Vibration; Tire "shimmy"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Vibration; Tire "shimmy" in Cadillac SRX Forums; I recently traded my 2004 SRX N* for a new 2012 SRX Luxury. The '04, which I purchased new, was ...
    Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

Vibration; Tire "shimmy"

I recently traded my 2004 SRX N* for a new 2012 SRX Luxury. The '04, which I purchased new, was a great car but suffered many of the first-year problems. The 2012 is, of course, a very different vehicle; it fits our needs very well, and the GM incentives made it difficult to pass up.
    However, the vehicle was on the dealer's lot, in new car inventory, for 8 months. It had only 10 miles on it when purchased. I was concerned about tire "lot rot" and sure enough, once driven at highway speeds above 70 mph, the vibration started. The local Cadillac dealer force balanced the tires, but the two rears could not be brought within specs; they were replaced with two new tires. The fronts were said to be well within specs. Now, I still get a shimmy above 70 mph, especially at 75-77. It is not as bad as before, but is definitely there. The dealer tells me that this is "normal" for the second generation SRX. (Anyone heard that before?)
    Thus my question.....do any other 2010-2013 owners have such a vibration or shimmy above 70 mph?
    Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddybill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury w/nav
    I had same problem with 2011 Lux with OEM Latitude Tour HPs at 12,500 miles. Dealer said he couldn't balance tires so he "trued" them to stop vibration. Of coarse the tires needed replacing by 25,000 miles. I posted the situation on the Michelin web site and they responded by email to me with a claim #, and said the dealer should have replaced the tires instead of grinding them. I took a copy of the email to the dealer and they asked what I thought would be a fair resolution to this. I told them that 40% off their discounted price of a new set would satisfy me. They agreed to this and so far the new tires are doing fine. I hope I can get 50 or 60,000 miles out of these tires without vibration.
    The dealer did screw up originally but I think they did do the right by me now. I don't know if Michelin helped the dealer with this or not, but at least they did the right thing in the end.

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauai 1
    I recently traded my 2004 SRX N* for a new 2012 SRX Luxury. The '04, which I purchased new, was a great car but suffered many of the first-year problems. The 2012 is, of course, a very different vehicle; it fits our needs very well, and the GM incentives made it difficult to pass up.
    However, the vehicle was on the dealer's lot, in new car inventory, for 8 months. It had only 10 miles on it when purchased. I was concerned about tire "lot rot" and sure enough, once driven at highway speeds above 70 mph, the vibration started. The local Cadillac dealer force balanced the tires, but the two rears could not be brought within specs; they were replaced with two new tires. The fronts were said to be well within specs. Now, I still get a shimmy above 70 mph, especially at 75-77. It is not as bad as before, but is definitely there. The dealer tells me that this is "normal" for the second generation SRX. (Anyone heard that before?)
    Thus my question.....do any other 2010-2013 owners have such a vibration or shimmy above 70 mph?
    Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

I recently bought winter rims and wheels my my 2012 SRX and ended up with the same kind of vibration. I know the the feeling, i like my ride to be prefect and it was just there enough for me to hate my ride into work every day....Tried to have them balanced one more time with no improvements and ended up doing a "road force". They finally found the tire that was problematic and moved it from the front to the rear and this helped tremendously and is almost perfect. I am still working with the tire place to get this one replaced....in my case it is not a dealer issue.....but to answer your question, NO this is not normal for the SRX , this is a BS answer from the dealer....another BS answer i heard in my case was that you should never drive at that speed anyway.....$%#%&$....if they replaced the tires at the rear they should do the same for the front or at least give you a discount. You can also try to swap the front and rear tires and this can make a drastic improvement....good luck, let me know how it turns out.

