2012 3.6l oil requirements - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 3.6l oil requirements in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by NotMine Don't wish to confuse the issue and start a "war". You know everyone has an opinion, ...
    adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by NotMine View Post
    Don't wish to confuse the issue and start a "war". You know everyone has an opinion, and the thread could go off in another direction.
    Start a new thread with your findings. I have thought about using oil analysis but one of those million things I've never gotten around to doing!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    There's quite a few members here who have had oil analysis done. All of them seem to report that the oil life monitor is very accurate (as it should be) and has a good safety factor built in (as it is claimed to have been designed). As for further depth of analysis that gets a bit too esoteric for the average person but is definitely interesting to many.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: 2012 3.6l oil requirements

I've always wanted to see oil anyalysis results. The only thing is, you would have to drive essentially the exact same, and take the samples at the same relational time in order to get results that could compare.
    (for example, I could do lots of stop and go city driving for the first oil change, and then lots of highway driving for the second oil change, and they will have drastically different results) Unless you sampled multiple times throughout your driving conditions, then just getting results by getting lots of sampled numbers and going for the average...
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

I think the major benefit to samples is to see over time if anything is changing with how your engine is running and wearing

one sample might be able to tell you some good info
    but over time how the sample data is changing will tell a much better story
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

NotMine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux, with several upgrades

Agree with Chris above.

As an issue..... An oil analysis (actually several over a period of time) with continually escalating values, provided evidence to the dealer and ultimately GM that I had the infamous Dexcool/manifold problem on a 2001 Impala V-6. They repaired the car for free and just out of warranty (although I started my complaint while the warranty was still in effect).

ladypro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Premium Awd Black Raven/Ebony

Manual In Brief pg1-23
    Performance and Maintenance
    the engine oil life system calculates engine oil life based on vehicle use and displays the Change Engine Oil Soon message when it is time to change the engine oil and filter. the engine oil life system should be reset to 100% only following an oil change

that being said "no dip sticking for me"

i don't follow ... are you saying that because the owners manual talks about "oil life" and the oil life monitor that you won't check the "oil level" with the dipstick?

Marc NY is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ladypro View Post
    Hey that's no problem but I would definitely have your significant other or a friend check your oil level from time to time to make sure everything is OK.

At least have someone check it when adding washer fluid or any other time hood is open.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you dont check the oil level and the engine burns up your on the hook for $4 to 6 grand in a new engine. Its your money not mine. Read your owners manual on how to check the oil.

I did read it and it states "the Change Engine Oil Soon" message when it is time to change the engine oil and filter I have no worries my oil was changed in January and I've only put a 1000 mi. on the car since. i'm thinking I will only need one once a year unless the message pops up!

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I did read it and it states "the Change Engine Oil Soon" message when it is time to change the engine oil and filter I have no worries my oil was changed in January and I've only put a 1000 mi. on the car since. i'm thinking I will only need one once a year unless the message pops up!
    Unless Cadillac goes the way of BMW and removes the dipstick altogether, checking the oil is quick and a must. Doing this at least once a month is a good idea. As others have stated, the Driver Information Center is not necessarily going to let you know that the oil LEVEL is low. If any engine damage results from a low level of oil, it will deemed the owner's responsibility and not covered by any warranty. With the interval between oil changes being so long, it's definitely a good idea to get in the habit of checking that dipstick periodically.

so you guys are saying it doesn't matter how many miles you drive, check it anyway. ok I checked and it is full guess my read out is working.

so you guys are saying it doesn't matter how many miles you drive, check it anyway. ok I checked and it is full guess my read out is working.
    The monitor in your information center does not monitor oil level. It monitors oil quality. An engine in theory is not supposed to use oil. You change oil because it gets dirty and loses its lubricating properties over time. This is the monitor that gradually goes down from 100% down to 0%.

Some vehicles, but apparently not the SRX, will also monitor oil level. Some engines can use oil before it is time to change it. What we are saying is you could be a quart or more low but not be due for an oil change. The oil life monitor we have would not know this. That is why it is important to check it periodically.

As far as running the oil too low and causing damage, that would be at the discretion of GM whether or not to honor a warranty. The manual does state there should be an oil level sensor but Chris is pretty sure it does not. Also, even if it did, sensors can fail, hence the need for a dipstick.

It was good you checked and try to check again in 1,000 miles to see if you use any oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.