2012 SRX FM Radio Reception Is Awful
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX FM Radio Reception Is Awful in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hey guys. I am at my wits end with this fm radio issue I have been having since I bought ...
    maddoxshow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

2012 SRX FM Radio Reception Is Awful

Hey guys. I am at my wits end with this fm radio issue I have been having since I bought my certified used SRX. The Fm radio keeps cutting out with all stations and has bad static.XM, Am and aux are fine. Its as if the radio never fully locks on the signal. I have no stereo separation. They replaced the radio unit, cabling, antenna and antenna base and the issue still is really bad. No change. I even got a GM engineer to come check out the issue and he says there's no issue. I've never had radio problems in a car until I bought this. It's so bad family members are like what is the deal with your radio. Gm is telling me there's nothing they can do. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lterry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX Premium

Re: 2012 SRX FM Radio Reception Is Awful

I just bought a used 2011 SRX Premium and have the same problem. I live about 50 miles outside of Chicago and have NEVER (not even in the 80's) had trouble picking up Chicago stations. We didn't try out the radio on the test drive, because the salesman suggested we turn it off and close the sunroof to hear how quiet the ride is. My first day with it, I can pick up stations that are 20-30 miles away clearly, but none of the Chicago ones. I can hear the station, but there's more static than anything else. I called the service department and was told "well we can look at it, but to be honest - those cars have antennas in the windshield and they just don't get good reception, really there may be nothing we can do." REALLY??? In a $50,0000 car (new price) - you can't master THE RADIO? I know I bought it used, but for what I paid I shouldn't have to "deal with it." All that money put into an awesome BOSE speaker system, but poor reception.

We called the salesman next. He said that was ridiculous, they should be able to fix it, even if it meant putting in a new windshield. We are taking it in, but what the salesman said really has me questioning whether its just a design issue. That's an awfully expensive car to have an issue like that with. I seriously can't wrap my brain around that one, REALLY?? No radio reception?? Was this on purpose to get more people to subscribe to XM radio?

Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

Wow! MY 2012 has excellent FM reception, even at long distances. It is difficult to believe that your condition is "normal."

I totally agree with both of you. I dont know what else to do. This is what I just posted on Cadillacs Facebook page. I cant believe this is happening.

I am writing you today asking for help. I been driving Cadillacs since I was 16 years old. I love them and they have been in my family for a long time. My grandparents have always owned them and I have owned many. I recently traded in my 2008 Cadillac CTS (which had no radio issues) for a Certified 2012 Premium SRX from Classic Cadillac of Atlanta in Atlanta GA. I am sorry to say this has been the worst car buying experience of my life. I have had FM radio reception issues so bad since I bought the car that I cant listen to my radio at all. Its constant static and cutting in and out on all FM radio stations. I have had multiple co-workers, family and friends comment about the terrible radio reception. The car is under warranty and I have taken it back to Classic Cadillac more then 7 times for them to fix it. Its been over a month and they haven't fixed it. Ive spent more time in a rental (rental SRX radio sounded fine) then in the SRX that I bought. Cadillac sent out a southeast rep named Sam. He said he kinda heard the issue and told me this is not a high end Porsche radio or Custom car radio so your stuck with how it sounds. He had a rude tone in his voice and was talking down to me. I was blown away by his comments. My mouth literally hit the ground. He said in a very rude manner that he will do me a favor and send out an engineer to inspect my SRX and further saying I doubt they will find anything wrong. Sam was supposed to be a rep for the customer and he made me very upset and his attitude was terrible. He for sure did not take the complaint of my radio seriously. He definitely was selling the GM/Cadillac quality short with his comments. A GM engineer came out to look at my radio and refused to speak with me so I could explain the problem im having and demonstrate. He said there is no issue and flat out refused to speak with me. After that ordeal still knowing my radio isnt working right, I took my SRX to multiple stereo shops and they have all said there is a clear issue with the reception of my radio. Cadillac has basically said im out of luck and there's nothing more they can do. I paid a lot for Cadillac quality and im sorry to say that I haven't received it in service or quality of the car. Classic Cadillac is now ignoring my calls. All I want is for them to do whats right and either fix my radio or replace my car with one that is up to Cadillac standards. I have spent the entire time since the purchase of my car fighting to get my radio fixed. I just wish Cadillac would do whats right. I paid for a warranty and for a quality working Cadillac and I have yet to experience any of that with this purchase. I was even about to buy my Fiance a Cadillac, but after all these issues and poor treatment Its not looking like that's gonna happen. Please help! Thanks for your time.

lterry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX Premium

Well my issue was very easily resolved. In actually a very shocking way - and no thanks to the idiot in the service department where we purchased it. We took the car in on Friday afternoon and were again told by the service department that they'd look at it, but there was probably nothing they could do. With the antenna in the windshield, it was just not going to get good reception. My husband told him how he felt about this almost $50K car without FM radio reception. He basically got a shrug of the shoulders from the guy in service.

