I hit a deer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, I hit a deer in Cadillac SRX Forums; I was driving home tonight and hit a deer. There was no time to even react, it came out of ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I hit a deer

I was driving home tonight and hit a deer. There was no time to even react, it came out of nowhere and I was already hitting it before I even realized what was happening. Damage is mostly on passenger front end. I was going about 45 mph. Car started to smoke like crazy, passenger side door is hard to open, no passenger headlight, hubby says front is totally destroyed. I'm too scared to look but it's leaking fluid. We were literally feet from turning into our community so I drove it home but it didn't want to fully shut off at first and the engine guage was going to the section just under the red. I guess I'll have to have it towed tomorrow. Ugh. This is our only vehicle....not cool.

$500 deductable as well.

Not a good way to end the week. Anyone have any tips on what happens next? I have never hit any type of animal let alone a large deer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    First thing is make sure you are OK. You may feel OK now but might be a different story in the morning. Call insurance company and tell them what happened. They will send out an adjustor to determine if the damage is too great to fix or if it can be repaired for less than the replacement value. Who is your insurance company? Make sure to tell them your temp gauge was pegged to the red. Don't let them use aftermarket parts. They will do this to try to keep costs down.

Again, I hope you are OK. Good luck.

Re: I hit a deer

I feel fine, I don't think my body jerked but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I'm freakisly calm thru this all, I wasn't shaking or crying, I'm sorta a tough girl that way. I am with state farm. I was going to have the dealership body shop do the repairs, do you think that's a wise choice? Because the coolant was leaking, the car started to make a loud rrr rrrr noise and then when we drive into the community I made sure to check teh tire pressure which was reading fine but that engine temp guage was definately above the 1/2 mark but not into the red yet. That fan was definately running. when I tried to use the right directional, it would click normally for 2x and the really fast so I think some electrical is messed up as well. My husband says we have no front end and the door was hard to open but again it's dark adn I did NOT want to see any blood or parts so I'm waiting for him to look it over again in the morning before I look. There is some wire sticking out as well. I'm still shocked that this happened....it's almost a blessing that I didn't see the deer, just wham, it was there, even if I wanted, I couldn't have done anything to avoid it. I feel bad when animals get hit, I hope it died right away.
    thanks for the heads up on aftermarket parts. Any other tips,everyone please chime in. Thanks!!!

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

State Farm will likely have some approved body shops in your area. You don't have to have it repaired at a Cadillac dealership. Adam is right, don't let them use aftermarket partrs. If the front end is heavily damaged, door jammed, and engine and wiring problems also, then it is very possible the car is totaled. You probably have some type of rental coverage for a rental car with your insurance. If the car is totaled, then research the value and don't let the insurance company lowball you.
    Even though they are your company they will try to get out as cheap as possible. They rreally aren't there to look after you.

Any idea where I can find out the best value of the car? Is that just the standard Kelly blue book?

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    Any idea where I can find out the best value of the car? Is that just the standard Kelly blue book?
    Edmunds.com
    Kbb.com

Search auto trader and even Caddy dealers for how much your SRX is selling for. You are supposed to be able to replace your vehicle with the money insurance gives you if it is totaled.

If you get a chance post some pics. And remember, it's just a car, these things happen every day so don't worry about it too much

Thanks! Well, I can't worry about it right now. Hubby thinks if the coolant was leaking, it was just a hose but again, just pure speculation. yes, I will take pictures and post. Husband says there is fur on the grill, or what we have of a grill....yuck.

I was going to say there is usually evidence of the animal remaining on the damaged areas. At least insurance won't question what happened.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Oh deer.

At least you're safe, be thankful for that.

Good luck dealing with insurance.

GeeVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Crystal Red AWD 3L Luxury & Performance SRX

This may sound goofy but where I live in BC, you have to make sure you tell the insurance company the deer hit you and not vice versa. It`s a crazy technicality but it`s true. Good luck!

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

For your SRX to be totaled, the damages would need to exceed 80% of he vehicle's value. Based on what you describe, I doubt it's totaled (only he adjuster can make that determination). As long as you're not injured, let the insurance company do the work for you and get your SRX repaired. $500 is a pain to pay, but it beats physical injury associated with a deer strike. We have deer in our community as well, and they sometimes appear from nowhere.

Good luck with the repairs.

The damage is pretty bad but I guess not as horrible as i thought. The right headlight is just hanging there by wires. The passenger front 1/4 panel by the wheel well is bent. The is alot of fur in the grill (gag). Yes it definitely ran and hit me, not like it was standing in the road and I hit it. Our area has alot of deer, I am paranoid all the time and watching for them. Ugh. There is basically a gaping hole from where there was a passenger head light.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Glad that you're not hurt. I've always felt you get a better body work from the dealer than State Farm. Press the insurance company about the replacement value and the total value, you can get them to come off of the 70% figure for replacement. I had a rider added to my policy which replaces our 2012 SRX for the first 2 years with 25% damage, that way you're not stuck with a new car which has been patched together. Good luck with your car.
    Bill

I'm really wanting to use the dealer body shop as well. That's interesting about the rider - I'll mention that to husband. I'm very thankful, so glad I didn't see it coming across the road, that would have been so much worse, this way it was unexpected and I didn't have time to freak out.
    quick update, apparently the dealership body shop is not an authorized repair center, I can use them but any work would not be guaranteed. We decided to go with gerber collision instead. They are going to tow the car on monday. Is that when I tell them about not wanting the after market parts? Do they have the right to tell me too bad, that's all I can get?

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    I'm really wanting to use the dealer body shop as well. That's interesting about the rider - I'll mention that to husband. I'm very thankful, so glad I didn't see it coming across the road, that would have been so much worse, this way it was unexpected and I didn't have time to freak out.
    quick update, apparently the dealership body shop is not an authorized repair center, I can use them but any work would not be guaranteed. We decided to go with gerber collision instead. They are going to tow the car on monday. Is that when I tell them about not wanting the after market parts? Do they have the right to tell me too bad, that's all I can get?
    As others have stated the first and most important aspect here is that you are OK and the car will be fixed. You are very lucky that the deer did not come through the front windshield at you ... for certainly you would freaked out if that had happened. Second thing you must know is that you have the "right" to pick out the body repair shop that YOU want to use bottom line! Thus if you want your Cadillac dealer to do all the work you will need to do is ask them if they will use all OEM GM parts (which they should) and then ask them if they will guarantee all their work? (again they should). Now if you do decide to pick another body shop you must insist that they use ALL OEM GM parts PERIOD! If your insurance company bulks at you request ... and many do, then you must stand up for your rights and "insist" that they use 100% genuine parts no matter where you end up having it fixed.

NOTE: It doesn't matter if you hit a deer or the deer hit you for it wasn't your fault in either case. I hit a deer last year and first thing the insurance company asked me was to show proof i.e. photo of the deer or a police report saying I hit a deer. Make sure you take close up photos of the deer hair to prove that you hit a deer or the deer hit you. The insurance company "may" try to claim that you didn't hit a deer so please call the police to make a out accident report too! Since this is a comprehensive claim the deer accident will not go against you as being your fault.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.