Head lamp condensation and water penetration - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Head lamp condensation and water penetration in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Jerry3149121213 The passenger side headlight quit working on my 2010 SRX last week. There's a lot of ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Head lamp condensation and water penetration

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry3149121213 View Post
    The passenger side headlight quit working on my 2010 SRX last week. There's a lot of condensation in the headlight assembly. The service manager at the local Cadillac dealer told me the headlight assembly must have been bumped and the seal compromised. The cost to fix it is $1,250 plus 2 hours labor and tax. The car is within the time warranty but outside the mileage warranty. He was very clear that GM would not help me with this problem. I guess GM trains their dealers to blame all products that prove defective after the warranty expires on their customers. This is my third Cadillac and I've had more problems with this car than the other two combined. Does anyone know of a better option than to pay the dealer $1,500 to fix a defective part?
    Hello Jerry3149121213,

I apologize for the headlight assembly concern you are experiencing. I understand your hesitation for going through with this repair due to the cost. I would still like to review your situation. Please contact me via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com. Include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the dealer name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Notimpressedowner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac SRX

I bought by 2010 Cadillac SRX used VERY PRICEY still, with apparently too many miles (79,000) on it to where everything that is no longer covered under warranty has gone wrong. 31 days after I purchased this vehicle it went threw 3 batteries that kept needing jumped come to find out the ground wiring was corroded and needed replaced(WONDERFUL). Then the rear axle had a leak (thankfully this was the only thing still covered by warrantly) but really a 2010 having this issue should not be happening. The right headlight has has condensation for 2 weeks and now my headlight is not working, and just the HID bulb is $245?!@?!?!?!?! What the heck?!?! THENNNNNN not only that... but the motor for the headlight appears to be the problem as well, so replacing to bulb did not fix the problem, and who in the heck can afford to have everything replaced at once? May I add that I still owe $29,500 for this vehicle with a $550 payment each month. Of course the headlight is not under warranty and I cannot afford one more issue with this vehicle. I am NOT impressed with Cadillac. It has always been a dream of mine to own one but I will never purchase another and I hope to sell this vehicle soon after I fix everything, for I would not want to throw this mess on anyone else. This has been the worst decision I have ever made in my life. When I contact dealers in the area they are always rude about the car issues and I am tired of being patient and polite when I am not treated with respect in return. I will not recommend ANY Cadillacs to any of my peers or friends. It is sad that such a "Luxury" name is getting such a terrible reputation because of this vehicle. I hate to be this type of person but I guess this is the way you have to be in the world we live in today. Thanks for nothing Cadillac.
    stevec5375 likes this.

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Notimpressedowner
    I bought by 2010 Cadillac SRX used VERY PRICEY still, with apparently too many miles (79,000) on it to where everything that is no longer covered under warranty has gone wrong. 31 days after I purchased this vehicle it went threw 3 batteries that kept needing jumped come to find out the ground wiring was corroded and needed replaced(WONDERFUL). Then the rear axle had a leak (thankfully this was the only thing still covered by warrantly) but really a 2010 having this issue should not be happening. The right headlight has has condensation for 2 weeks and now my headlight is not working, and just the HID bulb is $245?!@?!?!?!?! What the heck?!?! THENNNNNN not only that... but the motor for the headlight appears to be the problem as well, so replacing to bulb did not fix the problem, and who in the heck can afford to have everything replaced at once? May I add that I still owe $29,500 for this vehicle with a $550 payment each month. Of course the headlight is not under warranty and I cannot afford one more issue with this vehicle. I am NOT impressed with Cadillac. It has always been a dream of mine to own one but I will never purchase another and I hope to sell this vehicle soon after I fix everything, for I would not want to throw this mess on anyone else. This has been the worst decision I have ever made in my life. When I contact dealers in the area they are always rude about the car issues and I am tired of being patient and polite when I am not treated with respect in return. I will not recommend ANY Cadillacs to any of my peers or friends. It is sad that such a "Luxury" name is getting such a terrible reputation because of this vehicle. I hate to be this type of person but I guess this is the way you have to be in the world we live in today. Thanks for nothing Cadillac.
    Cadillac is better than lost brands for extending courtesy repairs and/or reduced costs for repairs especially if you bought your used SRX from your local Cadillac dealer. If you bought it from a used car dealership you usually are SOL.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Notimpressedowner View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. If you had known about this forum before you bought the SRX you could have come here and seen all these problems you are having. They have happened to me and fortunately I was still under warranty. A lot of people on this forum claimed they never had problems with the 2010 model but many of them sure jumped ship to a later model year when it became available. Maybe they just like new models all the time. Who knows! But, like you, this is my last Cadillac.

My service adviser told me "I dodged a bullet" with my headlights both going out due to the condensation problem. It would have cost almost $1,000 each to replace them. My warranty runs out in January 2014 and I hope to be out of this car before more problems surface. This car is lipstick on a pig. I don't blame you for selling it and cutting your losses.

Penn149 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2010 SRX and it JUST went out of the warranty period and wouldn't you know it...BAM. The passenger HID headlight went out. I replace the bulb, and it didn't work. Now that i'm reading the posts, I see its gonna cost me $$$$$$$ to replace this. And to think, i traded my CTS in for this model........smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Penn149 View Post
    I have a 2010 SRX and it JUST went out of the warranty period and wouldn't you know it...BAM. The passenger HID headlight went out. I replace the bulb, and it didn't work. Now that i'm reading the posts, I see its gonna cost me $$$$$$$ to replace this. And to think, i traded my CTS in for this model........smh.
    Hello Penn149,

I apologize your passenger HID headlight went out and I understand your concern for the cost of repair when outside of warranty. I would like the opportunity to look into your situation. Although I cannot guarantee cost assistance, we are more than happy to look into any possibilities for you. Please send me a private message or email to socialmedia@gm.com that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Ok folks. Here's a new one....

