Lost key FOB - looking at eBay for replacements. Any "gotchas?"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Lost key FOB - looking at eBay for replacements. Any "gotchas?" in Cadillac SRX Forums; Our spare FOB has been missing for a while and I've finally convinced myself that it's not going to turn ...
    Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Lost key FOB - looking at eBay for replacements. Any "gotchas?"

Our spare FOB has been missing for a while and I've finally convinced myself that it's not going to turn up anywhere. I don't even want to know exactly what the dealer wants (but always had in my mind it must be in the $100-200 range). Lo and behold, there are tons on ebay anywhere from $50 - $90. Some auctions seem to imply you can program yourself, which I'm OK with doing if that's accurate. Some auctions include a blank key and say they are OEM, but I'm a bit skeptical. Has anyone snagged a replacement remote from ebay? Any issues, either programming or having the key cut? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Re: Lost key FOB - looking at eBay for replacements. Any "gotchas?"

I bought one on E Bay I couldn't get it to program neither could the dealer. There are two different style key blanks. If you look at the pictures on E Bay you will see the difference. Just make sure youe key is the same style.
    One has a groove and pointed end, other is flat and has flat end that is what my key looks like. It will have to be laser cut not all dealers can do this.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Sometimes the cheap comes out expensive. Be careful...

Ah ha, exactly the info I was looking for. Do you mind sharing a link or userID of the seller that you purchased from? Were you able to get a refund from the seller?
    I'm not sure I follow with the key style - any chance you can link to a picture showing the difference? Thanks!

"Sometimes the cheap comes out expensive. Be careful..."

Exactly the reason for this post! Just trying to gather any info out there on these ebay keys....so I can at least take somewhat of an informed risk

Kmohler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX
    I also bought one on eBay that neither I nor the dealer could program. I'm not going to criticize the seller because they quickly sent me a replacement. It again could not be programmed. The fobs were in sealed packages and the "guts" inside appeared to be identical to the ones that came with the car. If it was some kind of counterfeit, it was sure a good one. I can't explain the problem, but I think the seller was dealing in good faith. I ended up getting one from the dealer and using the key from the eBay one. I had it cut by a local locksmith. The dealer couldn't cut one and a factory-cut one would have been another $56. All this because I wanted to have an extra that I could keep hidden in the car with the battery removed. It doesn't help to have OnStar unlock the car if you have lost your fob. You can get in but have no way to start up. Ah, the price of luxury.

Ken

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

TRY Autotransponder.com, they sell real GM fobs very reasonable, paid $49 bucks for brand new one in package, no problems programming. They have you have the dealer or whomever you have do it, program it in the package so if it does not work just send it back, no worries. also got a key from them for $19 bucks dealer cut it works great. They will look up the right one for your car. Way better than taking the chance with used.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07 View Post
    TRY Autotransponder.com, they sell real GM fobs very reasonable, paid $49 bucks for brand new one in package, no problems programming. They have you have the dealer or whomever you have do it, program it in the package so if it does not work just send it back, no worries. also got a key from them for $19 bucks dealer cut it works great. They will look up the right one for your car. Way better than taking the chance with used.
    Thanks for that link! Unfortunately, they want quite a bit more ($119) for the SRX key. But, it is promising that they confirm that with one working remote, you can reprogram a new one.

Kmohler: do you recall the eBay ID of the seller by chance?

I'm finding conflicting info on programming. I found one person who says that it depends on if your SRX has SPS, which if it DOES have, then the dealer will need to reprogram. I was under the impression SPS wasn't an "optional" feature - rather a standard of communication or programming found on all (newish) Cadillacs.

tiensinh99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx
    I bought 1 2wks ago from eBay for mine 2010 srx luxury. I had no problem program it . Item #110959704208. You need to make sure it the same one you have thought. There one with remote start and ones don't.

Ok, just circling back to close out my own thread

I purchased from eBay user remotewholesale. Product delivered as described and in a timely manner - as far as I can tell, this is OEM (I opened it up to verify).

I was able to program it using the instructions in the SRX Owner's Manual, as I already had one working key. That was it! Thanks to the tiensinh99 for the referral to remotewholesale.

hinschar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Srx

Good News!!!

After buying several remotes online which I was not able to program, I finally decided to buy a "Brand New" one directly from GM so that I can know for sure that it was never programed to a different car.

I purchased one from the site "GM Parts Direct" for $99 it arrived in a few days and lo and behold in less than a minute it was programed and ready to go without any costly visits to the dealer!

If anyone wants more information I will be happy to share it with you.

ezstriper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

I also got one from Ebay, would not program, dealer could not either, they sent me another, same deal would not program...opened them up they were GM fobs...but neither would work...pulled one out of their parts dept..worked 1st time...wondering if they were buying non working rejects ??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.