Chrome wheels peeling on 2012 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Chrome wheels peeling on 2012 in Cadillac SRX Forums; There is a nice set of OEM 2013 chrome wheels and tires on eBay right now like Captain has. They ...
    adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    There is a nice set of OEM 2013 chrome wheels and tires on eBay right now like Captain has. They want $2,300 shipped, ad says offers considered. Told me the wheels have 200 miles and tires are brand new, customer kept the Michelin tires. These are Bridge stone tires.

Good deal for someone who wants to switch wheels or needs new tires. I would buy them but I'm going to wait until I need new tires.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=321112597504

rureno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance Flannel Gray

Re: Chrome wheels peeling on 2012

Quick question. Recently bought a 2010 SRX Performance package and noticed the chrome is cracking on all the rims one has curb rash. How do I go about getting Cadillac dealer to replace under warranty? I have about 5 months left on warranty. thanks for the help "I'm a NEWBIE"x

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by rureno View Post
    Quick question. Recently bought a 2010 SRX Performance package and noticed the chrome is cracking on all the rims one has curb rash. How do I go about getting Cadillac dealer to replace under warranty? I have about 5 months left on warranty. thanks for the help "I'm a NEWBIE"x
    I would believe that you inspected your rims very closely before you purchased your 2010 SRX right? That being said, usually cracking chrome and wheel rash are the result of driver abuse. Meaning the peeling usually happens after a rim takes a bump (like a car wash) or a hit and the curb rash are definitely self inflicted damages and that would not be covered by any GM warranty. I had car wash damage to one rim and I had pitting on all four rims due to the result of harsh winter salt and other chemicals used on our roads. GM would only cover the pitting one time and the damage to the rim I had a deductible that I had to pay out.

IMO: Those chrome rims are beautiful indeed but they can be a high cost nightmare to then have to replace them once damage has occurred. If you have to replace all four of them I would look towards getting one of the great looking 2013 one piece rims or perhaps even look at an after market wheel.

Clean them as best you can and take to dealer.

Thanks for the info. When I get my car back from the dealer I will post pics for input.

Here are some pix of the rims. It looks like I have some cracking starting and not sure what the white dots are. I have curb rash on one rim...will Dealer charge on that one even if it is starting to flake in different area than the curb rashDSC_0055.JPGDSC_0057.JPGDSC_0060.JPG

I would request the defective rims be replaced. If you did not hit the curb don't accept a messed up wheel.

The "Q" man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

The "INFAMOUS" chrome rim saga for us/we poor humble Cadillac owners. . . Before I get into details, I will make one thing abundantly clear. . .GM refuses to take ownership of this nasty problem. . Point is: Been there ~ Done that. . .

I'm a P. Eng, with a BA Sc in Metallurgy (know what I'm talking about), My Escalade EXT rims (after two years/100k k/m, literally; have no chrome left on the rims. Point is; regardless of the Cadillac model, we're all in the same boat.

As GM "WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE" the problem, we (the owners) have to buy new rims. . . "Do not buy O.E.M. rims. . . Aftermarket is the only option

the "Q" man

----------

"Bye-The-Way". . . The Chrome Rim problem is a perfect opportunity to present a more serious (safety issue) regarding Cadillac "Rims/Wheels". . Last Monday (May 20/13), while driving on the 401 @ 100k/m (60mph) my left front wheel went sideways (from the vertical axis). . .Major bearing failure was the root cause. . . Make no mistake, my wife and I barely avoided a major accident. . .

The mechanic in Woodstock, Ontario (who did the repair @ $ 1,350.00 CDN) claims this happens "ALL THE TIME". . . I contacted GM this morning. . . GM claim this is an extremely rare occurrence.

My question to you is: "Has anyone had the same bearing problem?"

----------

"Bye-The-Way" Part II:

The is a "REASON" for the chrome failure (Metallurgy 101): "Never-Ever" bond two dissimilar metals together (as in: chrome over aluminum alloy, regardless of composition, meaning metal mix/formula) without proper adhesion variables/precaution/processes in place. . Failure to do so, will lead to this "Nasty Problem".

the "Q" man

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Here are some pix of the rims. It looks like I have some cracking starting and not sure what the white dots are. I have curb rash on one rim...will Dealer charge on that one even if it is starting to flake in different area than the curb rashAttachment 110801Attachment 110809Attachment 110817
    Sorry but GM will not cover any wheel(s) that have suffered a hit and or curb rash because the driver was the one who caused the damage. Now as far as your pitting issues I believe GM should cover the pitting issues but only on a one time basis. Now, if GM believes the pitting was the result of something that happened due to someone using a strong chemical cleaner like at a car wash, then probably no. FYI: I had some staining issues on my new Hummer wheels back in the day and it was result of my car wash person who had sprayed some heavy duty wheel cleaner onto my hot chrome rims and then the car wash got stopped for a good 5 minutes do to a break down. Ultimately, that situation caused my rims to stain badly and I was lucky to get the car wash to partially compensate me for those stain damages.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be going down to the dealership this week and I will see what happens.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks for all the responses. I will be going down to the dealership this week and I will see what happens.
    Hello rureno,

I am sorry for the chrome wheels peeling on your vehicle. I see that you are taking it into the dealership to see if it will be covered by warranty. Please let us know how everything goes and if you want to discuss anything further or have other questions, don't hesitate to contact us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.