DT

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Of course it is not normal. Most likely a tire balance issue or an unlikely suspension or alignment issue. No vehicle should have a vibration at a certain speed.
    TheCaptain and TheCaptain like this.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Re: Vibration; Tire "shimmy"

Can't be normal for sure. The dealer is full of BS. He should just replace all tires and be done with it. I now have an 2013 premium SRX, rides so smooth, you would not know it was a crossover suv, really like the ride so far!!!! It has 20" wheels also. Keep after the dealer for tire replacement..
    Another thing to check and make sure that one of the wheels is not damaged. The tire they moved frrom the front to the rear, is just a temporary fix. Get rid of that tire now, if not, you will have trouble later on.....Let me know how it turns out...

BriggZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS, LUXw/Nav & Sun Roof, RWD; 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    That's not normal. I have a 12 performance w/ 20" Chrometech wheels with 4000miles and it rides really smooth between 70-80 mph. Good luck.

Thank you to those who replied! I have had lots of experience over the years with tire problems, and was quite sure that this situation was not "normal." However, there was the slim chance that the second generation SRX suffered from "smooth road shake." Since this is not the case, I will be pushing for two more new tires.
    Thanks again!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Kauai 1, have you involved our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at any point in the process yet? I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance if you would like me to investigate your best next steps for you at any point.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

All is now well! The best technician at the local dealership rebalanced the tires to perfection, and the vibration/shimmy is gone.
    Thanks again to all who responded...........

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Kauai, that's great to hear! I'm very sorry for the frustration leading up to that point but am pleases that your SRX is performing to your satisfaction currently.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Kauai...

Glad to hear that you have the problem solved...But, i still have a concern with that tire issue!!!!

Funny, now I have the same problem. Dealer balanced tires, was even worse than before!! I think my dealer does not have the GM recommended balance machine, they are not listed on the Hunter GSP9700 website. They tried to fix it again and while better, I still have a shimmy at around 55 mph. Unless it gets worse, I will have them look at it again during next oil change, along with a couple TSBs to perform.

Bad news! The problem with smooth road vibration is back, and I am very frustrated with the lack of remedial action by the dealer and GM Tech Assistance Center personnel. As I reported earlier, the dealer rebalanced the tires in March, and the vibration disappeared. We took no trips in May or June at highway speeds, so no problem noticed. Then the right front lower control arm bushing failed, and the control arm was replaced and an alignment done at the dealership. Two days later we took a trip of several hundred miles, and there it was again starting in the 70's on up.
    So, back to the dealer, who road force balanced the tires (again) and said they were within specs. I made several test drives, and the vibration now starts in the mid-60's, and is worse in the 70's. So, back to the dealer again..... Now I am told other SRX's have the same problem and GM TAC procedures show no remedy. I know the situation is not "normal", per my experience and reports by others on this Forum. I suspect the two tires that were not replaced months ago are at fault (they are on the rear, and the vibration can be felt throughout the vehicle with only a small amount of steering wheel vibration), but GM will not approve tire replacement if they can meet balance specs. I asked for the tires to be switched with another SRX without the problem, but was told they all have the problem!
    So far, calls to Cadillac Customer Assistance have been most frustrating, especially dealing with people who have no background and experience with automobile problems. (One rep was extremely rude, but that is another story.)
    I would greatly appreciate other Forum members to give their feedback. I know some have reported vibration problems, most report none.
    Thanks for your help!!

We had a road/radial force balance done but have not been back on the interstate. Ours seems fine up to about 60-65. When they say within spec, that could mean up to 18 pounds of variation. I would be interested to see if your tires are near this. Ours they got down to less than 5 pounds of variation. Do you have 18 or 20 inch wheels? Chrome Tech or standard wheels?

What were the symptoms that required the control arm to be replaced?

Go to a pro tire shop.....Quit messing with the dealer!!!! You have bad tires without question. The techs at the dealerships today, know nothing about how to balance tires and alignment. They always have excuses....I have owned 2 SRX's, not one problem with vibration, balance or alignment.
    Who replaced the control arm. How can the control arm be worn out already?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.