Question on the AWD suspension
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Question on the AWD suspension in Cadillac SRX Forums; Ok, I am eyeing an 2013 or 14 SRX Performance . The thing is that in order to get the ...
    josey88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Question on the AWD suspension

Ok, I am eyeing an 2013 or 14 SRX Performance . The thing is that in order to get the variable damping suspension I would have to get the AWD option , which I really do not need because I live in Florida
    My question is : Is the variable damping worth the AWD option ? Cadillac advertises it as great , but I would like opinions from owners that have it , before chosing which way I will go . Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: Question on the AWD suspension

I haven't driven one without the variable damping... But its pretty handy on my '10 and '13 to go from tour to sport and carve some corners!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

IMO you should consider the benefits of AWD, beyond just an ice and snow application. We live in Florida also, and I wanted my wife to have the AWD system for the increased handling capability. It is a distinct saftey advantage providing much better traction in rain as well as dry pavement cornering or emergency maneuvering. When we decided to purchase her SRX last July, there were only 3 AWD models in the whole state of Florida. I would have preferred the Performance collection, but we found a Luxury collection that had the colors my wife liked and the AWD that I wanted her SRX to have. The timing was such that we were not able to order a new SRX and that caused us to choose from the current inventory. Again, I feel that too many people do not think of the AWD benefits beyond just the ice and snow capabilities and therefore the selection becomes extremely limited in the southern US. Lastly, if you have the AWD and decide to venture out of Florida to a region that does have ice and snow, well you've got that covered too!

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

My wife always gets an AWD vehicle and recently (my last 5 vehicles) I have just gotten FWD. However, I might just try out a SRX with AWD next time around.

There's a good reason that many high end sports cars have awd systems, and it's certainly not to contend with inclement weather! I believe that future vehicles will all have awd for the safety benefits.

josey88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I guess that AWD is worth it , then .

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T
    I have the 2.8t awd with the mr suspension. Its not worth it on the SRX. I have owned a cts-v and now a regal gs both with adjustable suspension, they are both worth it. Particularly because the have driver activated sport modes which firm up the ride very noticeably. The SRX is just one mode and I can't see any benefit from it.

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I am also in Florida and we got 2013 SRX AWD Performance collection for my wife. We had to get ours all the way from Chicago as we looked for specific color in and out and options. I do think that AWD is so much better for our Rainy season and the extra 2.5K is well worth it. Like people already mentioned more stable in rain, you can punch it off the line and just go and better overall driving dynamics then the FWD. We do also venture out of Florida for some ski to North Carolina and at that point it is a must. Now, a Supercharger is in the works for the SRX so if you decide to add power FWD will not give you much traction ) If you are going to use the SRX like a point A to point B vehicle ( like to work and back ) FWD will do just fine.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Check out that low clearance front bumper and valance, you are not going to want to go through any more than 3 to 4 inches before risk of damage to the body. The SRX is not meant for snow. My grand prix has more clearance, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    Check out that low clearance front bumper and valance, you are not going to want to go through any more than 3 to 4 inches before risk of damage to the body. The SRX is not meant for snow. My grand prix has more clearance, lol!
    Hey Adam, you're right the SRX wouldn't do well plowing through snow, but you should check out the video from the Captain that shows what the AWD - SRX can do in the ice and snow!

Adam, you are quite wrong when it comes to the SRX in snow (on winter tires). I have lots of first hand experience with the SRX in snow, and as long as you keep the snow below the upper grill, it just keeps going. (AWD w/snow tires of course). This thing is a better snow machine then 4x4 trucks, because of the adaptability of the Haldex AWD system, just because it has a low valence doesn't mean anything!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Adam, you are quite wrong when it comes to the SRX in snow (on winter tires). I have lots of first hand experience with the SRX in snow, and as long as you keep the snow below the upper grill, it just keeps going. (AWD w/snow tires of course). This thing is a better snow machine then 4x4 trucks, because of the adaptability of the Haldex AWD system, just because it has a low valence doesn't mean anything!
    I stand corrected by the guy who knows! I guess the AWD - SRX 'is' able to plow through the snow.
    Captain, could you post the link to your video again? I remember it being very impressive.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Come on now, the SRX is a great vehicle but that is just crazy talk. There is no way you are going to go through deeper snow than a truck. I can barely fit my hand under the front end, and good luck when you hit something more solid than loose snow, something is going to break off that low valance.

I have driven my Avalanche through over a foot of unplowed snow. The 50/50 weight distribution, clearance, and locking rear axle (not even counting some suv's and trucks with front lockers) will eat the SRX alive.

Where is this video that was mentioned above?

A foot of unplowed snow eh? That's nice. Earlier this winter, I drove straight off the road into (what I didn't know) was snow as deep as the lower point of the upper grille. I ended up stopping halfway through this section because I didn't turn Stabilitrack off and it stopped me. I turned ST off, the vehicle sunk down to the ground and I went 'oh $hit'! I backed up to see the snow piled up in front of me and an imprint of the whole front end (headlights, grill, Wreath and Crest) in the bank. I took a small run (one vehicle length) and rammed through the pile I built, kept going through the snow and back up onto the snow packed road in which you see in this picture (where I sunk is directly behind where I parked- as the crow flies, where the fish cleaning station is- what looks like roof racks on my vehicle). I should have gotten a picture of it in the deep snow, but I never thought to.

I went over to our cabin and backed into the driveway, checked out the cabin, hopped back in and drove out. The snow was much shallower here. This was all evenly flat before I drove into it. You can definitely see the valence drag marks here.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I can tell you guys that I've driven my Honda Fit in moderate snow with FWD and done very well. That vehicle is about as low as they get. The SRX with AWD has been very good for me in Central New York State winters. That whole low front end thing is not an end all for driving in snow. The SRX is heavy and this helps in rain as well in my experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.