2010 2.8 turbo-- gas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2010 2.8 turbo-- gas in Cadillac SRX Forums; Can I use regular gas in this SUV? Or should I stay with super? Please list some reasons why and ...
    antdre20 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD 2.8 Turbo

2010 2.8 turbo-- gas

Can I use regular gas in this SUV? Or should I stay with super? Please list some reasons why and not thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2010 2.8 turbo-- gas

straight from the owner's manual

If the vehicle has the 2.8L V6 engine (VIN Code 4), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. For best performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 93. In an emergency, you can use regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 or higher. If 87 octane fuel is used, do not perform any aggressive driving maneuvers such as wide open throttle applications. You might also hear audible spark knock during acceleration. Refill the tank with premium fuel as soon as possible to avoid damaging the engine. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 91octane or higher, the engine needs service.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Need premium (as Rippy said) with the higher compression of the turbo. If you dont, you'll have detonation which can cause motor damage. The octane rating has nothing to do with anything other than resisting detonation/knocking. However any higher compression motor will generally have detonation problems without it. Its not so much for performance as it is to stop the knock. Yes, the knock will reduce performance, but its the damage to the motor you would be more concerned with.

Most everything out there says "use only recommended gasoline grades". Higher octane doesnt really increase power (a gallon of gas has the same energy, no matter octane) so if the book says regular, use regular; if it says premium, use premium.

Kinda rambling, but hopefully you get the point. Just trying to explain 'why'.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Here's a pretty good explanation of octane and how it relates to compression ratio

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm

the short version is that if you use 87 it will spontaneously combust due to compression instead of combusting by spark
    the exact timing of the combustion events is crucial to operating correctly and the premature combustion causes knock
    severe knock can cause serious engine damage
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Turbo Dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium 2.8 Turbo AWD |Platinum Ice Tricoat

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

Auto journalists blew up a 2.8t SRX by running it with 87. I know GM likes to say it's ok to run 87 with reduced performance, wouldn't catch me trying that to save a few bux.

Turbo Dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium 2.8 Turbo AWD |Platinum Ice Tricoat

After many years of drag racing turbo funnybikes, I have seen what detonation can produce. A very hurt wallet. I'll spent the extra $3.00 filling up and get on with it.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I agree with both Turbo and zinner.
    What I sometimes THINK tho is that the knock sensors 'should' fix most detonation situations, retarding the timing some to cut down on it... Perhaps my understanding of the system is over-simplified (or wrong) but I always kinda thought that one might be able to coax the computer to more power with high octane, assuming the computer 'should' just keep advancing the timing until it heard a knock...
    Like I said, in theory, that might work. Reality is surely something different...

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Throw in Premium!!!!!Keep your engine performance up.....

SRX CADDI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 2.8T

how about middle grade fuel...gas is expensive here in Canada

Marc NY is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by SRX CADDI View Post
    how about middle grade fuel...gas is expensive here in Canada
    You can use regular or middle grade gas for the short term and your computer will adjust the engine's timing and performance automatically. However, you will notice there will be some loss of HP and your gas mileage will also be affected too. I see hundreds of Canadians come to the US for shopping savings and gas savings. They fill up as many as 3 and 4 Five gal. gas cans all the time to take back with them.

IMO I would try not to use mid grade or regular gass for more than a couple of tanks full.

SRX CADDI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 2.8T

ok thanks...people like that have a lot of time to come there and fill up gas cans...let me guess they are all driving 4 bangers...lol

Marc NY is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by SRX CADDI View Post
    ok thanks...people like that have a lot of time to come there and fill up gas cans...let me guess they are all driving 4 bangers...lol
    Actually, I see a lot of big truck and van owners filling up their gas tanks and gas cans too ... LOL Hey come on down and visit the good ole US of A and save $$$

BTW: If you know anyone up in the great North who might like a great deal on a slightly used and beautiful 2013 SRX this summer just let me know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.