Is condensation on the inside of windshield normal?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Is condensation on the inside of windshield normal? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Noticing a recurring problem with my 2013 SRX. Perhaps its nothing. I will leave it to you to decide. When ...
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is condensation on the inside of windshield normal?

Noticing a recurring problem with my 2013 SRX. Perhaps its nothing. I will leave it to you to decide.

When I get to my vehicle in the evening, there is a layer of fog on the window. Seems to happen quite often. I live in the NYC metro area so the weather has been in the 40s by day and then we get an arctic blast in the evening.

Perhaps the fog is normal, as the vehicle has a defogger to deal with these things, but the annoying aspect of it all is that it seems to happen quite frequently, and even after defogging, the window has a dirty film across it. I don't smoke, so I don't know why the window is retaining a smudge effect.

Also noticed the front headlight was fogged up as well.

Again, maybe nothing. Only reason I bring it up is because I never had this problem with my 2010 SRX (or as frequently). I want to be certain there is not a seal issue here. Perhaps someone can tell me what should be considered normal for foggy windows and headlights.

As always, thanks for the help here.

EDIT: The more I read, the more that I see this is a normal occurrence when warm air meets cold. Certainly, that is the kind of temperature we have been having here. Also reading that cleaning the inside of the windshield with good glass cleaner will help (which I will do today). Again, I think I am more concerned with the increased frequency of the window fog, but probably all weather related.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is online now Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: Is condensation on the inside of windshield normal?

The window fog happens every time you take a vehicle from a warm garage out into the cold winter air here. The condensation is normal, and the only way to avoid it is to keep the vehicle constantly cold (which can't happen if you plan on using it) or moving to a warmer climate.

Welcome to winter! (Also yes the headlights will do similar fogging. Nothing to worry about unless the fog turns into water. The headlights have a vent to atmosphere to attempt to help with this, but it also works backwards when the lights are off)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Captain, I can always rely on you for a comforting response.

It probably makes no difference from your explanation, but actually, the car sits outside all day.

I am guessing it's the sudden change of temperature that we are having day to night.

That would do it. You will see it on days where the humidity level takes a huge swing as well.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

300:29:1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain
    The window fog happens every time you take a vehicle from a warm garage out into the cold winter air here. The condensation is normal, and the only way to avoid it is to keep the vehicle constantly cold (which can't happen if you plan on using it) or moving to a warmer climate.

Welcome to winter! (Also yes the headlights will do similar fogging. Nothing to worry about unless the fog turns into water. The headlights have a vent to atmosphere to attempt to help with this, but it also works backwards when the lights are off)
    Yes thanks Captain for that explanation. The problem I have, is when that moisture on the inside of the windshield freezes. Very annoying.

Preaching to the choir bud!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.