Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Pause Button

9K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  cannon1017 
#1 ·
I use the radio pause button when I am running into a store or making a phone call. Recently it has started acting up. It starts to replay music/talk I have already heard. Anyone else having this issue? Oviously, a minor issue, but an issue nonetheless.

#3 ·
I would like some feedback on the operation of the Pause button. Unless I'm loosing it (which is entirely possible), it seems like when I first got the car hitting the pause button not only paused the buffer, but also stopped all playback altogether (no audio while paused). Now when I hit pause it still pauses the buffer, but continues to playback the live radio. I can hit pause again, and it does pick back up where from where I hit pause, but it just seems odd the way it keeps playing live audio while paused. What does your pause button do? Maybe thie is what the OP was experiencing?

I did have to have the radio replaced a month ago to fix the issue with it forgetting settings on exit, so maybe the new software in the new radio does things differently? Any input guys?

#5 ·
Uhg.....I can now confirm something is not right with my time-shifting feature since I got the radio replaced. After playing around with it some more I have discovered; If I press pause the the audio stops for a split second then continues playing live radio. If I press pause a minute or two later, the audio picks back up from where I originally paused it, plays for a bit then makes the static type noise it makes when XM looses signal, and cuts out all together. If I use the pause button shortly after turning to a new station it seems to work normally (stops the audio and pauses the music), it's when I've been on a station for more than 5 minutes or so and it's been buffering for a while that the pause feature seems to stop functioning.

SOOO frustrating since I finally got the original radio issues worked out and now have discovered new ones. Almost afraid to take it back in as it was quite the hassle to get them to understand/fix the original problem.

Can't seem to find any info online with people having issues with the time-shifting feature (except possibly the OP).

#7 ·
New radio has the newest version of the software (U415). Since *almost* everything works now, trying to decided if this feature is important enough to me to let them mess around with stuff at the risk of messing other stuff up.

----------

What I'd really like is if anyone with the 2010 MY would listen to a XM station for 10 mins, hit pause, and report back here with what happens. If these units are just buggy like this and all act this way I just won't bother with it. Surely don't want the dealership hunting for an issue that doesn't have a fix....

#8 ·
I guess I'll be the Guinea Pig on this issue and use my appointment I already have for tomorrow morning (intermittent Red LED on OnStar mirror), and let them poke around with the radio some more. I'll report back here. Wish me luck!

#9 ·
Cannon1017, please let me know if you would like Customer Service to step in at any point and schedule a dealer appointment for you or follow up with them on your behalf! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Dave, thank you for keeping us in the loop! I look forward to your post-dealer updates, but please feel free to get in touch with me if you would also like any assistance working with your dealership towards a resolution.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

G
#10 ·
Its funny that you are reporing this as my Radio just started doing this too. When I hit the pause button it keeps playing but shows a constant 00:10 (10 second) in the buffer. I am interested in knowing what you dealer finds. I use this feature often and this is very annoying....obviously a software bug.

#11 ·
Thanks for the feedback TRARON.

I wonder why there are at least 3 people (including the OP) all of the sudden having this issue when it seems undocumented here on the forums from what I can find. Is there some OTA update that OnStar could have recently done that could have created new bugs in the radio?

TRARON - have you had your radio replaced? If so, when? Thanks!

----------

To Others wanting to test for this issue: They key is you must leave it on one XM channel for *at least 5 mins* BEFORE you press the pause button. Pause works great if you use it in the first couple minutes of listening to a channel.

G
#12 ·
Hi Dave - no I have not had my radio replaced, and yes mine behaves exactly like yours, after 5 minutes the problem occurs and I have noticed this began about a week ago. Also my XM does not update the name of a song, only the artist when this happens. If I change the channel both the song and artist are updated. This is definitely a software bug and I was hopeful that reflashing the radio software would fix it, but I am now doubtful based upon your experience. I hope Katie will take note of this issue and escalate it to see what can be done to fix the problem as I can't spend countless hours having a problem like this looked at the dealer and doubt they would know where to start.

#13 ·
Yeah, I hear you - on these technical issues it's always a challenge with the dealership to get them to really fully understand what is going on. The original radio issue took about three tries for them to get it right. The good this about this issue is it's VERY easy to duplicate. I typed them up instructions on how to duplicate it, and I made sure to leave the car running until the Service Adviser got to me so that he could see the problem in action. I explained the problem first, and then demonstrated it. He said he understood, but the blank look wasn't very reassuring. We'll see. I'll let you know what they find. Unless there has been another software update (newer than U415) - I'm not sure what will have to be done. Hopefully not another radio replacement. Maybe they can re-flash the same update....

In other news they set me up in a 2013 ATS, neat car. I bit on the small side though.

G
#14 ·
You're right, most times these issues become so complex that they don't have the time to fully understand the problem. Its easier to know when there is a mechanical problem than when its a software issue in the entertainment system. I know as I am involved with technology and see stuff like this every day. Problems like this make me cringe because I know they are difficult for someone that does not know every feature of the system to know when there is an actual problem. Very frustrating. Let me know what happens when they look into this

#16 ·
You know, the service adviser asked me that too - but i just don't listen to FM/AM so I never tried it.

