I hit a deer - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, I hit a deer in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi Mark I pressed my onstar red button the second it happened and the state police came and gave us ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Re: I hit a deer

Hi Mark

I pressed my onstar red button the second it happened and the state police came and gave us a report. State far said since the dealership isn't an authorized shop, under this claim if they don't correctly fix something then it wouldn't be guaranteed. My only concern is we DO NOT have rental coverage so the body shop said they will only give me a car for 5 days which stinks. I don't see this being done in 5 days. We only have one car so it will be a problem. I'll cross that bridge next week. We walked back today to the accident scene. There were lots of car parts which is what I heard like branches under the car. My headlight was there, plastic grill pieces, etc. we looked and saw we're it fell, there was deer hair all over, I really think I clipped its hip area or tail which is what I have in my grill I think is tail. There was some pink in the snowbut no body so it got away. Hopefully it wasn't too badly hurt and I just hope it didnt suffer softie in me. I will definitely heed everyone's words and insist on the OEM GM parts. I really appreciate you all, you have given me great advice in all postings and I really appreciate it very much! Insurance seemed very nice overall, very glad I do not have to pay my deductible, that is a huge bonus!

etexlady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Luxury SRX Crystal Red Tintcoat

Just wondering why the air bag didn't go off (or did it)? Glad you are okay.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Be thankful you didn't hit a moose. Usually the top of the car is peeled back like a sardine can and the moose lands in the front seat.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Be thankful you didn't hit a moose. Usually the top of the car is peeled back like a sardine can and the moose lands in the front seat.
    Do you speak from experience? Around here you got to watch for the occasional loose cow!

I don't know what the requirements are for the airbags to deploy ie rate is speed, force of impact. I am guessing since we didn't hit it square in the center I'd the car maybe that is why...the impact was all on passenger side/door. I'm sure glad they didn't go off, that would have been bad. No moose or rogue cows, just plenty of deer, fox, coyote, and tons of dead raccoons in summer.

XHitmanX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 eldorado etc

Get out the grill and invite us over..... Seriously, let you insurance agent handle it, that's why you pay him the big bucks. ( pun not intentional ).

Craig

warnercc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

Interesting that I just went through the whole insurance thing this weekend. I had not checked prices in a couple of years and my insurance renews next week so I checked and I found a better deal with a more well known company than I had previously and amazingly, ended up with more insurance than I had previously. First, as far a OEM parts are concerned, unless you have a rider on your policy that specifically calls for OEM parts to be used, you more than likely will be required to bare the cost of the difference between OEM parts and aftermarket parts. This will be on top of your deductible. Second, you ALWAYS have the choice of where to have your car repaired. Interestingly, we have one body shop in our area that charges more than the normal rate schedules for repairs and our previous insurance company plainly stated that we could use this body shop but because they didn't adhere to the standard rates, we would have to pay any difference.....again over and above our deductible. Not a problem for me as I had never used that body shop but be aware. They should advise you before making that decision. Third, do your research. Not all body shops are created equal. If they don't give a lifetime guarantee on their work, find someone else. Fourth, when all is said and done, revisit your insurance coverage's. You will surprised how little it costs to add these different riders so when the time comes, there will be no questions nor arguments with the Insurance company. As far as your deductible goes, you will be surprised that to lower your deductible will cost very little in the grand scheme of things. For instance, I always carry $100 deductible on both collision and comprehensive. Just last month when I was changing the insurance to the new car I thought I would compare prices between $100, $250 and $500 deductible. What I found was amazing. For our three cars, the difference between $100 and $250 was about $15 total per month. To go to $500 deductible was only about $25 total per month. I don't know about you, but I probably throw away more than $15 or $25 a month so why would I change my insurance coverage for so little savings? Be smart, unless you have a really bad driving record, more insurance doesn't necessarily mean astronomical costs especially when your peace of mind is involved. And NO, I am not an insurance agent.

Quote Originally Posted by warnercc View Post
    Interesting that I just went through the whole insurance thing this weekend. I had not checked prices in a couple of years and my insurance renews next week so I checked and I found a better deal with a more well known company than I had previously and amazingly, ended up with more insurance than I had previously. First, as far a OEM parts are concerned, unless you have a rider on your policy that specifically calls for OEM parts to be used, you more than likely will be required to bare the cost of the difference between OEM parts and aftermarket parts. This will be on top of your deductible. Second, you ALWAYS have the choice of where to have your car repaired. Interestingly, we have one body shop in our area that charges more than the normal rate schedules for repairs and our previous insurance company plainly stated that we could use this body shop but because they didn't adhere to the standard rates, we would have to pay any difference.....again over and above our deductible. Not a problem for me as I had never used that body shop but be aware. They should advise you before making that decision. Third, do your research. Not all body shops are created equal. If they don't give a lifetime guarantee on their work, find someone else. Fourth, when all is said and done, revisit your insurance coverage's. You will surprised how little it costs to add these different riders so when the time comes, there will be no questions nor arguments with the Insurance company. As far as your deductible goes, you will be surprised that to lower your deductible will cost very little in the grand scheme of things. For instance, I always carry $100 deductible on both collision and comprehensive. Just last month when I was changing the insurance to the new car I thought I would compare prices between $100, $250 and $500 deductible. What I found was amazing. For our three cars, the difference between $100 and $250 was about $15 total per month. To go to $500 deductible was only about $25 total per month. I don't know about you, but I probably throw away more than $15 or $25 a month so why would I change my insurance coverage for so little savings? Be smart, unless you have a really bad driving record, more insurance doesn't necessarily mean astronomical costs especially when your peace of mind is involved. And NO, I am not an insurance agent.
    Unless you plan on filing a claim at least once a year, seems like you are throwing money away by having the deductible at $100. That extra $15 or $25 per month extra adds up quickly over time.

