Head lamp condensation and water penetration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Head lamp condensation and water penetration in Cadillac SRX Forums; My 2010 SRX-4 needs to have the front passenger head light replaced as it constantly has condensate and water inside. ...
    djmcculley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 4

Unhappy Head lamp condensation and water penetration

My 2010 SRX-4 needs to have the front passenger head light replaced as it constantly has condensate and water inside. The dealer is great (as usual) and will split the expensive replacement cost as this had been going on for a while now and I am now over my initial warranty period. Has anyone experienced similar issues as there are no visible damage or degrading of rubber gaskets on inspection (not removed though)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Head lamp condensation and water penetration

Djmcculley, thanks for sharing your experience! I realize you're looking for other owners' opinions, so I just wanted to let you know I'm available if you would ever like assistance working with your dealership regarding your concern. (I'm happy to document dealership feedback as well!) Please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by djmcculley View Post
    My 2010 SRX-4 needs to have the front passenger head light replaced as it constantly has condensate and water inside. The dealer is great (as usual) and will split the expensive replacement cost as this had been going on for a while now and I am now over my initial warranty period. Has anyone experienced similar issues as there are no visible damage or degrading of rubber gaskets on inspection (not removed though)?
    Yes, I have had the same problem one time with my driver's side headlight. I'm still under warranty though. I wish the passenger side would hurry up and do it before I'm out of warranty. My dealer isn't as nice as your and told me it would have cost $1,000 to replace out of warranty. I just love how these car manufacturers are able to build these cars so that they start tearing up about the time the warranty runs out. Talk about keeping the money flowing...

This morning my DIC reports "Check right low beam headlight". I get out to look and it's completely out. Not even a high beam. I go straight to the dealer and he reports that my complete right headlight assembly (the big clear thing) is getting replaced because it has water in it. I had the left one replaced a few months ago. Boy, am I glad this one went out before my warranty runs out in January.

I'm wondering how these things are getting water logged. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

Mine gets waterlogged too. Been to the dealer a few time. They report a drain is clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    This morning my DIC reports "Check right low beam headlight". I get out to look and it's completely out. Not even a high beam. I go straight to the dealer and he reports that my complete right headlight assembly (the big clear thing) is getting replaced because it has water in it. I had the left one replaced a few months ago. Boy, am I glad this one went out before my warranty runs out in January.

I'm wondering how these things are getting water logged. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Hello stevec5375,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced this issue on your SRX’s right headlight assembly after having it happen on the left assembly a few months ago. I am glad to hear that this repair was covered under your warranty. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message if you have any further questions or concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by zinner View Post
    Mine gets waterlogged too. Been to the dealer a few time. They report a drain is clogged.
    Hello zinner,

I apologize that you have had these issues with your headlight displays getting waterlogged as well. If you experience the issue again, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via private message so Laura or I can look into your situation for you. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Even if a drain is clogged in the headlight, there shouldn't be enough moisture getting into it to worry about draining, unless the seal is damaged or the housing is cracked somewhere.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Even if a drain is clogged in the headlight, there shouldn't be enough moisture getting into it to worry about draining, unless the seal is damaged or the housing is cracked somewhere.
    Well, I have never had an accident in my SRX or bumped anything so one has to wonder how the seal was damaged or the housing cracked. Could it be that GM's parts suppliers are just poor quality materials? None of my last 3 vehicles has had as many things go wrong as this SRX.

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    You would think, but it's not the case, enough water collects to short out electrical components.

I heard back from my dealership on my right front headlight. They have had my SRX since Saturday morning and are still waiting on the headlight to come in. According to my service adviser, there are a lot of 2010 models with this problem and headlights for that MY are getting in short supply. So if you have the 2010 model you better hope yours fails before the warranty runs out. These puppies are expensive if paying out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I heard back from my dealership on my right front headlight. They have had my SRX since Saturday morning and are still waiting on the headlight to come in. According to my service adviser, there are a lot of 2010 models with this problem and headlights for that MY are getting in short supply. So if you have the 2010 model you better hope yours fails before the warranty runs out. These puppies are expensive if paying out of pocket.
    Hello stevec5375,

Thank you for updating the thread on your current status. I apologize for any inconvenience this is while waiting for your headlight part to come in. Gregory and I are here to assist, so don't hesitate to contact us via private message if needed.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Finally got my SRX back today. It was at the dealership from SATURDAY till till THURSDAY. Fortunately I had a loaner. The adviser told me the parts people kept ordering the left headlight instead of the right. So now, I have had both the right and left headlight assemblies replaced and the car has two months to go before it's out of warranty. I tend to keep cars for a long time so I'm wondering if I'm going to have this happen again 3.5 years down the road. I had my last Infiniti for 10 years and never had to replace anything like this.

On a positive note, the dealership did an extra special detailing of my car and it was all shiny and new. Just the way I like to keep it myself. I was grateful.
    TheCaptain likes this.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375
    Finally got my SRX back today. It was at the dealership from SATURDAY till till THURSDAY. Fortunately I had a loaner. The adviser told me the parts people kept ordering the left headlight instead of the right. So now, I have had both the right and left headlight assemblies replaced and the car has two months to go before it's out of warranty. I tend to keep cars for a long time so I'm wondering if I'm going to have this happen again 3.5 years down the road. I had my last Infiniti for 10 years and never had to replace anything like this. On a positive note, the dealership did an extra special detailing of my car and it was all shiny and new. Just the way I like to keep it myself. I was grateful.
    Glad you had a good experience Steve.

Jerry3149121213 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac SRX

The passenger side headlight quit working on my 2010 SRX last week. There's a lot of condensation in the headlight assembly. The service manager at the local Cadillac dealer told me the headlight assembly must have been bumped and the seal compromised. The cost to fix it is $1,250 plus 2 hours labor and tax. The car is within the time warranty but outside the mileage warranty. He was very clear that GM would not help me with this problem. I guess GM trains their dealers to blame all products that prove defective after the warranty expires on their customers. This is my third Cadillac and I've had more problems with this car than the other two combined. Does anyone know of a better option than to pay the dealer $1,500 to fix a defective part?

kpann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry3149121213 View Post
    The passenger side headlight quit working on my 2010 SRX last week. There's a lot of condensation in the headlight assembly. The service manager at the local Cadillac dealer told me the headlight assembly must have been bumped and the seal compromised. The cost to fix it is $1,250 plus 2 hours labor and tax. The car is within the time warranty but outside the mileage warranty. He was very clear that GM would not help me with this problem. I guess GM trains their dealers to blame all products that prove defective after the warranty expires on their customers. This is my third Cadillac and I've had more problems with this car than the other two combined. Does anyone know of a better option than to pay the dealer $1,500 to fix a defective part?
    You can always go with eBay as long as you stick with the good sellers. You can find OEM used headlights for $100 for halogen
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/380596481562?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Or around $275 for HID ones
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/121163156075?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

They would be plug and play for whichever trim level you have as they are OEM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.