWD SRX Performance Xenon Blue

Just bought a new 13 SRX for the wife yesterday. It had 38 miles on the odometer. Drive home was less than 10 miles. Right after she parked, I got out and admired the car with her. I did notice the "hot new engine smell", which could be construed as burning clutch. I think it smells like oil and paint burning off the exhaust components. I have found that synthetic oil is particularly stinky when it spills on the exhaust manifold.

I don't know what you were smelling, but what I smelled seemed perfectly normal, and I expect it to go away within 100 miles or so.

algiorda is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

My 2004 had this smell and I was told it was the Catalytic converter "breaking in". The smell did in fact disappear after 50-100 miles or so.

I don't know if this is the exact smell you are experiencing, but it's the only other thing I can think of.

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Skygazer--

Does this SRX have an engine block heater? Before we had even used it, ours fell out of place and partially melted to the catalytic converter. It smelled awful, as if a plastic bag had gotten stuck to the exhaust pipe (which we had happen to us with a previous car). The dealer scraped it off the converter and replaced it with a new one.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic
    Yea. Both my 10 and 13 SRX's smelled funny for about the first 500kms when you got outside. Then everything broke in and the smells went away. Breaking the brakes in creates a whole new level of smell too.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

skygazer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 FWD SRX Performance Xenon Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by carbeck
    Skygazer--

Does this SRX have an engine block heater? Before we had even used it, ours fell out of place and partially melted to the catalytic converter. It smelled awful, as if a plastic bag had gotten stuck to the exhaust pipe (which we had happen to us with a previous car). The dealer scraped it off the converter and replaced it with a new one.
    Nope. It is a California car. Just over 200 miles on it now, and the smell is much less noticable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.