2012 3.6l oil requirements
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 3.6l oil requirements in Cadillac SRX Forums; Tried to see if there were any posts regarding the change from full syn Mobil1 required in older SRX. New ...
    snow333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2012 3.6l oil requirements

Tried to see if there were any posts regarding the change from full syn Mobil1 required in older SRX. New 2012 3.6l has the syn blend as a requirement. I asked the dealer what had changed and the service mgr. said GM is paying for the service on new cars. Pretty sure he was joking or was he? Old forums are discussing oil, consumption, brands, etc. Obviously the 2012's don't have the mileage or wear yet, but doesn't anyone else think this is odd?
    BTW, I asked this same mgr. if it was ok to switch to a blend for my 2005 and he thought it best not to switch now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wwolfe68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: 2012 3.6l oil requirements

Just picked up my 12 SRX AWD Premium Saturday and yes my Cadillac dealer is doing "free" oil changes and tire rotations for the length of the 4yr/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty. They do put synthetic or syn blend in as well as oil change intervals are 5,000 miles.

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by wwolfe68 View Post
    Just picked up my 12 SRX AWD Premium Saturday and yes my Cadillac dealer is doing "free" oil changes and tire rotations for the length of the 4yr/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty. They do put synthetic or syn blend in as well as oil change intervals are 5,000 miles.
    Yup, same here.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

GM went with Shell to supply them a synthetic blend packaged as AC Delco Synthetic Blend. They award the supply contracts to the lowest bidder and Shell was able to make a blend that could pass the dexos requirement. GM does not recommend a full synthetic oil in any 2011 + vehicles.

Shell is the largest oil company in the world.

Will Cadillacs still use Mobil 1 as a factory-fill oil?
    • No, ACDelco dexos1 5W-30 will be used as factory fill, and meets the standards for Cadillac engines.
    • However, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is dexos1-approved and will remain on the GM Oil Program as the dexos1
    Full Synthetic offering on our program for those consumers who want to purchase it.

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is dexos1-approved and remains as the “Best” option in our Good Better Best
    comprehensive offer .

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

snow333,

Your service manager was likely referring to the Cadillac Premium Care Maintenance Program. Check it out here: http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premi...intenance.html

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

snow333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Probably did not make my myself clearer. The svc. mgr. was trying to make a joke about the switch
    since GM is paying, therefore the requirement changed to cheaper oil. I agree with previous comments except the interval at my dealership will not be 5000 miles but still relies on the DIC when needed. Also if I want full syn I pay extra. Not complaining just wondering what changed?
    My 2005 is an oil user(120k plus) and might switch to a blend. BTW very happy with the 2012 so far.

CBOYLE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium 2011 DTS Platinum

I use Mobil 1 in our 2012 SRX and pay for it. Just a preference. Used it in our 2008 STS and never had a problem.
    I will take the free tire rotation when the time comes

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

My wife just had the first oil change on her 2012 Lux AWD. The odo was approximately 3600 miles at 19% oil life remaining. For reference, almost all of the driving has been in-town. I had asked her to request Mobil 1 and when she made the service appointment she was told the upcharge was minimal. When she arrived for her appointment, the service advisor originally told her that it was too soon for the oil change. She explained that she had received the oil life warning from Onstar and the dealership had called to schedule the appointment. Then he asked about the length of ownership and she replied the car was purchased in July 2012. After a few more minutes and checking, both regarding the mileage and the use of Mobil 1, the service advisor said that they would proceed with the oil change and tire rotation. She had been advised that the Mobil 1 upgrade was $15. When the service was completed, the service advisor said there would be no additional charge for the Mobil 1. He also said they were still unsure about the warranty coverage for using Mobile 1 and whether the manufacturer would pay for all, some, or none of the cost for the Mobil 1. Regardless, the dealer would waive any charge resulting from non-reimbursement for the Mobil 1, and they would know next time. Apparently, she was the first to request Mobil 1 oil. I sincerely hope that the use of Mobil 1 is authorized by GM for warranty use, even with a $15 upgrade charge. I still believe that full synthetic is still the best option (without getting into the argument about whether Mobil 1 is really a fully synthetic oil!) I understand the petroleum based and blended oils meeting dexos 1 specs are more expensive than similar oils meeting previous GM specifications. Not really sure how the dexos 1 cost compares to the full synthetics.

Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

Mobil 1 bottles now state on the front label "Dexos 1 Approved."

Quote Originally Posted by Kauai 1 View Post
    Mobil 1 bottles now state on the front label "Dexos 1 Approved."
    I was unclear in my last remark. I knew that Mobil 1 is dexos 1 approved, but I don't think anything changed with the formulation. I meant to compare the cost of dexos 1 blends (i.e. the new AC Delco blend, supplied by Shell) with the full syns (i.e. Mobil 1).

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

GM is not paying for Mobil1 ... the dealer can use mobil1 if they want but GM is only going to reimburse them for the price of dexos

----------

also, i'm pretty sure ExxonMobil makes the ACDelco branded Dexos
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    GM is not paying for Mobil1 ... the dealer can use mobil1 if they want but GM is only going to reimburse them for the price of dexos
    Thanks Rippy, got it. BUT, is GM going to pay ANYTHING if Mobil 1 is used? That was the question left unanswered. If GM pays for the dexos 1, and the dealer upcharges, say $15 like we were first told, I'm happy with that. If the dealer wants to upcharge for the full cost of the Mobil 1, then I am not pleased with that.

no, they should only upcharge the difference (that's what we do)
    beachcad and beachcad like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

NotMine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux, with several upgrades

Just had the Premium Service done on the wife's car (2012 SRX) and when the dealer picked up the car to do the service, I gave specific instructions (in writing) for the use of Mobil 1 FULL synthetic. Also I supplied a container for the oil sample that I send in for analysis. Listed a few other small things I wanted done.

ALL ITEMS WERE COMPLETED TO MY SATISFACTION. The completed Service Order states, "Customer Requires Mobil 1", with no upcharge. The delivery driver said the Service Manager OKed the NO UPCHARGE. Very happy.....

Awesome.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.