Should I be concerned with Consumer Reports' review of the SRX 2013?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Should I be concerned with Consumer Reports' review of the SRX 2013? in Cadillac SRX Forums; The SRX is topping the list for my next car, but Consumer Reports' review has me nervous. They only gave ...
    kaedwards is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium, Gray Flannel, on order

Should I be concerned with Consumer Reports' review of the SRX 2013?

The SRX is topping the list for my next car, but Consumer Reports' review has me nervous. They only gave it a 62 out of 100 overall, and rated it less than average for reliability. According to their surveys, the Owner Satisfaction rate on this car is low, with only 59% saying they'd buy it again if they had it to do over. (Not to be confused with buying it for the second time - a subtle but important difference.)

So I was hoping to hear from the owners here... is CR on the nose? Would you buy this again if you had it to do over? Any regrets? This is a large purchase for any of us, and I just want to make sure I'm making a smart decision.

CR also rated visibility and responsiveness low, so if you have feedback on those, would love to hear that as well!

Thank you!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

halp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX & 2004 CTS

Re: Should I be concerned with Consumer Reports' review of the SRX 2013?

I have a 2011 AWD with 17,000 miles on it. It is great, and I only have the 270 hp motor. I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited for it and the SRX is much better. All I have done so far is have the oil changed and tires rotated (for free). At 5000 miles the dealer did do a programming update that made the shifting much smoother.
    kaedwards and kaedwards like this.

cadillac 31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

consumer report full of shit ...wait nissan altima is there top car still???....please
    GMJim, GMJim, Huey Driver and 3 others like this.

Terry Judkins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I have a 2010 and am very pleased. No problems. Just oil changes and tire rotations.
    I tend to take Consumer Reports opinions with a grain of salt. My feeling is that that the folks that run the operation and the majority of the subscribers have a bias against American made cars.
    allgm, allgm, Huey Driver and 5 others like this.

Ponyman is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

I did buy it again. We had a 10 Premium that was bsically trouble free. Now a 13 Premium that has been trouble free so far, but we only hav about 4,000 miles on it. The 13 has had a lot of kinks worked out compared to the 10. Bigger more powerful engine, better ride, more comfortable seats, CUE etc. Right now I would buy a third one. Of course by the time we get ready to trade again, who knw what will be out there.
    kaedwards and kaedwards like this.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

I am on my third GEN II SRX and with all the new improvements in safety and comfort it just keeps getting better and better!

Oh...YES! I will be definitely be buying another SRX.

SteveWise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

kaedwards, I have also done a lot of research and have learned a lot about vehicles in this class (full disclosure: I have a 2013 SRX Premium on order). I discount Consumer Reports' opinion a lot because they historically have what I consider an irrational love of Japanese-made vehicles over similar American vehicles. My guess is that in this class the Lexus RX350 had the best overall ratings. Other vehicles I've looked at were the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Audi Q5. On style and comfort alone, I would have chosen the Jeep, but it was just too big for my needs. I didn't like the interior of the Audi. I also considered the Range Rover Evoque, and didn't like that interior either, and have concerns with quality as time goes on.

Do you know how many people were sampled in the CR survey? What was the biggest reason for their dissatisfaction? Do you have a web link to the CR article so others can read it? A lot of times people are angry at themselves for investing a lot of money in something they really didn't want and made an emotional decision because of a sales pitch. They just complain about the vehicle because they won't actually blame themselves.

Read the forums here...there are complaints about CUE and other aspects of the 2013 SRX, and among those complaints I remember only 1 or 2 who have said they won't buy another SRX or Cadillac. There are many compliments and good reviews. Read about previous model years that have underpowered engines or don't have the safety features or technology that the 2013 does. Ask those who did or didn't plan to buy a 2013 after having an earlier model...why did they make their decision? Did others pick a 2013 SRX because they were dissatisfied with something else?

Any car, be it a Ford, Hyundai, Cadillac, or Bugatti...it is going to have flaws. Pick the vehicle you like based on the things you like best, and deal with what you like least. I'm a technology professional and really love the CUE, and even though I haven't used it in everyday, it has impressed me tremendously. It's first generation technology and will have its share of flaws. Some say that Cadillac may have hurried it too quickly to market, but the issues are mostly usability issues with music players and navigation (yes, others too). There are fortunately no safety issues. One thing is that Cadillac is making a laudable effort to fix issues only 6 months into the first model year, plus giving them $50 and a tank of gas for their inconvenience. They didn't have to do that.