My wife takes the SRX in today for the final warranty repair list - headlight condensation being one of the items. The service advisor admits that there is a big problem and GM has been replacing a LOT of SRX headlinghts. It's so prevalent that now, supposedly, the service advisors are supposed to convince the customer that the condensation is not unusual and that GM will NOT replace these anymore under warranty....unless it's really bad and you've got a foot of water in the headlight assembly. As my wife is explaining this to me, she and I both a bit shocked that the advisor would openly admit the problem exists AND 'sell out' GM by indicating their position on the issue. I guess he's trying to earn points by being honest! Anyways, the dealer was so busy that we weren't even able to leave the car today so an appointment was made for next week. And while he admitted that he hadn't yet seen how extensive the water is in our headlight, the feeling she got was that they really are going to resist. Obviously, that's not going to be acceptable. I'll be sure and update....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post

My wife takes the SRX in today for the final warranty repair list - headlight condensation being one of the items. The service advisor admits that there is a big problem and GM has been replacing a LOT of SRX headlinghts. It's so prevalent that now, supposedly, the service advisors are supposed to convince the customer that the condensation is not unusual and that GM will NOT replace these anymore under warranty....unless it's really bad and you've got a foot of water in the headlight assembly. As my wife is explaining this to me, she and I both a bit shocked that the advisor would openly admit the problem exists AND 'sell out' GM by indicating their position on the issue. I guess he's trying to earn points by being honest! Anyways, the dealer was so busy that we weren't even able to leave the car today so an appointment was made for next week. And while he admitted that he hadn't yet seen how extensive the water is in our headlight, the feeling she got was that they really are going to resist. Obviously, that's not going to be acceptable. I'll be sure and update....
    Andy, sorry for all your troubles. Fortunately I got both of mine replaced. As well as condensation, water was standing in my headlights. However I am totally amazed at your story and would raise hell if they refuse to honor the warranty. Furthermore, what really stinks about this whole thing is that us taxpayers BAIL OUT GM to the tune of several billion dollars and this is the way they treat us when we buy their crappy products.

This is yet another reason why I won't be buying another GM product. Thanks for sharing your story.

WildBillZ28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

My wife's 2010 SRX Turbo Premium AWD had the right HID Headlight go out in 10/2012, dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. Last week the Left one went out. The Mileage portion of the warranty has just expired (51,900 miles.) In the past our local service representative has not been very helpful in dealing with these type issues. However, when I went in with this issue, they were very helpful. GM has a Service Bulletin on this issue, therefore they replaced the whole unit under warranty. This is the first time since we purchased this vehicle that I have had a positive experience with the local dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post

Hello Andy_TN,

I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concerns you are experiencing. I am more than happy to further discuss your situation and assist you while working with your dealer next week. If you would like my involvement, please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by WildBillZ28 View Post
    My wife's 2010 SRX Turbo Premium AWD had the right HID Headlight go out in 10/2012, dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty. Last week the Left one went out. The Mileage portion of the warranty has just expired (51,900 miles.) In the past our local service representative has not been very helpful in dealing with these type issues. However, when I went in with this issue, they were very helpful. GM has a Service Bulletin on this issue, therefore they replaced the whole unit under warranty. This is the first time since we purchased this vehicle that I have had a positive experience with the local dealer.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, WildBillZ28. I am glad you had a positive experience while working with your local dealer. I hope you and your wife continue to enjoy her SRX. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

I had condensation in my driver side headlight assembly and the service writer told me that it was a common problem. It took a couple of days to get the parts but it was replaced under warranty, no problem. I had a loaner car for the time the car was waiting for parts so I am totally satisfied with GM and my Cadillac Dealer.

Based on the fact that I have had BOTH my headlight assemblies replaced under warranty my question is are these new and improved or did they use the same flawed design. If the latter, then I'm assuming that 3-4 years down the road I'll be paying $2K for new ones. Not good.

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Based on the fact that I have had BOTH my headlight assemblies replaced under warranty my question is are these new and improved or did they use the same flawed design. If the latter, then I'm assuming that 3-4 years down the road I'll be paying $2K for new ones. Not good.
    That's a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by jrose7004 View Post
    I had condensation in my driver side headlight assembly and the service writer told me that it was a common problem. It took a couple of days to get the parts but it was replaced under warranty, no problem. I had a loaner car for the time the car was waiting for parts so I am totally satisfied with GM and my Cadillac Dealer.
    Hello jrose7004,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your experience; we appreciate it. I hope you are still enjoying your SRX! If additional concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us so we can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

pedaniels is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4 Performance

For a person who grew up in Detroit, with a WWII Dad who would only drive a Cadillac for the last 70 years. I am very disappointed that that my headlight has been out for weeks and I am past my 50K warranty period and I have to pay so much for my right headlight due to a defective part causing condensation requiring a replacement assembly. I don't understand why the recall that was originally given for this headlight problem in the 2010 SRX is still not honored. Dealers are rude and are in no way accommodating, other than telling you how much more you have to pay. I am very disappointed in Cadillac in dealing with this issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.