SRX Order 2013 or wait for 2014? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX Order 2013 or wait for 2014? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I am so happy for all of you who have had such good luck with your SRX. However, I suspect ...
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: SRX Order 2013 or wait for 2014?

I am so happy for all of you who have had such good luck with your SRX. However, I suspect that for a few of you the wheels could be falling off the thing and you wouldn't utter a word on this board because it would mean that somehow you were admitting to making a poor buying decision.

Whatever.

I learned my lesson by buying the first year redesign of the SRX (2010). So by my "logic" I am not going to do again with CUE.

If your SRX/CUE experiences are wonderful, who am I to argue. I hope you continue to have great times with them and do not experience any issues.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Seems like there might be some interesting additions, but not enough to make me regret going ahead and buying a 13. Steve, that is very gracious of you. I assume you are talking about me not admitting to any problems. Believe me if i had problems I would vent about them. Our 08 CTS was a nightmare for the first 4 months, and I lit the Edmunds board up. Why would I buy a 13 if my 10 had been a lemon? I also think that some on this board magnify their problems to the extreme amd would not admit to any kind of satisfaction if their life depended on it. I only hope that when you go to buy your next car that you get a good trade in for the SRX. As low mileage as you say it is you should do pretty good trading it for one of your beloved Japanese cars. Have a nice day!

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    2014 no longer e85 compatible. I hope this means the country is finally starting to move away from ethanol.

Also saw the auto high beam lights were available.

Also interested in what the license plate bar is (future mod?)

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I am so happy for all of you who have had such good luck with your SRX. ...

I learned my lesson by buying the first year redesign of the SRX (2010). So by my "logic" I am not going to do again with CUE. If your SRX/CUE experiences are wonderful, who am I to argue. I hope you continue to have great times with them and do not experience any issues.
    You like to compare the new CUE to your overall experiences that you had with your vehicle. There is absolutely NO solid reason why anyone should wait until the next model year to purchase a new SRX because of the newness of the CUE system for there will always be CUE updates in the future i.e. #2,3,4 or 5+

*Every manufacture keeps improving their products just so the buying public will want to keep up with purchasing newer vehicles so that they will have the latest and greatest technology ... hey, it is a secret marketing ploy that will never end.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    ... Also saw the auto high beam lights were available.
    Adamjeeps I just read an article about the new "IntelliBeams" in gminsidernews a pretty neat High Beam dimming feature that will be added into the 2014 Cadillacs/ SRX Driver Awareness Pkg.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...llibeam-13164/

Cadillac's Intellibeam
    by Jim Kerr

Cadillac has led other car makes with many innovations over the years. From being the first manufacturer to install electric engine starters way back in 1912, to synchro-mesh manual transmissions in its 1929 models and infrared night vision in 2000, technology limits have been pushed further forward. Now, Cadillac has introduced another first: Intellibeam.

Intellibeam, an option on the 2005 Cadillac STS, is a new way of controlling high-beam headlamps. The concept is not new. In 1952, Cadillac introduced the Autronic Eye system, which used a dash-mounted sensor to automatically dim the high beam headlamps for oncoming traffic. Intellibeam does this too, but in a much more sophisticated way.

Using a small light-sensing chip that is able to detect light similar to the way the human eye does, Intellibeam will turn off the high beam headlamps as oncoming traffic approaches. Rather than switching directly from high-beam to low-beam operation, the Intellibeam system gradually dims the high beams as approaching vehicles get closer. The high beam indicator on the dash shows they are either on or off, but the actual operation of the high beams provides gradual dimming or increases in illumination.

This is a great safety feature. Normally, when headlamps are dimmed from high beam to low beam, there is a period of time when the space between the two vehicles is dark and hard to see. Intellibeam provides maximum illumination all the time, eliminating these difficult areas.

The Intellibeam's digital light sensor and electronics are located in a module mounted on the back side of the interior rear view mirror. The light sensor analyzes the light colour, intensity and movement to distinguish between vehicle lights and other light sources along the roadside. This was a problem with earlier automatic dimming systems, which could be triggered by street or yard lights, or illuminated signs, causing the high beams to flash off and on. Intellibeam is designed to ignore non-vehicular light sources.

