Head lamp condensation and water penetration - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Head lamp condensation and water penetration in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by pedaniels For a person who grew up in Detroit, with a WWII Dad who would only drive ...
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Head lamp condensation and water penetration

Quote Originally Posted by pedaniels View Post
    For a person who grew up in Detroit, with a WWII Dad who would only drive a Cadillac for the last 70 years. I am very disappointed that that my headlight has been out for weeks and I am past my 50K warranty period and I have to pay so much for my right headlight due to a defective part causing condensation requiring a replacement assembly. I don't understand why the recall that was originally given for this headlight problem in the 2010 SRX is still not honored. Dealers are rude and are in no way accommodating, other than telling you how much more you have to pay. I am very disappointed in Cadillac in dealing with this issue.
    What recall? I've had both of mine replaced under the warranty but I got nothing in the mail about a recall for this issue.

By the way, if you plan on keeping the SRX for a while, get ready for the left one to go out too! From what I can tell, they are using the same FLAWED headlight assembly as a replacement so that a few more years down the road you can be ripped off yet again.

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

(Photo wasn't even taken when it was at its worst)

Well, finally an update after I was able to go to the dealer myself and discuss with service writer (my wife's DD and she was the one who had been in touch with service guy). Sure enough, despite VIDEO evidence of water/condensation in one of the lights [I took a video showing me wiping the outside of the light so there could be no dispute that the water is inside] - claim denied. Normal under certain weather conditions is the official wording on the service receipt. In conversation with the service writer, he acknowledges that it's not right and knows it's not normal, but his hands are tied. I pointed out that I just bought the MajorGuard and it does not cover housings - so what happens when my light shorts out in 6 months?? Best he could recommend is to call GM and complain and make sure it's on record that I had this issue before the warranty was up.

Apparently this particular dealer replaced SO MANY housings that when GM came in and "audited" them - they basically didn't pay them for hundreds of thousands of these claims (supposedly). As a result, they're not replacing them anymore unless it's really a LOT of water in there - and every claim needs the service mgr's approval. So, I supposed this is a YMMV situation depending on your dealer. It looks like in this case, we're penalized for going to one of the higher volume Cadillac service departments in the country after everyone else got their housings replaced.

I was a bit disappointed that our friendly Cadillac Customer Service reps had no pull though. Essentially, they say that since the dealer says it's normal for certain weather conditions, there's nothing more we can do. Dealership > corporate, unfortunate.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post

(Photo wasn't even taken when it was at its worst)

Well, finally an update after I was able to go to the dealer myself and discuss with service writer (my wife's DD and she was the one who had been in touch with service guy). Sure enough, despite VIDEO evidence of water/condensation in one of the lights [I took a video showing me wiping the outside of the light so there could be no dispute that the water is inside] - claim denied. Normal under certain weather conditions is the official wording on the service receipt. In conversation with the service writer, he acknowledges that it's not right and knows it's not normal, but his hands are tied. I pointed out that I just bought the MajorGuard and it does not cover housings - so what happens when my light shorts out in 6 months?? Best he could recommend is to call GM and complain and make sure it's on record that I had this issue before the warranty was up.

Apparently this particular dealer replaced SO MANY housings that when GM came in and "audited" them - they basically didn't pay them for hundreds of thousands of these claims (supposedly). As a result, they're not replacing them anymore unless it's really a LOT of water in there - and every claim needs the service mgr's approval. So, I supposed this is a YMMV situation depending on your dealer. It looks like in this case, we're penalized for going to one of the higher volume Cadillac service departments in the country after everyone else got their housings replaced.

I was a bit disappointed that our friendly Cadillac Customer Service reps had no pull though. Essentially, they say that since the dealer says it's normal for certain weather conditions, there's nothing more we can do. Dealership > corporate, unfortunate.
    Yes, there is more you can do. NEVER BUY ANOTHER CADILLAC. This is precisely what I intend to do with all the problem that I've had with mine. I'm sorry you didn't get relief on this. Did they tell you how much it would cost to fix it out of pocket?

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You're exactly right Steve - we will "vote with our feet" and certainly won't be owning another Cadillac after this one. In fact, there's even part of me that wants to ditch this car now and get a refund on the MajorGuard (60d to change your mind if you haven't used it), maybe that might raise an eyebrow. For us it comes to down to, at times, incompetent service by our dealer which is just too convenient (2mi away). First it was the who Nav/radio issue, then the TCM which I could never get them to "upgrade," and now the headlight. The other dealer option in town is 35min drive north - not worth it.

As far as out of pocket cost, HAH!, I don't even care because there is no way I'm paying OOP for this repair. We will escalate to all levels if/when this leads to headlight failure. For now, I suppose it remains more of a nuisance.
    stevec5375 likes this.

