Chrome wheels peeling on 2012
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Chrome wheels peeling on 2012 in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just finished washing our SRX and to my dismay I see the chrome peeling on all 4 rims. I am ...
    MartyPeru is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Chrome wheels peeling on 2012

Just finished washing our SRX and to my dismay I see the chrome peeling on all 4 rims. I am sure the dealership and warranty will be good about it, but it still frustrating. Anyone else have this problem? If I remember correctly is was a fairly price option. Maybe one I should not of taken but the 20 inch chrome wheels do look nice. Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: Chrome wheels peeling on 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MartyPeru View Post
    Just finished washing our SRX and to my dismay I see the chrome peeling on all 4 rims. I am sure the dealership and warranty will be good about it, but it still frustrating. Anyone else have this problem? If I remember correctly is was a fairly price option. Maybe one I should not of taken but the 20 inch chrome wheels do look nice. Regards
    If you do a search you will find there are many threads already dealing with Chrome wheels damage/pitting and peeling. GM will cover pitting or perhaps even peeling on a one time basis only and if there wasn't any damage done to the wheels by either car washes or curb rash etc. You didn't say where you are located but some cities and towns use high levels of salt in the winter and that can cause some pitting on those wheels. I had all four of mine replaced on my 2010 SRX. However, I had damage done by a car wash rail and I had to pay $200 deductible for the wheel that was damaged. If I recall back 2010 that option was very reasonable at only $250.00 and I believe the price increased to around $450 the next year which was still very reasonable... not sure about the costs in 2012. The chrome rims really look great for sure but because of my particular issues I had I decided for my 2012 SRX that I would opt for the standard 20" painted rims instead.

phunter1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

When I inquired about chrome wheels for my 2012, the dealer told me that it would be around $2000, so I passed. Instead, I had my rims chromed for about $1000. Glad I did based upon the complaints I have seen on this forum about the factory chrome wheels. Hopefully, the dealer will replace your wheels with a set that are properly chromed and will last.

Phil

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    I've already had one chrome clad wheel replaced for peeling. GM will replace a chrome wheel once each for pitting. Peeling is a different animal and should be replaced under warranty as needed. Peeling is a defect from the factory. Pitting occurs via road salt and other chemicals.

When and if your chrome wheels pit, you are better off waiting until all four need replacing.

Peeling can also occur if the wheel gets hit hard where the plastic behind the chrome gets broken and or cracked. The chrome will then start to slowly peel away from the cracked plastic because of the hit.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

There has been much discussion and unhappy owners, regarding the fake chrome wheels. I would just see if you could trade out your current wheels for another wheel. Maybe try one of the 2013 wheels that are available. They have some nice looking ones. I have the polished chrome, really like them. I think Marc NY has them as well. I don't know what part of country you live in, but if you have road salt or mag chloride, you will have trouble with your current wheels from now on!!!!!

I had no luck trying to trade mine out. I'm hoping they either hold up or all four need replaced then will go for different style.

Likely, what I have are the polished aluminum wheels which IMHO are awesome looking wheels indeed!
    davedogcaddy and davedogcaddy like this.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

2013 MY Polished Aluminum wheels are the way to go! Got them on my 2010...

DSC05072-L.jpg
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Go with the Chrome Plated Aluminum! Aside from PVD chrome plated (aftermarket), probably the best look / closest to real, you can get! Though it'll take some upkeep in inclement conditions.
    ladypro and ladypro like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Go with the Chrome Plated Aluminum! Aside from PVD chrome plated (aftermarket), probably the best look / closest to real, you can get! Though it'll take some upkeep in inclement conditions.
    Dang it Captain, quit posting pics of your wheels, I wanted those switched over on my 2012 before purchase but was told no fit!!!

Does anyone have the midnight silver wheels? I have not seen those mounted on a SRX, just pictures online of the wheel.

Whomever the moron was that told you SRX rims don't fit on an SRX should be... released from the automotive service.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Whomever the moron was that told you SRX rims don't fit on an SRX should be... released from the automotive service.
    Yes I was not pleased after the fact, I should have done my homework before I got there I guess, but that is a whole different story. They claimed the offset was different on the 2013 rims. I should have went and checked on the SRX with those wheels setting on their lot, but I digress.

To the Original Poster, try to get them switched out under warranty to a 2013 wheel design, the 2010-2012 chrome techs are not durable. The owner manual even states this can be done if there is good reason to not provide the same part under warranty just for them to fail again.

phunter1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Wait, what? The factory chrome rims are a chrome plated plastic overlay???

Phil

If you have the 2010 - 2012 Chrome Tech Rims, they are a chrome plated plastic hub melded to an aluminum rim. They look like this.

The rims on my '13 (pictured in post #10 in Platinum Ice) has actual Chrome Plated Aluminum rims.
    ladypro and ladypro like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.