When to Refuel?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, When to Refuel? in Cadillac SRX Forums; So there was a thread discussing fuel pump failures and the stress that running the fuel tank low places on ...
    300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

When to Refuel?

So there was a thread discussing fuel pump failures and the stress that running the fuel tank low places on the fuel pump. I've looked in the owner's manual and can't find anything with regard to letting the fuel level get below a certain point. I'm wondering if there's anything in writing, as opposed to speculation and conjecture, with regard to this issue. Some here have said that half a tank is the threshold for refueling. I have always let my fuel level drop to at least 1/4 before refueling on all of my vehicles without any adverse effects, and I've never seen anything from an auto manufacturer that stated this may cause problems. I know we have some mechanics in here as well. So please tell me how low is too low,why, and cite a source. I don't want to hurt my SRX, but don't feel like running to the gas station all the time.
    vi2k13 and vi2k13 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: When to Refuel?

First of all the intank pump is lubricated by the fuel and no fuel no lub and cooling. Second the tank pump only pumps fuel to the secondary hi pressurepump and if it goes dry you going to be replacing both pumps. Can you spell EXPENSIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by redvett94
    First of all the intank pump is lubricated by the fuel and no fuel no lub and cooling. Second the tank pump only pumps fuel to the secondary hi pressurepump and if it goes dry you going to be replacing both pumps. Can you spell EXPENSIVE.
    But at what point should you refuel to a sound costly repairs? Why is this not mentioned anywhere in the manual? No need to insult me.

I was not insulting you or anyone else i was educating you on what happens with all vehicles with electric pumps. You are best to not go below 1/4 tank if possible.

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    But at what point should you refuel to a sound costly repairs? Why is this not mentioned anywhere in the manual? No need to insult me.
    Hello 300:29:1,
    I don't think there was any intention by anyone of insulting you. The 1/4 mark is a good indication that it's time to refuel. If you consistently allow the fuel level to get low enough to cause the low fuel indicator to display, then you will be flirting with the afore-mentioned expensive repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by beachcad

Hello 300:29:1,
    I don't think there was any intention by anyone of insulting you. The 1/4 mark is a good indication that it's time to refuel. If you consistently allow the fuel level to get low enough to cause the low fuel indicator to display, then you will be flirting with the afore-mentioned expensive repairs.
    So 1/4 is reasonable then? Some have said 1/2. 1/4 seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    So 1/4 is reasonable then? Some have said 1/2. 1/4 seems reasonable.
    Needing to refuel at 1/2 tank is absurd. The in-tank pump is on the bottom and will still be submersed even below an 1/8, typically. We all know that different vehicles have varying degrees of how the fuel level is displayed. The first 1/2 may "last" a lot longer than the second 1/2! This is a primary reason that the 1/4 level is used as a "safe" measure. My daughter used to consistently wait for the low fuel indicator before refueling, and consequently, ended up having to replace the fuel pump. I have normally refueled anywhere between a 1/8 and 1/4 level without any problems.

P.S - I have seen the low fuel warning light on occasions too!

All you need is to keep the pump cool and lubricated. What happens is when the vehicle runs out of gas and you try to start it or turn on the Ign. the pump will run dry.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Agreed with most here, its probably a preference thing, but the tank design probably allows that 1/8-1/4 is fine. Also, just as some food for thought, if you are constantly driving around topping off your tank, you're carrying around 75 pounds of useless weight. In my old trailblazer, I swore I was getting 2 mpg better when nearly empty than when topped off. Probably all in my head.

Precisely! But I also intended to mention another factor that we usually don't consider, and that is whether the vehicle is being driven on an incline or decline, or sharp curves. These factors can cause the fuel to be slanted away from the pump, if the fuel is at a low level.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Just imagine if we weren't still stuck on fossil fuels this would not even be a problem. (Nor would the high price of gas.)

What do think we should use? If CNG catches on and it will, NG is going to be expensive. Plug in cars still use fuel to power the power generating plants.
    Diesel fuel is projected to incresase 300% by 2016 and thats why new Long Haul Semis 39% are now being built to use CNG.
    If you want to drive your going to pay regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Just imagine if we weren't still stuck on fossil fuels this would not even be a problem. (Nor would the high price of gas.)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

letting the tank run low on fuel isn't necessarily that big of a problem
    but never filling it all the way up and always running low on fuel is

for instance if you only put $10-$20 in at a time and just fill up the tank a little bit (and consequently visit the pump more often)
    you run a much higher risk of pump failure than if you always let it get to the 'low fuel' message but then fill it up all the way
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

Yes, running out of fuel can damage a fuel pump. However, I've never seen any reputable, reliable source which substantiates, running down to the low warning light is a cause of failure.

I know a guy who is a fleet service manager and the fuel tank of every vehicle is filled every morning. They still regularly have to replace GM fuel pumps.

jack vines

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by redvett94 View Post
    What do think we should use? If CNG catches on and it will, NG is going to be expensive. Plug in cars still use fuel to power the power generating plants.
    Diesel fuel is projected to incresase 300% by 2016 and thats why new Long Haul Semis 39% are now being built to use CNG.
    If you want to drive your going to pay regardless.
    What about hydrogen fuel cells? Water vapor is the byproduct. California had some refuel stations going for that tech but I haven't heard much about it lately.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/25/bu...fuel-cell-cars

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.