Lastly, good luck with whatever you decide to get, and I hope you're happy with it.
    Marc NY, Marc NY, vi2k13 and 1 others like this.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by kaedwards View Post
    The SRX is topping the list for my next car, but Consumer Reports' review has me nervous. They only gave it a 62 out of 100 overall, and rated it less than average for reliability. According to their surveys, the Owner Satisfaction rate on this car is low, with only 59% saying they'd buy it again if they had it to do over. (Not to be confused with buying it for the second time - a subtle but important difference.)

So I was hoping to hear from the owners here... is CR on the nose? Would you buy this again if you had it to do over? Any regrets? This is a large purchase for any of us, and I just want to make sure I'm making a smart decision.

CR also rated visibility and responsiveness low, so if you have feedback on those, would love to hear that as well!

Thank you!!!

My experience with the 2010 SRX is such that I won't be buying another Cadillac. Based on previous cars I have owned I can see why CR rates this vehicle as "less than average reliability". Mine will be out of warranty in Jan 2014 and I plan on being out of it by that time as well.

See the following link for all the things that have been fixed on mine under warranty:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3125055

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I didnt even consider anything other than the SRX when I bought my '12. Will get another (or whatever is in the same class in 2015) when I get my next one in 2015. But, not trying to boot lick some on this board, I will never buy anything other than GM (dont tell my salesman tho)...
    I dont believe much of what CR says about US cars. Pretty sure their review is based on the 2010s since while I realize there were issues with that year, by the time we get to 2012 (and the LFX motor) most issues are resolved.

Edmunds did a review of the 2013. http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/srx/2013/

I'll give CR the benefit of the doubt and say they probably dont have time to update car reviews, considering they need to fit in reviews of refrigerators and vacuums too...

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Our 2012 SRX4 Premium has been the best new car we've ever owned. I'd buy another one without any fear about quality or proper operation. Consumer Reports has long been known for poor and inaccurate opinions on a number of products. I'll do my own research for my major purchases without a need for Consumer Reports.
    Bill

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

To be honest, the main reason we bought our 2012 was the deal we got on it, plus the $4,000 round up in GM Card earnings. We didn't even shop other vehicles. My wife liked it so we bought it. I didn't want 3 vehicles all out of warranty plus our 07 RX 350 was due for some expenses that I'd rather put into a brand new vehicle.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

CR reviews are often nonsensical imo. I DO feel that buying a 2013 wouldn't be the best choice as it's the first MY with some significant changes/improvements. A 2012 might be a better choice, or wait for next year to see some bugs worked out. There are several early adopters here who all seem to be very pleased with their 2013 SRX's. I will say that my 2012 has been very good after 7 months and 5,000 miles. I regret not getting HID headlamps, but am very put off by them not being available as a standalone option-or at least included in something lower than the top 2 tiers. Why should larger wheels be required to get HID headlamps? In this case, GM seems to be alone in restricting their availability. Drive the 2013 and see how you like it. You get 4 years of scheduled maintenance and a nice App for your smartphone too. I don't know much about CUE, but you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with it.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Consumer Reports reviews have never been reliable. For example, they currently rate the Chrysler 300 as average mechanically and recommend the vehicle. They rate the Dodge Charger as much worse than average and won't recommend it. Other than some sheet metal, and the amount of standard equipment, they are the same vehicle built on the same assembly line. There have been numerous examples of this type of flaw over the years. This tells me that their sample size is not large enough to be statistically valid. I'd never consider them as a source for my car buying decisions.

Phil

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

If you look at the reliability record for the 2012 SRX on CR, it's just about all 1/2 solid or fully solid red circles (so very reliable). We bought our 2012 Performance and it's been a great SUV. I would very highly recommend one. I saw the CUE at the dealership in an XTS. I bought the 2012 because CUE wasn't that important to me and since it was the 1st year out, I assumed there would be some bugs to work out. With scheduled maintenance to 50,000 miles and a decent warranty, I'd buy another in a second.

witz5557 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 AWD Performance SRX
    I am very satisfied with my 2012 Performance SRX. No issues so far after purchasing it in September. I do not usually purchase first model year vehicles but the 2013 SRX really is not a new model but one with some nice new refinements. CUE sounds like most new users are not having too many issues......unlike the Ford version that was launched so that is good news. As for the blind spot monitors and lane drifting warnings I wish they were available on the 2012. It appears Cadillac is getting it right and I would purchase a 2013 SRX if I was in the market for a new replacement vehicle.
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.