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

This is what i plan to do as well. Never ever another Cadillac after these 2 that i own. My cts-v had both headlights replaced nad many more issues. Now my wifes 2013 SRX4 is already having all wheel drive issues at 10K. So far the build quality of the Cadillac's i own is on par with my 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse that i owned 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Yes, there is more you can do. NEVER BUY ANOTHER CADILLAC. This is precisely what I intend to do with all the problem that I've had with mine. I'm sorry you didn't get relief on this. Did they tell you how much it would cost to fix it out of pocket?
    stevec5375 likes this.

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by miamictsv View Post
    This is what i plan to do as well. Never ever another Cadillac after these 2 that i own. My cts-v had both headlights replaced nad many more issues. Now my wifes 2013 SRX4 is already having all wheel drive issues at 10K. So far the build quality of the Cadillac's i own is on par with my 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse that i owned 20 years ago.
    Hey my first vehicle was a 1990 Eagle Talon....basically an Eclipse. I loved that vehicle... kept it for 8 years. Replaced it with a first model year 1998 Subaru Forester. The Forester was pretty good but had a few issues. That was replaced with a Subaru Tribeca which was the most reliable vehicle we have ever had. Now an SRX.

What issues did you have with the eclipse?

mikelaneysrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

When was the original recall for the moisture problem in 2010 Cadillac SRX headlamp assembly issued. Both of mine have condensation in them.
    Are dealers still fixing this problem under warranty? I am past the 50,000 mile warranty.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by mikelaneysrx View Post
    When was the original recall for the moisture problem in 2010 Cadillac SRX headlamp assembly issued. Both of mine have condensation in them.
    Are dealers still fixing this problem under warranty? I am past the 50,000 mile warranty.
    There has not been a recall. Depends on the mood of the service department as to warranty fix. I'd say your out of luck past 50,000 miles but worst they can do is say no.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelaneysrx View Post
    Hi mikelaneysrx,

I can understand how it would be frustrating to deal with condensation in the headlights of your SRX. If you would like to explore your options with the dealership, I can reach out to them on your behalf. Please PM me if you would be interested.

Enjoy your night,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

seedmanfl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

Is there any way to dry it out?

srxycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 PERFORMANCE (Mocha Steel Met. / Shale Brownstone)

I recall reading on another forum people sending out their headlights to get "blacked out". They would mail out their headlight assemblies and the guy would heat them up (to soften the glue that holds the lens on to the backing), paint them, and then re-glue them together(supposedly airtight). You may want to google "how to open and paint headlights". Lots of youtube videos. Here is one of many: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT9ci8i5Pk

You may want to try it yourself if your contemplating replacing the headlight anyway. Or if you have a second vehicle you may find someone to do it for you. Good luck.

Rmack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Help, I recently purchased a 2010 Cadillac SRX (58,000 miles) that appeared in great shape. 2 weeks after having vehicle the left front headlight assembly has condensation in it.So I ran the model looking for recalls and info only to find this headlight assembly has been an on going problem but GM/Cadillac didnt recall it they just sent notices and allowed some fixes depending on dealerships.I purchased from a reputable dealership but it was a nissan dealership, and of course they are no help. I bought because I had several SRX as loaners when having my Saab serviced and that dealership was a Saab/Cadillac Dealer and I loved the vehicle. They had some but theyThis car was the best buy financially I could find and I thought GM/Cadillac has always been a reputable and responsible company. My dad and grandfather always bought Caddy's and always encouraged me to buy them. I'm just getting financially able to purchase a car of this caliber. Now I'm freaked out reading the long list of issues concerning this light assembly and the cost of repair. Can I get any help from Cadillac? Other than buy new and from GM dealers-Any advice?

----------

I'm loooking for cost saving suggestions..Help, I recently purchased a 2010 Cadillac SRX (58,000 miles) that appeared in great shape. 2 weeks after having vehicle the left front headlight assembly has condensation in it.So I ran the model looking for recalls and info only to find this headlight assembly has been an on going problem but GM/Cadillac didnt recall it they just sent notices and allowed some fixes depending on dealerships.I purchased from a reputable dealership but it was a nissan dealership, and of course they are no help. I bought because I had several SRX as loaners when having my Saab serviced and that dealership was a Saab/Cadillac Dealer and I loved the vehicle. They had some but theyThis car was the best buy financially I could find and I thought GM/Cadillac has always been a reputable and responsible company. My dad and grandfather always bought Caddy's and always encouraged me to buy them. I'm just getting financially able to purchase a car of this caliber. Now I'm freaked out reading the long list of issues concerning this light assembly and the cost of repair. Can I get any help from Cadillac? Other than buy new and from GM dealers-Any advice?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.