Headlight Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 6 Post By Amcberetta
  • 1 Post By adamjeeps
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Headlight Issues in Cadillac SRX Forums; Tonight I had to go out in the pouring rain to get formula for our baby girl. I have come ...
    Amcberetta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX W/Nav

Headlight Issues

Tonight I had to go out in the pouring rain to get formula for our baby girl. I have come to realization that halogens don't work with projection lenses for headlights. Halogens work correctly with reflectors, the old standard for headlights. Here is my rant, halogens with projectors don't work!!! You cant see!!! Especially in the rain! I don't want to hear the crap that its the driver not the car, I am 31 years old. I had a car that had HID's. I have a SRX4 (Luxury) that doesn't have HID's, which should be the standard. For goodness sake its a Cadillac!!! HID headlamps need to be the standard, regardless of the model! Cadillac's are expansive period! This is not right! I know damn well there are others that have the same issue!

----------

*Expensive, sorry for the type.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Re: Headlight Issues

I agree that the projected halogens are a little dim.

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

Sorry for your frustration, but it's been GM's marketing strategy for 88 years now that you gotta pay extra for the good stuff.

jack vines

roadrnnr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13 Srx premium

Why not just drop in bulbs and ballasts? I did that with my santa fe, costed $50 and looked great!

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Invest in a good aftermarket HID that fits your current bulb housing.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
    Why not just drop in bulbs and ballasts? I did that with my santa fe, costed $50 and looked great!
    Because, among other reasons, you can't just "drop in bulbs" without first "dropping" the bumper. It's a bit involved and will cost a few bucks more if you don't do it yourself. Much more than $50.

Amcberetta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX W/Nav

Hi Jack,
    I think that GM needs to rethink their strategy. Especially since I paid over $40K for the car (purchased new). Now that I see Hyundai's, Mazda's and Kia's having all of these "extras". I know these cars are notcoincided luxury. For Luxury cars all these items including HID headlights need to be standard. I have had other brands of luxury cars before and it wasn't a la carte when it came to options they were just
    standard regardless. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

----------

Phillips makes a kit that costs around $220. My service guy said it would take 90 mins to install at the dealership. So parts and labor I would be assuming the cost would be in the $500 range to install since the front bumper does in fact need to be removed. My SRX is under warranty until 100K miles so I don't want to void my warranty by pulling the bumper off and start messing with things.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by Amcberetta View Post
    Hi Jack,
    I think that GM needs to rethink their strategy. Especially since I paid over $40K for the car (purchased new). Now that I see Hyundai's, Mazda's and Kia's having all of these "extras". I know these cars are notcoincided luxury. For Luxury cars all these items including HID headlights need to be standard. I have had other brands of luxury cars before and it wasn't a la carte when it came to options they were just
    standard regardless. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

----------

Phillips makes a kit that costs around $220. My service guy said it would take 90 mins to install at the dealership. So parts and labor I would be assuming the cost would be in the $500 range to install since the front bumper does in fact need to be removed. My SRX is under warranty until 100K miles so I don't want to void my warranty by pulling the bumper off and start messing with things.
    The problem with the DIY HID install is the unpredictable life of the bulbs. If a bulb needs to be replaced, you're looking at having to drop the bumper again. That's the only thing keeping me from doing this. I realize that there are more reliable bulbs out there, but even the most expensive ones have variations in life expectancy and are certainly not going to last nearly as long as the stock HID's. The initial cost is relatively high due to the bumper issue. Many other vehicles that don't require this elaborate process are better suited to this modification. If you fell comfortable doing it yourself, you're in business. I do not have the nerve to do this.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

pulling the bumper cover is not as bad as it sounds (have done it twice now for replacing the upper/lower grills). Took me about 15 minutes each time, and I don't do this for a living. The 2nd time I pulled it I shot some video of the process....I really need to get that uploaded to youtube one of these days....

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

You could try some silverstar headlights, they might be brighter. Downside is they do not last as long as OEM bulb but if you can see better then might be worth it. Sylvania guide says low beams are H11 and high beams are 9005.
    TheCaptain likes this.

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury
    I have just had HID bulbs installed in my low beams and Fog lights, also had the main and lower grille changed out at the same time. The running/low beams are 100% better, bulbs are 35 amp and have a warranty of one year including the installation but should last 2 to 3 years. If you live in the Los Angeles area I know where you need to go to get this done if like me you don't want to take it on yourself. I now have to take the vehicle back to the dealer to get the Fogs calibrated. Here we go again the dealership did not know what I was talking about and I had to fax them the instructions, this is the same dealership that said they did not want to install the GM fog light kit in the first place ....... does not fill with confidence!!!

daddie2k3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Amcberetta
    Tonight I had to go out in the pouring rain to get formula for our baby girl. I have come to realization that halogens don't work with projection lenses for headlights. Halogens work correctly with reflectors, the old standard for headlights. Here is my rant, halogens with projectors don't work!!! You cant see!!! Especially in the rain! I don't want to hear the crap that its the driver not the car, I am 31 years old. I had a car that had HID's. I have a SRX4 (Luxury) that doesn't have HID's, which should be the standard. For goodness sake its a Cadillac!!! HID headlamps need to be the standard, regardless of the model! Cadillac's are expansive period! This is not right! I know damn well there are others that have the same issue!

----------

*Expensive, sorry for the type.
    Sorry to hear about your issue but if it makes you feel better its plenty of M Benz and BMW on the road that does not have HIDs and we both know cause more than the srx...as they use the same sales idea of getting the HIDs on higher trim levels

But to fix your problem I truly suggest getting the factory fog lights installed and see if that helps and if it doesn't just install HIDs yourself in the fog lights as its an easier process and you can do many times just in case of short life bulbs or ballasts...either way good luck!!

excelon72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black,CUE,NAV

OMG i so agree. In my excitement i did not drive my 2013 SRX at night and am now disgusted that my $20,000.00 Scion Tc allows me to see better at night. AND not only do the HORRIBLE headlamps make me feel VERY unsafe driving at night , Cadillac made it impossible to swap out bulbs without spending hundreds of dollars. I am a 41 year old with 20/20 vision and have over 450,000 miles driven ubnder my belt , I KNOW GOOD HEADLAMPS and these are not it. Even my wifes 2007 Toyota rav 4 has better illumination.
    And $48,000.00 for a vehicle with no fog light??? seriously?
    I am so very dissapointed with the lighting my wife and i will never buy another car without taking it for several days worth of driving. ANd to make it soo impossible to repalce the headlamp bulbs with quality aftermarket is RIDICULOUS.

I agree with daddie that it is a sales tactic... but my salesman did not push me to the Performance model and that it seems would have made me very happy.

cfuller is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Guys, I just dropped my bumper today after work to replace the passenger side factory HID ballast. It was so much easier than I thought it would. to replsce the ballast the front bumper does have to be dropped as the ballast is mounted on the bottom of the headlight assembly. I believe if I had to do it again I could drop it and put it up in no more than 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    Because, among other reasons, you can't just "drop in bulbs" without first "dropping" the bumper. It's a bit involved and will cost a few bucks more if you don't do it yourself. Much more than $50.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.