The Intellibeam module controls a high-beam headlamp driver module. This module looks just like a relay, but is a solid-state device that uses pulse width modulation - a rapid on/off switching of the voltage on a circuit -- to control the output to the headlamp filament. Typically, the voltage is switched from battery voltage or charging system voltage to zero volts several times a second. Some headlamp modules I have tested will do this at 128 cycles per second! By controlling the on time in relationship to the off time, the average voltage of circuit is regulated. For example, if the high voltage is 12 volts and the low is zero, and the on time is equal for both, the average voltage would be six volts. If the high voltage time was longer than the zero voltage time, then the average would be higher.

Many automotive systems, such as EGR, canister purge and interior lamp dimming, use pulse width modulation to control their operation.

Intellibeam detects tail lights as well as headlamps. As another vehicle passes and the red tail lights come into view, the Intellibeam high beams are immediately switched to low-beam operation. As the vehicle pulls further away, the high beams gradually brighten. If the vehicle in front turns off on another road, the Intellibeam high beams will rapidly increase to full illumination.

With Intellibeam, drivers can forget to dim their high beams, and other drivers aren't blinded. However, there are a few situations when driver control may be needed. If the windshield is dirty, the light sensor can't properly monitor other light sources. The driver may need to manually dim the lights. Similarly, if the oncoming vehicle's lights are covered in ice or snow or there is road spray, the lights may not be recognized by the Intellibeam sensor.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have been temporarily blinded by oncoming drivers that failed to dim their headlamps. Similarly, I have also been guilty of forgetting this on more than one occasion. Intellibeam helps protect other driver's night vision, but of equal importance, it provides the maximum light on the road at all times so night driving is safer. Keep those innovations coming, Cadillac.

Jim Kerr is a master automotive mechanic and teaches automotive technology. He has been writing automotive articles for fifteen years for newspapers and magazines in Canada and the United States, and is a member of the Automotive Journalist's Association of Canada (AJAC).

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Wow, that is more impressive than just auto on/off high beams. My in-laws Escalade has the auto high and low, but this is a whole new level. It also sounds like this will hurt those who want to change out the high beams to HID or LED, since it most likely won't work with varying levels of high-beam brightness.

b4z

Also the caramel/ebony is one of my favorites in the xts and ats, glad to see the srx is getting it for 2014.

b4z

Meanwhile I will dream of the day when a second gen srx luxury, performance or premium can be had without a sunroof. Doubtful it will happen by the time the second gen is replaced.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I wonder how that system will respond to aftermarket, and often ridiculous colored, HID headlamps. Many drivers seem to be unconcerned with the actual functionality of their headlamps. The effect on other drivers is even less of a concern. Looking cool is the primary objective. Still, I'm intrigued by this sophisticated sounding design.
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.

scottrobb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX4 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    One more reason I would wait on 2014 CUE is here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3279264
    GM just released an update for CUE which I have now installed into my 2013 SRX4. It has addressed the laggyness in response and added a much nicer voice. I have had none of the problems that are referred to in the link that you provided.

I think the only real difference between the 2013 and 2014 models Will be the addition of a CUE configurable dashboard as is seen on the current XTS. This does not come from an official source or anything, It's just an educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrobb View Post
    GM just released an update for CUE which I have now installed into my 2013 SRX4. It has addressed the laggyness in response and added a much nicer voice. I have had none of the problems that are referred to in the link that you provided.

I think the only real difference between the 2013 and 2014 models Will be the addition of a CUE configurable dashboard as is seen on the current XTS. This does not come from an official source or anything, It's just an educated guess.
    The only thing different that I have heard about for the 2014 SRX is that the Driver Awareness Pkg will now come with the "Auto Headlight Dimming" feature. I do not believe the SRX will be getting the full version of the configurable CUE like the XTS has.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.