Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Pause Button

9K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  cannon1017 
#1 ·
I use the radio pause button when I am running into a store or making a phone call. Recently it has started acting up. It starts to replay music/talk I have already heard. Anyone else having this issue? Oviously, a minor issue, but an issue nonetheless.

#30 ·
I can only hope. It's just sad that no one at the dealership has any idea how the modern toys in the cars they are selling works. While I was there yesterday I got comments from various service advisers like:

Are you sure your car has that feature?
I've never seen anyone actually use that feature.
I didn't even know that feature existed.
The documentation doesn't say if the pause will even work past five mins of use.

Each time I've had the car in for service their is a flyer in the car that says something like 'you may get a survey from GM, if you cannot mark Completely Satisfied on everything GM says we fail...' so I've emailed the guy that it says to email if you have a problem, and copied Katie in on it, so we'll see what happens. My gut says the replacement radio is just faulty.

#31 ·
I wonder if it is a problem originating at XM? In the last week I have noticed the song info not updating or updating about 10-20 seconds after the song began. Pause feature also has become a problem. Given that others are just recently noticing the same problems, it's possible XM sent some kind of update that has affected the radios. I certainly hope that is not the case because I refuse to deal with XM techs. They will deny a problem, never understand what the problem is, pass the buck to GM and then try to sell me a cheap plug n play radio.

G
#33 ·
I don't believe it is an XM issue because after pause and during playback at some point the recording will go into a continuous loop and continue playing from the same set point. This is going to be a very difficult situation to explain to any service advisor or tech that does not know the workings of how these advanced features operate.

To Cadillac Customer Service - how do we deal with situations like this where we are wasting our time leaving our vehicles in for service and we know what the ultimate result will be? No Fault found....

Most of us have been in situations like this before and it is very frustrating to get these problems fixed.

#34 ·
davedogcaddy said:
Sorry to hijack your thread with my issue cannon....can you confirm whether or not it was the same issue I was having? Glad yours is now working. Since it fixed itself I'm guessing you issue was different?

----------

....and caddybill, what happens when you wait more than 10 seconds....how about waiting about 5 mins the hitting pause?
I get the same response every time no matter when I try it.

#37 ·
Hey Guys! I'm re-posting this in this thread so you don't miss it. It seems the Pause Button issue is linked to the song title not updating issue:

IT'S FIXED! IT'S ALL FIXED!!!

Ok guys, so here's the deal, in an earlier post I mentioned that the 'soft reset' procedure did not fix the song info issue. Well, I'm not sure if the procedure required one more ignition cycle to work, or if XM pushed some magic button to fix some issue on their end, but by the time I got in my car to drive home from work (a few hours after the reset) the song titles/artists were updating normally! Not only were they updating normally, but they were updating VERY quickly....like instantly. I came home, ate, did some things around the house, and just took the car back out for about 20 minutes, enough to hear about 6 songs, all info updating perfectly now! Let me recap the soft reset procedure in detail in case that is what fixed it:1. Disable any bluetooth devices you had synced to the radio
2. Make sure there are no CDs/DVDs in the radio (press eject)
3. Start Car
4. Tune to any XM channel and make sure that station is playing OK (i.e. make sure your car has a clear view of the sky).
5. Turn off the radio by pressing it's power button.
6. Shut off car
7. Open driver's door and leave it open for at lease 1 minute.
8. Start Car
9. Tune to any XM channel and make sure that station is playing OK
10. Have XM send the refresh signal (I did this over the phone, but you should be able to use the online refresh: https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action )
11. If you had the refresh done on the phone the rep should confirm it was successful, if doing it online, just follow the instructions there.
12. Not sure if this is needed, (mine still wasn't updating after the above steps, but did later when I came back) but shut the car back off for a few minutes and come back later.

It will be interesting to find out if it was the 'soft reset' that did it - or if XM already jumped on fixing something on their end. Major props to them if they did.

NOW, for some REALLY exciting/interesting news:
It seems that the above issue and the Pause button issue (see other thread) must be related! Ever since that drive home when I realized the songs were updating again, my pause button/time shifting is once again operational, even after listening for 5 minutes. Also confirmed this on the 2nd drive tonight. It all works now! So somehow the song info not updating was breaking the time shifting feature!

PLEASE, share your experiences here! Did the above fix work for you (soft reset needed)? Or did it start working on it's own (issue solely on XM's end)? The more info we collect the easier it will be to fix should this issue crop again one day.

#39 ·
yup, all along it was tied to a problem on XM's end. Guess I should call my dealership and update them so they stop researching the issue. I'm just glad we have an answer.

#40 ·
OK, so here is the latest in this saga for me. I started this thread when the pause button wasn't functioning correctly. Mysteriously it started working again. Unfortunately, that was short lived and it crapped out again. I did the XM reset and it has been working well for almost a week now.

#41 ·
I have a theory about the pause button issue. Since we have already established Pause button issues stem from XM issues....

On my wife's 2008 CTS (which, ironically, was not affected by the Pause button or slow XM info problems) when you use the Pause Button/Time Shifting features, you can use the skip buttons to rewind (automatically) to the beginning of the song. I think it uses the song tags (titles) to be able to do this. Now on our SRXs there doesn't seem to be a way to do this (at least not from what I've found), it just rewinds in 10 second increments. However, maybe some of the coding is still there that looks for the song tags, and since that information wasn't updating it broke the Time Shifting.

Just my 2 cents.

----------

In other news I stopped by my dealership and give them all the info on the 'fix' and passed on the XM rep's direct phone number that I worked with. They seemed very grateful for this info. While I was the only one who had (or noticed) the pause button issue, they had many customers complaining about the slow XM update issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.