Right about then, someone from sales in the front (not our salesman, but someone else we had talked to) saw us there and came over to see what was up with the car since we just purchased it days before. We said the FM reception was extremely poor. He took one look at the car and instantly said, "Well, that's because the antenna is missing." Then he walked to the back of the vehicle and pointed to the roof, where the antenna BASE was, but no antenna. There was another SRX in a service bay, he walked over, unscrewed the antenna from the brand new one in the bay, put it on our car and our problem was solved. We were happy but shocked, because we were told the antenna was in the windshield. Now we get just as good of reception as in any other vehicle we've owned. So our problem was solved in literally less than five minutes. These antennas can be just unscrewed from the vehicle and could be very easily stolen.

I don't know if this is the issue for either of you, maybe in the 2012's the antenna really is in the windshield. But look at the roof, right at the back and see if there's antenna. I found another forum thread where they are talking about the shark fin antennas. There's a photo of what the antenna should look with, and another photo of a shark fin antenna. Make sure your vehicle has one!! Hopefully your is an easy fix as well!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...na-update.html

----------

Quote Originally Posted by maddoxshow View Post
    They replaced the radio unit, cabling, antenna and antenna base and the issue still is really bad. No change.
    I just re-read this - you obviously do have an antenna on the roof. Sorry I couldn't help! I wonder if anyone else has been told the antenna is in the windshield?

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Sign into your Onstar account and change your preferred dealer! The dealer you dealt with is NOT the one you want to service your SRX.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

That service person is really up to speed on vehicles!!!! LOL What a joke he or she is. Glad everything is working now. Enjoy the ride and your FM radio......

I would but the rude Atlanta Cadillac rep Sam that had the GM engineer sent out blocked any Cadillac dealer from fixing the radio because the "engineer" didn't find anything wrong. And they don't wanna spend any more money fixing it. Funny because I paid a lot for the extended 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. This is the most ridiculous issue ever. I think there is something emitting Radio Interference in the car. Could be fuel pump, could be anything emitting interference. Which is why I wanted to talk to the GM engineer to brain storm and ask if he could check the car with an RFI meter. But again he refused to speak with me.

I would but the rude Atlanta Cadillac rep Sam that had the GM engineer sent out blocked any Cadillac dealer from fixing the radio because the "engineer" didn't find anything wrong. And they don't wanna spend any more money fixing it. Funny because I paid a lot for the extended 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. This is the most ridiculous issue ever. I think there is something emitting Radio Interference in the car. Could be fuel pump, could be anything emitting interference. Which is why I wanted to talk to the GM engineer to brain storm and ask if he could check the car with an RFI meter. But again he refused to speak with me.
    It's regrettable you are being treated in this manner. As far as future service, my advice to change your preferred dealer still stands. As for the radio interference problem, I would be diligent about continuing the battle up the corporate ladder. Have you contacted the Cadillac Customer Service Representative, I believe it's Katie, that monitors this forum?

I have spoken with Katie over email but the case was already up the ladder. Ive had it up to the GM Executive Office, but after the brilliant GM engineer said there was no issue and that its normal to have that much interference they closed my complaint and said oh well your outta luck. I just cant believe Cadillac would let this go on. The dealership sales manager Brian Long even said that he heard the issue. I even have video of the poor radio reception. I also took it to Best Buy audio and he said dude this is not normal radio function. Every time I get in my SRX I get enraged instead of enjoying it.

You mentioned having the radio, cabling, and antenna replaced. Any chance the speakers are blown out?

Speakers sound great when I plug in my iPhone to the AUX jack and listen to music on that. No static or anything. The only issue is FM.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Do you use radar detector or any other electronic devices in the vehicle?

If all else fails, take it to a reputable audio shop and have them test out an aftermarket radio and see if there are issues. I know that would cost you out of pocket but it might prove there is a problem either with the stock unit or the antenna wiring or speakers somewhere.

You could also find someone else's SRX and swap antennas and see what happens.

Speakers sound great when I plug in my iPhone to the AUX jack and listen to music on that. No static or anything. The only issue is FM.
    If it were me, or more importantly my wife's SRX, there would be no compromise. I would have to pay someone to have the interference problem located and corrected, have everything well documented, and then fight to have GM reimburse the costs.

Hey Adam. No devices are used. I have shut off phones and unplugged all cables and chargers. I tried to find an aftermarket radio and i have been told by multiple stereo shops that that's the only radio that can be in. @beachcad I might have to. Ive been searching for someone to help. Haven't found anyone yet. But Cadillac/GM told me that anyone that isn't a Cadillac Certified dealer they don't listen to/deal with and that the data would be invalid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.