KeyFob left in car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, KeyFob left in car in Cadillac SRX Forums; After browsing the forum for information on what really happens when you leave a fob in the car (SRX 2013 ...
    bmclachlan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX, 2009 XLR

Question KeyFob left in car

After browsing the forum for information on what really happens when you leave a fob in the car (SRX 2013 Premium). Here's what I think I know:

1. My wife & I have our own fobs and we are both in the car. I am the driver.
    2. We park and exit. She leaves her purse in the car with her fob.
    3. Upon exiting and both doors closing, the car beeps 3 times indicating a fob has been left in the car.
    4. We walk away and hear the car beep 1 time indicating the car locks.

So if this is correct - that the car will lock anyway - then how does one purposely leave a fob in the car? For instance, while the car runs through a [driverless] professional car wash. At the end of the car wash - but still within the car wash building - a service attendant needs to enter the car in order to drive it out of the wash area. I assume that the car will lock, the service attendant won't be able to enter the car, and it was my fob in the car, so I will not be allowed in the car either.

This does not happen with my 2009 XLR. It won't lock while a fob remains in the car. Similarly, my wife's old Acura RL 2005 would not lock with a fob in the car as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: KeyFob left in car

When I leave my FOB in my 2010 SRX, it doesn't lock.

bmclachlan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX, 2009 XLR

Thanks. After further thought on this, I'm wondering if the car is quite smart regarding the above situation. Remember, we had 2 fobs in the car at the same time. The car most likely and correctly identified my fob as the driver. The car did notify us upon exiting that one fob was was still in the car but maybe it was smart enough to determine it wasn't driver fob, so when I was far enough away, it correctly locked the car. We will be testing it later today to see what the response of the car is if only one fob is available and it is left in the car.

SuzanneB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

As far as I have figured out, it will only lock if you have the 2nd fob on you. If you walk away with NO fob, leaving one in the car, it won't lock. I have experimented with it to learn this.

Maximumkk is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

According to the manual, as long as one fob that was present in the car is removed upon exit the vehicle will lock with the other fobs remaining in the car.

Max

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Max is right.

Living in Chicago, when its cold out, I often leave the car running when I stop temporarily to run an errand.

I don't want the engine to shut down as I want the car to continue to warm up. Thus, I take my key with me, and lock the doors with the car running. No problem to do this.

When the wife leaves her key in the car, it will still lock with my fob.

I really wish that if the fob is not detected in the car that it wouldn't go into drive though. When I stop, get out, take my fob with me and lock the doors, technically somebody could break the window and drive away.

Maximumkk is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Really? You can shift into drive without any fobs in the car if already running? I would have thought that if all fobs are removed while still running, an attempt to shift (applying the brake) would trigger the engine to shutdown. Has anyone tried?

Max

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Ya, you can drive all day with no keys. It runs till someone shuts it off. My 2010 would allow it to restart once without the key in it, if it was still unlocked from the previous ignition cycle. I haven't tried with my '13 yet.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.