Hatch issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Hatch issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; Had a weird event take place the other day. I had remote started our SRX and was attempting to extend ...
    carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Unhappy Hatch issue

Had a weird event take place the other day. I had remote started our SRX and was attempting to extend the run for another 10 min. I hit lock and then held down the start button as usual, but instead of the run time extending, the rear hatch opened and the alarm went off... with the car still running. It took numerous tries for me to get it to stop honking and the hatch to close. I figured it was just a glitch, and was then able to execute the command without issue.

Since then, however, the exterior button on the hatch is dead. I can still open the hatch with the fob or interior switch w/o issue, but the button does nothing. Obviously I will be getting in touch with our dealer about it, but anyone else know of similar issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Terry Judkins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Re: Hatch issue

Shortly after we purchased our 2010 SRX the hatch opened as my wife was entering the garage. The hatch struck the door and did minor damage. A few months later the hatch opened as I was crossing an intersection and some cargo fell out in the street. Never did it again. One of those mysteries.

Terry,

Not long after we got our SRX, I took it to pick up a brand new $500 ottoman. It was blizzarding out at the time. I put the ottoman in the back, drove home, and parked, leaving it in the back for removal later. A few hours go by, and the family shows up and is yelling at me that the hatch is open. Who knows how long it had been open, thankfully no one had stolen the ottoman and there was hardly any snow inside the car. We blamed it on an errant button press in my pocket, but your post now makes me wonder if it really wasn't my fault!

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I posted about this not long ago. I opened the hatch with the remote, and as I placed items in the back it closed on my head. I was able to hold it until the door finally reversed. It still wanted to close again but finally stopped. At 1 point with the door open and staying that way I could hear the motor running continuously. With the hatch closed I drove a short distance and parked at work. Not long after I discovered that the door had opened by itself. I closed it and have not had a problem since. It was pretty cold outside that day.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

carbeck,

Keep us posted on what your dealership finds out! We're available to follow up on anything as need be.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Will do. It's going in on Friday. We tested it just now and both fobs work, the interior driver switch works, the interior liftgate switch (for closing it when it's open) works, but the exterior button is totally dead. We'll see what happens...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    It was pretty cold outside that day.
    This makes me wonder if the cold we've been having lately could be a factor. I'm quite sure that the weird glitch with the fob is related to why the button is dead, but who knows.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

It better be really cold. My hatch was working in -36*C. It groaned and whined and was slow, but it worked.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior on order...

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

I had it in to the dealer today. They said it is a "bad switch" and had to order a part that should be in around the middle of next week. Thank God the fob still works until then.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    It better be really cold. My hatch was working in -36*C. It groaned and whined and was slow, but it worked.
    The hatch has no trouble opening as long as you use a fob or interior switch; I just wondered if the cold had anything to do with the button failing. My guess at this point is that it did not.

I still wonder if it is related, however, to the odd behavior of the fob that one time, as I described above.

So we got the car back yesterday unfixed, because a part had to be ordered, as I described above. Today, we decided to take the car out of town. We were doing 75 mph down the interstate, with $3000.00 worth of equipment in the back. I had the hatch switch set to "off" just in case anything went wrong.

Thank God I did.

The latch suddenly popped with us at full speed. Somehow, thankfully, since I had the switch set to "off", it did not swing all the way open and by the grace of God we were able to stop before any of the cargo fell out. We ended up having the dealer pull a fuse to try to disable the hatch, and it seems to have worked, as we now can't get it to open at all.

But obviously I am not happy. And the other stories I'm reading on this forum are not inspiring me. Is the hatch really going to be safe to use once a new switch arrives?

OK, the car was fixed today. The dealer took a long time to get the hatch part in so they were kind enough to cover a wiper blade replacement.

The hatch switch was replaced with a new one that is different. It protrudes noticeably more, feeling much more like a button than just a flat panel. Works good again.

The dealer said that the old switch was internally "crunchy" and they have had numerous other SRXs in recently with the same problem (so I am glad ours is not unique). My guess is that a recall will be on the way at some point. When I have the chance I will look at a 2013 on the lot and see if it has the new-style button or not.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

We appreciate that you posted the resolution, carbeck! I'm going to document your comments where the appropriate GM teams can view your feedback, and I'm pleased to see your SRX is running to your satisfaction now. If you would ever like me to document further feedback on your experience, I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Katie,

Thanks for your response. Please note that I found this post as well:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3138118

It appears that someone else had the exact same issue on a 2010 premium.

Whistlingdixiee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance, Glacier Blue

Quote Originally Posted by carbeck View Post
    OK, the car was fixed today. The dealer took a long time to get the hatch part in so they were kind enough to cover a wiper blade replacement.

The hatch switch was replaced with a new one that is different. It protrudes noticeably more, feeling much more like a button than just a flat panel. Works good again.

The dealer said that the old switch was internally "crunchy" and they have had numerous other SRXs in recently with the same problem (so I am glad ours is not unique). My guess is that a recall will be on the way at some point. When I have the chance I will look at a 2013 on the lot and see if it has the new-style button or not.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am interested to know if the button is the same on all of the 2013 SRX models. I hope someone
    can answer this question. I have read that a few owners of older SRX models have had the
    same problem. A guy on Facebook has his Facebook profile picture with his legs sticking out of the back of his SRX while the hatch door is squishing him. LOL I bought my SRX in spite of the picture...but I got a good laugh. I was thinking the problem would hopefully be fixed by now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.