Vibration; Tire "shimmy" - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Vibration; Tire "shimmy" in Cadillac SRX Forums; After a visit to an independent tire shop for road force balancing of the rear tires, plus the dealer's efforts, ...
    Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

Re: Vibration; Tire "shimmy"

After a visit to an independent tire shop for road force balancing of the rear tires, plus the dealer's efforts, it was determined that the vibration was caused by a bad rear tire. It was replaced under warranty, and now all is well. Several trips have been smooth, and enjoyable drives.
    Thanks to all of the Forum members who assisted in resolving the subject problem.
    And, we did purchase a new '13 XTS to join the SRX in the garage. They look good together!
    TheCaptain likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Kauai 1 View Post
    After a visit to an independent tire shop for road force balancing of the rear tires, plus the dealer's efforts, it was determined that the vibration was caused by a bad rear tire. It was replaced under warranty, and now all is well. Several trips have been smooth, and enjoyable drives.
    Thanks to all of the Forum members who assisted in resolving the subject problem.
    And, we did purchase a new '13 XTS to join the SRX in the garage. They look good together!
    Hello Kauai 1,

I am glad your vehicle issue has been resolved! I hope you are enjoying both of your Cadillac vehicles now. I bet they do look good together Don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if additional concerns or questions arise.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

I'm glad I've found this thread. As I've previously posted, we picked up a 2014 Premium AWD in late September. We ended up having to take an unexpected road trip a week later, and began experiencing a loud vibration during the trip. We stopped at a Cadillac dealer on the way, and they were unable to find anything (couldn't get it to duplicate), and when we got back, we had our dealer check it. No luck.

During the trip, it was mostly around 60-65 mph in cruise control when the vibration would pop up, and it was loud (sounded like a semi was next to you). It mainly seemed to do it during cruise control or similar highway driving; as soon as you would accelerate or hit the brakes, it would quit. On a few occasions, it also happened at other speeds (at complete random), but was at its worst on the highway.

When we got back, in early October, the noise didn't come up again... until yesterday. This time, it was at exactly 31 mph with the cruise on, and it only did it a couple of times. We couldn't think of any reason why it would suddenly do it again, until we realized that I had just put the car into ECO mode. I had also done that at the beginning of the trip (though I had extinguished it before the noise started). I've noticed in this thread that the most common causes of a vibration are a bad rear tire or something with the driveshaft. Is it possible that somehow the ECO mode is causing just the right condition for the noise to pop up?

In the next couple of days, I'm hoping to test the car in and not in ECO mode and with various seating arrangements and cargo to see if I can duplicate it again. If I can, I'll try to have a tech ride with me to hear it. But in the meantime, can anyone post if they've experienced something exactly like this, and what the problem was?

Thanks.

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

We believe we have found our answer at last - bad drive shaft. The dealer discovered it today while it was in for a firmware update on the rear heated seats. It was causing a whining sound during acceleration at this point, and they were able to narrow it down.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

I could feel a mild vibration at 65+ mph on my new 2013 FWD SRX with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55-20, chrome wheels. After one visit to the dealer to get the tires re-balanced and have the locking lugs removed and replaced with regular lug, I could still feel the vibration. Dealer recommended a road force balance which they could not do, but they took it to a tire dealer that had a hunter road force balance machine. By road force balancing the tires they found that 3 of my tires were out of spec (not round). The dealer replace with 3 new tires. I can still feel a teenny tinny bit of vibration at highway speeds, but I can live with that. I may go and spend the money to get the three new tires road force balanced. I am surprised that there were 3 bad tires on my car. I always thought Michelin was the best tire you could buy, but I guess I got a bad batch.

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    I could feel a mild vibration at 65+ mph on my new 2013 FWD SRX with Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/55-20, chrome wheels. After one visit to the dealer to get the tires re-balanced and have the locking lugs removed and replaced with regular lug, I could still feel the vibration. Dealer recommended a road force balance which they could not do, but they took it to a tire dealer that had a hunter road force balance machine. By road force balancing the tires they found that 3 of my tires were out of spec (not round). The dealer replace with 3 new tires. I can still feel a teenny tinny bit of vibration at highway speeds, but I can live with that. I may go and spend the money to get the three new tires road force balanced. I am surprised that there were 3 bad tires on my car. I always thought Michelin was the best tire you could buy, but I guess I got a bad batch.
    This sounds like my ordeal, except the replacement tires were unable to be road forced balanced, as well. The car sitting on the dealer lot is terrible for a new tire. I can tell you that road force balancing is the way to go, and I am shocked there are still Caddy dealers (mine included) that do not have the Hunter or equivalent road force balance machine. Here is a good link for future reference for shops to find in your area:
    http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I had one of the drive shafts on mine replaced for a harmonic vibration. They tried all the same stuff as yours. There's some neat gizmo they have that will sense vibrations and tell where they come from using a multitude of sensors. Thats what it took with mine. I remember another vibration (but not the details) that was cured by cleaning and reapplying the proper amount of grease and locktite to one of the drive shafts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.