Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Should I be concerned with Consumer Reports' review of the SRX 2013?

21K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  btk301 
#1 ·
The SRX is topping the list for my next car, but Consumer Reports' review has me nervous. They only gave it a 62 out of 100 overall, and rated it less than average for reliability. According to their surveys, the Owner Satisfaction rate on this car is low, with only 59% saying they'd buy it again if they had it to do over. (Not to be confused with buying it for the second time - a subtle but important difference.)

So I was hoping to hear from the owners here... is CR on the nose? Would you buy this again if you had it to do over? Any regrets? This is a large purchase for any of us, and I just want to make sure I'm making a smart decision.

CR also rated visibility and responsiveness low, so if you have feedback on those, would love to hear that as well!

Thank you!!!

#5 ·
I did buy it again. We had a 10 Premium that was bsically trouble free. Now a 13 Premium that has been trouble free so far, but we only hav about 4,000 miles on it. The 13 has had a lot of kinks worked out compared to the 10. Bigger more powerful engine, better ride, more comfortable seats, CUE etc. Right now I would buy a third one. Of course by the time we get ready to trade again, who knw what will be out there.

#7 ·
kaedwards, I have also done a lot of research and have learned a lot about vehicles in this class (full disclosure: I have a 2013 SRX Premium on order). I discount Consumer Reports' opinion a lot because they historically have what I consider an irrational love of Japanese-made vehicles over similar American vehicles. My guess is that in this class the Lexus RX350 had the best overall ratings. Other vehicles I've looked at were the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Audi Q5. On style and comfort alone, I would have chosen the Jeep, but it was just too big for my needs. I didn't like the interior of the Audi. I also considered the Range Rover Evoque, and didn't like that interior either, and have concerns with quality as time goes on.

Do you know how many people were sampled in the CR survey? What was the biggest reason for their dissatisfaction? Do you have a web link to the CR article so others can read it? A lot of times people are angry at themselves for investing a lot of money in something they really didn't want and made an emotional decision because of a sales pitch. They just complain about the vehicle because they won't actually blame themselves.

Read the forums here...there are complaints about CUE and other aspects of the 2013 SRX, and among those complaints I remember only 1 or 2 who have said they won't buy another SRX or Cadillac. There are many compliments and good reviews. Read about previous model years that have underpowered engines or don't have the safety features or technology that the 2013 does. Ask those who did or didn't plan to buy a 2013 after having an earlier model...why did they make their decision? Did others pick a 2013 SRX because they were dissatisfied with something else?

Any car, be it a Ford, Hyundai, Cadillac, or Bugatti...it is going to have flaws. Pick the vehicle you like based on the things you like best, and deal with what you like least. I'm a technology professional and really love the CUE, and even though I haven't used it in everyday, it has impressed me tremendously. It's first generation technology and will have its share of flaws. Some say that Cadillac may have hurried it too quickly to market, but the issues are mostly usability issues with music players and navigation (yes, others too). There are fortunately no safety issues. One thing is that Cadillac is making a laudable effort to fix issues only 6 months into the first model year, plus giving them $50 and a tank of gas for their inconvenience. They didn't have to do that.

Lastly, good luck with whatever you decide to get, and I hope you're happy with it.

#8 ·
My experience with the 2010 SRX is such that I won't be buying another Cadillac. Based on previous cars I have owned I can see why CR rates this vehicle as "less than average reliability". Mine will be out of warranty in Jan 2014 and I plan on being out of it by that time as well.

See the following link for all the things that have been fixed on mine under warranty:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-how-many-times-has-your-srx.html#post3125055

#9 · (Edited)
I didnt even consider anything other than the SRX when I bought my '12. Will get another (or whatever is in the same class in 2015) when I get my next one in 2015. But, not trying to boot lick some on this board, I will never buy anything other than GM (dont tell my salesman tho)... :thumbsup:
I dont believe much of what CR says about US cars. Pretty sure their review is based on the 2010s since while I realize there were issues with that year, by the time we get to 2012 (and the LFX motor) most issues are resolved.

Edmunds did a review of the 2013. http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/srx/2013/

I'll give CR the benefit of the doubt and say they probably dont have time to update car reviews, considering they need to fit in reviews of refrigerators and vacuums too...

#10 ·
Our 2012 SRX4 Premium has been the best new car we've ever owned. I'd buy another one without any fear about quality or proper operation. Consumer Reports has long been known for poor and inaccurate opinions on a number of products. I'll do my own research for my major purchases without a need for Consumer Reports.
Bill

#11 ·
To be honest, the main reason we bought our 2012 was the deal we got on it, plus the $4,000 round up in GM Card earnings. We didn't even shop other vehicles. My wife liked it so we bought it. I didn't want 3 vehicles all out of warranty plus our 07 RX 350 was due for some expenses that I'd rather put into a brand new vehicle.