----------

Traron - I actually do computer repair for a living, so yeah - I understand completely. That's why when you have an issue like this, and there is not a TSB for it to shove at the dealership - then I know it's gonna be a pain to get resolved.

#17 ·
UPDATE: After not hearing a word from the dealer all day (left it at 8AM this morning), I called. They said that they have strut mounts on national back-order (separate issue...steering noise)- but they threw my name in the pot for a set of those. As far as the Pause Button issue, their top tech has been working with it all day but still hasn't found a solution. They will get back to me tomorrow. Oh joy. Also no solution on an intermittent OnStar red LED issue (another issue I brought it for).

#19 ·
Nope, not a thing. I finally called at around 3pm. Lady I spoke with on the phone said she hadn't heard any news on my car, and that they were really busy, and she'd try to call me back soon with an update....

#20 ·
After a couple hours and no call back, I called, again they said they'd call back. This time they actually did. Sounds like my service manager is out sick, and the lady I spoke with could only give me very general information about the progress. Nothing real detailed. She said that the OnStar system had been working normally the entire time they've had it (figures), but that it had logged an 'event' and they wanted to dig into that further. She also said that the XM was now working normally. I pressed her for more information on this (is the PAUSE button working?), she said they said everything was working normally. Wouldn't (couldn't?) give me any more details than that. Also said the strut mounts would be here in a couple days. When I asked her about the 'national backorder' she then seemed unsure about when the strut mounts would be here. Wants me to let them work on the OnStar some more tomorrow, and hopefully my service manager would be back in, and see where we are at tomorrow.

So maybe some progress? Hard to say. If the Pause Button *is* fixed I will be sure to find out what was done to fix it, and share any info I can here. Guess for now I'll just put a few more miles on the ATS loaner.

#21 ·
Latest News: Service Manager says 'he thinks' the tech already got the Pause button issue 'taken care of'. Something about "the tech had to work through several things with engineering, but he's already moved onto to the other items on your list so I think that means he got it fixed"

I asked him to please get me some detailed notes for when I pick it up so I could share it here. He said he will make sure to have that for me.

Also said the tech was currently driving the car making some OnStar calls to make sure that issue was fixed and that the strut mounts already arrived today, and he hoped to have me taken care of by tomorrow. I'll let you guys know the verdict on the Pause button, and hopefully have some details on what it takes to fix it so you can adviser your local dealership.

Tomorrow will be day four at the dealership, last time they had a car this long was when the wife's CTS sunroof started leaking a couple years ago and they had to replace half the interior (!) - although I did give them quite the 'to do' list so....

#24 ·
Sorry to hijack your thread with my issue cannon....can you confirm whether or not it was the same issue I was having? Glad yours is now working. Since it fixed itself I'm guessing you issue was different?

----------

....and caddybill, what happens when you wait more than 10 seconds....how about waiting about 5 mins the hitting pause?

#25 ·
Well you guys are never gonna believe this (insert sarcasm here): Went to get the car from the dealership today. They fixed everything except for....wait for it....the pause button.

I had a feeling it was going to play out like this. So each day, I'd call and see what the progress was, and each day they'd be vague on the the pause button issue (i.e. "well he's moved onto other things so it MUST be fixed"). Today I called before I went to pick it up and asked what was done to fix the pause button. The service manager said the tech had 'printed me out something' - but that he (The Service Manager), really didn't understand it - so I should just come and take a look. I said that we better not be talking about instructions on how to use the radio - because that is NOT the issue here. I pressed for WHAT WAS DONE, and finally he admitted that they couldn't find any problems and the system was working properly, and that I could test it with them in the car when I got there. Now keep in mind I already did this four days ago with the service manager, he saw it not work, he (said) he understood, AND I left SIMPLE instructions (play an XM Channel for at lease five mins and hit pause). So I get there, and the thing he had printed was THE PAGE FROM THE FREAKIN' MANUAL ON HOW TO USE THE RADIO. So, we sat in the car with XM on for 5 mins, I had him press pause. It didn't work. "Oh I see what you mean." Really?

So they either didn't listen to me and/or didn't read the instructions, or they did and said 'screw it' and gave up. Either way I got the run around for 4 days and still no fix. So they are gonna talk to the engineers (I thought they already said they did that), and then get back to me. They have agreed if they can't find a solution to try another radio (since this feature worked before the radio replacement).

In other news on the way home I tried the pause feature on FM and it works normally So this only happens on XM. Is there any way since others have said this just broke for them recently too that this could be an issue on XM's part? There is another thread that talks about recent issue with song info not updating. Related?

I will keep you guys updated. In the mean time if Katie could jump in and start helping on my behalf with Cadillac that would be awesome. You should already have my VIN as I asked for a build sheet recently.

#27 ·
Just a weird idea here, but maybe you should try some other XM channels to see if you have the same issue. I know it would be crazy, but could XM have an extra bit they can send to enable/disable pausing?

I know it doesn't make sense that you can pause it at first, but maybe they don't send the bit very often???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.