I really appreciate the info, thanks! Yes, we will definitely look into things once the dust has settled. I was not aware of these riders and stuff like that but again, that’s hubby’s department but I will for sure push for the rental coverage going forward. If we had 2 cars, it might not be necessary but this is our 1 and only vehicle so that is a must. I guess we can also look around with other carriers. Right now we have state farm. I don’t think we have ever compared to all state or geico. Just not sure what the differences are but it’s certainly something to look into.
    Today was my 1st day driving, I have a clean driving record, never an accident or even ticket. I am very confident driving since I learned to drive in Canada and the driving conditions there are less than ideal. It gets so cold, the streets never get plowed to bare cement so ruts galore. It was very foggy today and I avoided the road the accident happened at. I know I’ll have to use it but just sorta gun shy today being the 1st day behind the wheel.
    Tow truck just picked up the car on a flat bed. I’m curious if the body shop will even look at it today but yes, the reason why this place was suggested is because they guarantee the work lifetime. I also seem to recall hearing that if the vehicle is within afew years old, they normally use the factory parts anyways. I wonder with our SRX’s having some unique parts, if there are even any generic ones out there? Like the headlight, that will be original, the grill will be original, what sorts of parts would I have to watch out for that would not be OEM?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Cadigirlchicago2, I'm just catching up with this thread after being off duty this weekend, and I'm so sorry you experienced this! It's a relief that you are alright and safe after that, and I'm glad you were able to get back on the road today. While I understand you're seeking input from the community, I wanted to let you know I'm keeping my eye on this thread and am available via private message if you have any vehicle questions along the way.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

warnercc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    Unless you plan on filing a claim at least once a year, seems like you are throwing money away by having the deductible at $100. That extra $15 or $25 per month extra adds up quickly over time.
    To each their own. I'll pay the extra $5-$8 per month per car. It's not going to break me and I would really be upset to have to write a check for $500 on top of being ticked off to begin with for having an accident. If I can't afford the $5-$8, I shouldn't be driving a Cadillac.
    TheCaptain and TheCaptain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by warnercc View Post

To each their own. I'll pay the extra $5-$8 per month per car. It's not going to break me and I would really be upset to have to write a check for $500 on top of being ticked off to begin with for having an accident. If I can't afford the $5-$8, I shouldn't be driving a Cadillac.
    I didn't realize that was for all three cars. I thought you meant each. Thanks for clarification. (Going to call insurance now and check on this).

VHA
    VHA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac Performance SRX - AWD

Deer/car collisions are covered under the comprehensive insurance clause, and that deductible is typically $50. $500 sounds like your collision deductible. If you ever hit a deer, call the police to report it -- so you can tell you insurance company about that call as evidence of the cause.

I had a deer collision a few years ago, and called 911 to report it. By the time I returned on that road (3 hours later), locals had field-dressed the animal and most of him was in someone's freezer...

I am still waiting on final word about the damage. I called yesterday to find out and I asked about the OEM parts. They said it’s all up to your insurance. I called my carriers office and they told me that I really don’t have a say, they said if there are re furbished parts, those are used 1st, if not, then OEM parts are used. There is nothing I can demand or insist on. I guess the good thing is they said for Cadillac, there really aren’t many refurb parts out there anyways but regardless, if there were, I have zero say from what they said. They were very firm on that.
    The collision center says so far, the damage is at $6000 but the vehicle was “dispatched for teardown” which means they are taking the car apart piece by piece looking for any damage that is not visible. That makes me nervous, I am just visioning the car literally in a million pieces. I also really worry about trouble down the line, noises, squeaks etc from doing that. I was always told you don’t want to take the car apart looking for stuff because it can cause other noises and stuff so just leave things alone. Very worried. What do you all think….is this teardown a bad thing?
    Right now, IF they don’t find any additional damages, it won’t be ready until the end of March.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

"I called my carriers office and they told me that I really don’t have a say" Unfortunately that might be the case for this accident. However you do have something to say and that's when you pick a new carrier. I have found that by having car, home, life, rental property and boat insurance with one carrier they are more apt to listen and cooperate. My current insurance company knows I'll move my account if they don't listen because I moved my business from a company which didn't listen. My fear when a car gets damaged that severely and then stripped down is the fact it will never be as tight as it was before the accident. Squeaks, air whistles and rattles are common after a major accident. I hope your repair shop is good and you don't have any problems with your repaired SRX.
    Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.