#12 ·
CR reviews are often nonsensical imo. I DO feel that buying a 2013 wouldn't be the best choice as it's the first MY with some significant changes/improvements. A 2012 might be a better choice, or wait for next year to see some bugs worked out. There are several early adopters here who all seem to be very pleased with their 2013 SRX's. I will say that my 2012 has been very good after 7 months and 5,000 miles. I regret not getting HID headlamps, but am very put off by them not being available as a standalone option-or at least included in something lower than the top 2 tiers. Why should larger wheels be required to get HID headlamps? In this case, GM seems to be alone in restricting their availability. Drive the 2013 and see how you like it. You get 4 years of scheduled maintenance and a nice App for your smartphone too. I don't know much about CUE, but you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with it.

#13 ·
Consumer Reports reviews have never been reliable. For example, they currently rate the Chrysler 300 as average mechanically and recommend the vehicle. They rate the Dodge Charger as much worse than average and won't recommend it. Other than some sheet metal, and the amount of standard equipment, they are the same vehicle built on the same assembly line. There have been numerous examples of this type of flaw over the years. This tells me that their sample size is not large enough to be statistically valid. I'd never consider them as a source for my car buying decisions.

Phil

#14 ·
If you look at the reliability record for the 2012 SRX on CR, it's just about all 1/2 solid or fully solid red circles (so very reliable). We bought our 2012 Performance and it's been a great SUV. I would very highly recommend one. I saw the CUE at the dealership in an XTS. I bought the 2012 because CUE wasn't that important to me and since it was the 1st year out, I assumed there would be some bugs to work out. With scheduled maintenance to 50,000 miles and a decent warranty, I'd buy another in a second.

#15 ·
I am very satisfied with my 2012 Performance SRX. No issues so far after purchasing it in September. I do not usually purchase first model year vehicles but the 2013 SRX really is not a new model but one with some nice new refinements. CUE sounds like most new users are not having too many issues......unlike the Ford version that was launched so that is good news. As for the blind spot monitors and lane drifting warnings I wish they were available on the 2012. It appears Cadillac is getting it right and I would purchase a 2013 SRX if I was in the market for a new replacement vehicle.

#17 ·
I bought a 2013 Performance SRX and have a little over 5,000 miles on it. I am very happy. I also was cautious after reading the CR review, but it appeared to me that a lot if their dissatisfaction centered around CUE. Before buying, I downloaded all of the CUE videos. The learning curve on CUE is similar to the learning curve on an iPhone. It takes time to learn how to get the most out of it. The large rear view mirror assembly was noticeable at first but I don't notice it now. That may have been what CR was talking about regarding visibility. Wayne

#21 ·
According to their surveys, the Owner Satisfaction rate on this car is low, with only 59% saying they'd buy it again if they had it to do over. (Not to be confused with buying it for the second time - a subtle but important difference.)
I am confused about this distinction, does "buying it for a second time" mean that if you are as ignorant as you were originally you would make the same mistake again? And "buy it again if they had to do it over" - mean that they have realized their mistake and can act in hindsight?

----------

I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited for it and the SRX is much better.
Halp what year of Grand Cherokee was it? Was it a 1998 or a 2012? I wish when people reference a previous vehicle they would tell us the year since the same model vehicle can be much different, for example the 2009 SRX and a 2010 SRX.

#22 ·
... Would you buy this again if you had it to do over? Any regrets? ...
2011 SRX Premium:

Not only would I not buy another SRX, I doubt seriously that I will ever buy another GM product. GM refuses to acknowledge, much less deal with, the incessant fuel dilution to the motor oil problem that exists with their direct injection (DI) engines. Mine accumulates over 5% fuel in the oil (per independent lab analysis) over the course of a week on the wife's ten mile per day trip to and ten mile per day trip from work. The lab categorizes this level as severe and recommends the oil be changed. Contrary to GM's claim, this fuel does not evaporate to an acceptable level with subsequent extended operation. I have multiple lab reports to substantiate it. Maybe some DI engines do not have this problem, but I would wager that most people do not know the problem exists with their engine because they haven't bothered to have a lab analysis done.

BTW, Katie from Cadillac Customer Service was worthless in assisting me with this problem.

#23 ·
I'm curious as to how you figured out that the oil dilution problem existed in the first place. I have been on this forum since 2010 and this is the first I've heard of this. Are you saying that gas is somehow making it into the oil reservoir? If the gas is not evaporating, where is it going?

#24 ·
Steve, this is the first I have heard of this happening also. It must not be a common problem or this and other boards would be alive with comments about it. I suspect the gas is staying in the oil pan, thus diluting the engine oil, and that could cause serious damage to the internals.

#30 ·
... I just went out and checked, the oil level is at full, not over full, and has no gasoline smell.
As oil is a petroleum product as well, it takes a very discerning nose to recognize the difference especially at lower levels of dilution. I whiffed mine at one sample pull and thought I didn't smell any but it came back from the lab a bit over 3% fuel, even after an ~250 highway mile trip with only two or three stops. That is a tolerable level according to the lab and technical writers, but is still boarder line. Most say about 4% dilution is the max safe level. The next week after the daily commute it was back over 5%. I say in a $40,000 car there shouldn't be any fuel in the oil.

