Upgrade Low Beams Only
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jcarlilesiu
  • 2 Post By 300:29:1
  • 4 Post By wiperman
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Upgrade Low Beams Only in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm considering replacing the stock headlamp bulbs with Silverstar Ultras. The question is, do I replace both the low and ...
    300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Upgrade Low Beams Only

I'm considering replacing the stock headlamp bulbs with Silverstar Ultras. The question is, do I replace both the low and high beams or just low.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Re: Upgrade Low Beams Only

Both, the colour difference between the two beams will bother your OCD.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior on order...

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain
    Both, the colour difference between the two beams will bother your OCD.
    Thanks Captain but I must abort. I tried to access the headlamp bulbs and was able to see the driver's side low beam, but had difficulty trying to disconnect in the small space available. I don't think I can even get to the high beam. I was unable to remove the air filter on the right side completely. I can't imagine having this car beyond the warranty period. Changing bulbs is not for the average DIYer.

No, changing the headlights in my 10 was easier then my 13; i had to disassemble half the front bumper to get the headlight on the driver side on the 13. It is very involved. (Or have tiny delicate hands. I mean tiny)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior on order...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain
    No, changing the headlights in my 10 was easier then my 13; i had to disassemble half the front bumper to get the headlight on the driver side on the 13. It is very involved. (Or have tiny delicate hands. I mean tiny)
    I thought the 10 was the same as my 12. Also thought 13 was the same.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

You need to remove the front bumper fascia - this is a lot easier than it sounds. Takes about 20 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by davedogcaddy
    You need to remove the front bumper fascia - this is a lot easier than it sounds. Takes about 20 mins.
    The manual conveniently omits any information in this area. Could someone post the procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by davedogcaddy View Post
    Thanks for that. I had seen this post in the past, but didn't really read it carefully at the time. I'm still stuck on the blatant error(s) in the manual! The claim that you can replace your own bulbs is about as false as saying the SRX is going to get 30MPG. They should have indicated the same as with HID. "...see your dealer for service...".
    To do the above procedure would require the kind of nerve that I probably don't have. I guess if ANY headlamp bulbs burn out on my car, I can ask to have ALL replaced at the dealer. That's a big if. I have been seriously considering replacing the vehicle with another that has HID headlamps. I really do love my SRX, but can't get past this issue. I don't want to lease and am currently in the first year of a 5 year loan through Ally. If I were to trade it in, I would likely get killed. Maybe I'll consider the whole front bumper removal project. I know the OP said 30 minutes, but methinks that an exponent should be added to that number.

It just depends on how comfortable you are with these types of things. I'm by no means a car mechanic (computer tech by trade), however there are many things on our vehicles that I can tackle myself. I had already done the bumper removal on my wife's CTS to replace a burned out bulb, and they have really made some major improvements to the process. It's about 10 times easier on my 2010 SRX than her 2008 CTS. One thing is if you have a 2nd set of hands it would be MUCH easier. I did it by myself, but could have done it even faster with some help. Really boils down to comfort level with tearing stuff apart/putting it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    I thought the 10 was the same as my 12. Also thought 13 was the same.
    The 10's are the same, except (in mine) i can move the fuse box in the 10. In the 13 I can't move the fuse box to access the driver side, and the air filter box has a few more components to it now.

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Engineering fail.

To make the bulbs inaccessible is just failure to the highest degree.

Having to dismantle a car like that for ROUTINE maintenance screams of complete and utter failure in the design an engineering.

I love my car, and am not one of those people that slam it, but that is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
    Engineering fail.

To make the bulbs inaccessible is just failure to the highest degree.

Having to dismantle a car like that for ROUTINE maintenance screams of complete and utter failure in the design an engineering.

I love my car, and am not one of those people that slam it, but that is just ridiculous.
    Well said.

wiperman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 gold mist SRX Performance

With all the work required to replace the headlamp capsules on the SRX, why would anyone want to put in replacement bulbs that only have 25% as much life as standard halogens? I have been down this road with SilverStars before, and IMO they are a ripoff. Check the description on the package: 25% as much promised life compared to standard halogens, AND as for the promised additional light output: "Claims based on measured comparisons between SilverStar product family at 100% light output and standard halogen bulbs at 80% light output". Yes, Sylvania is claiming that SilverStars are brighter than used halogen bulbs. I wonder what marketing genius figured out that brilliant strategy. For the higher cost and additional trouble of changing the bulbs, I just won't fall for it again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.