----------

I have never checked my own oil level ... .
You are the GM Corporation's dream owner.

... If you have legitimate tests that prove there is gasoline in the oil have you confronted your GM dealer about it? If so, what was their reaction? Can you point us to a GM response to this issue? ...
Multiple dealers say that since it is not "throwing any codes" they have no problems to address, even in light of the analyses. (A good friend who is a GM certified master mechanic says he knows what the problem likely is and what the solution would be, but he works at the Chevrolet dealership, not the Cadillac place. And it would appear to be quite the expensive proposition if GM were to attempt to address the situation on all of its DI engines. I am not invoking his assistance for fear that his job situation may suffer.) In an attempt to help me deal with this situation I formulated a list of questions about the circumstances under which the dilution was most likely to happen and what I could do to help mitigate it and submitted it to multiple dealers. They just returned them to me and said they don't know. They just said you have a warranty to cover the engine. One dealer suggested I open a GM Customer Care Case to have the situation dealt with and gave me the number to call. I was told that only the dealer could open a Customer Care Case. I insisted one be opened, and it eventually was, but then summarily closed without me even being informed. I finally spoke with someone in the GM Customer Relations Department who reiterated that I have a warranty to take care of any problems, that GM doesn't recognize such independent lab analyses and that the answer to the questions I submitted was proprietary information.

In short, GM apparently doesn't give a rip and has yet to provide me anything in writing that I can share with you. It has been nothing but deny and obfuscate. And apparently the typical new GM car owner doesn't have the knowledge, skills or ability (or maybe they just don't care either) to recognize it and demand satisfaction. It has only served to give me a real bad and indelible impression of the 'new' GM.

#27 ·
I have had my 2012 SRX AWD Premium going on a year and a half and have only had it back to the dealer once, other than inspection and oil change, because the engine oil was over-filled when I picked it up. It has been trouble free and I would not hesitate to buy another. By the way, this is my third Cadillac and all have been virtually trouble free. You will always find someone who gets a lemon but that's not only restricted to Cadillacs. Consumer Reports claims that they are unbiased because they take no advertisers - I don't believe them.

#29 ·
Steve, if this is happening, then you would know fairly quickly. With gas in the oil, it will thin out, not lubricate as well, and not keep the cushion between metal parts. In other words, things will wear and begin to come apart fairly quickly. I am not saying Doyal doesn't have this problem, but if it were widespread, there would be no keeping it qiet. So, go out and check your oil, see if it is overfull, and smell it to see if there is a gas smell. Being overfull is not necessarily bad. Many oil change people routinely put either too little, or too much oil in at the change. Just trying to do it as quickly as possible, and not being entirely accurate.

#31 ·
The fact of the matter is that your car has not broken down or failed in any way so far. I understand the concern but until this becomes an actual problem there is no way that GM is going to do anything.

I don't mean to brush off your concern but you've got to look at it from their side. Just because you have found that your car has gas in the oil at a higher percentage than would be normal their responsibility is to fix it when it breaks, not pre-fix it before it break... because it might not break.

You may be on to something and in a few years gas in the oil might become something that is tested for in the regularly scheduled maintenance (paid for under the warranty)... But it also might just be an anecdotal experience that is not widespread.

Time will tell.

#32 ·
... until this becomes an actual problem ...
RPD, if any machine consistently operates outside of its engineering design parameters, there should be no argument that there is an "actual problem". The question then becomes what are the engineering design parameters for fuel dilution in GM's VVT SIDI HFV6. Do you know? Care to find out and share it with me? Hopefully you do or you will because GM refuses to ... proprietary information and all that. Can you agree that that should raise one's suspicions? Would you be satisfied if you were in my position?

#33 ·
I've owned a lot of cars over the years and a lot of them have been unfavorably rated by CR. I have learn over the years that CR bases a lot of their reviews on surveys that have been commissioned by different groups and they know who is buttering their bread, so to speak. A lot of people who fill out these surveys also have an unrealistic expectations of new cars. I have seen some reports where they are nitpicking fitment issues where they are showing pictures and for the life of me, I can't even see what they are talking about. I'm as crazy about my cars as the next guy and if something isn't right I will take it back to the dealership in a heart beat and continue to take it back until it is right. That being said, of all the cars that I have had that were reviewed badly by CR, the last car that I had to have something fixed under warranty was a 2002 Ford I had that had a broken air bag clock spring in the steering wheel. Since that time I've had 12 cars. That's 12 cars that according to CR had reliability problems that never went back to a dealership other than for oil changes or tire rotations. Every car has their own little quirks but that doesn't mean that something is broken or something is wrong with them. Needless to say, either I have been VERY lucky or something is wrong at CR. If you want to know the truth, talk to people directly that have owned the cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.