Rough ride into work today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Rough ride into work today in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Rough ride into work today

So this mornings commute to work was less than ideal. We were getting freezing rain and the roads were very slick. I was in a parking lot and the car started to slide but I let the brakes do the work. I went along to the next light where on the center info screen the message service stabilitrack system came on, the engine light came on, and the car icon with the slippery road marks behind it came on. The car was shaking, and the RPMs were over 10,000. I called hubby and he told me to pull over, shut off the car, wait a minute and start it again and see what happens. The car was running like normal again except for the engine light still being illuminated, the car with wet tires icon turned off. The only thing that happened was the ABS system kicked on in that parking lot from being so slippery. Any ideas? I wonder if being parked all day if when I leave the office it will turn off?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Re: Rough ride into work today

It will probably be just fine, I hope!

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

We have a 2011 AWD Luxury. Sometime back, on a wet day, we were on a frontage road. I was literally creeping forward, about to pull out into traffic, and when I tried to accelerate, it felt like something was holding the car back, and it "shivered" for 2-3 seconds. Then it finally lurched forward (as I had punched it), and the service stabilitrak, service abs, and service traction messages all came on. We pulled over, I shut the engine off, restarted, and all were gone. No problems since.

Now, you described one icon as the car with slippery marks behind it. Did it say "off" beneath it? If so, that's the stabilitrak off light. If it did not say "off", that's the traction and/or stabilitrak active light. It comes on when the system is working to correct wheel spin. But, it can also indicate an error. From the owners manual (2010):

The indicator/warning light flashes while the StabiliTrak or TCS system is working to control the vehicle on a low traction surface. If the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light comes on and stays on while driving, try to reset the system. Stop and turn off the engine for at least 15 seconds. Then start the engine again. If this light still comes on and stays on, the vehicle needs service. The vehicle is safe to drive, but StabiliTrak is not active, adjust driving accordingly.
    The full manual is available at:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/...ers_manual.pdf

Thanks! No, the OFF wasn't on. I have a 2010 so to the left of the main info system guage, that icon came on. and the engine light was still on after I turned off the car and re started but it was driving like normal again.
    I hope it resets somehow after I leave work today. Always something it seems but this rain was making the roads very slick as it was starting to freeze, not a good commute what so ever. Im just glad my hubby was nice enough to follow me to work to make sure I got in ok.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Nice Guy, lucky lady!

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

OK, I missed the first time that the engine light was on. Do you have active OnStar? If so, when you go back out to the car, if the light is still on, ring them up and ask them to run diagnostic on it. However, my thought is that the light may have been related to when the engine raced over 10,000 RPM (when it happened to ours, it also revved excessively). When it happened to yours, was freezing rain actually falling at the time? If so, it's possible that the grille may have been covered in ice and not allowing heat to escape in the first place. Combine that with the engine racing, and it may have overheated. I would say to wait and see what happens when you get back out to it. You are fine to use the remote start if you want, as it will cancel the start if it detects a malfunction.

Yes, I do have active onstar. Ok, I'll wait and see what happens. I remember this racing happened 1x before when I had a sparkplug and coil go on me. Fingers crossed and yes, GMJim - very lucky lady! That was very sweet that he followed me to make sure I didn't break down on the roads. I was so stressed out...not a good morning.

Quick update. When I left work, the engine light was still on but he car was running as normal. I did press the onstar button and they ran a diagnostic - they said it's showing the electronic throddle control system had a problem. Now - my question is - does that relate to the power train? I called the dealership and they told me that it's possible that the engine light will stay on for afew more times until it senses that that problem isn't taking place anymore, then it MIGHT go off. If not, I can take it in but I"m out of warranty so they said for $167 they will read the code and let me know. From there IF it's powertrain related, that would still be covered under the other warranty I guess I still have for that, if it's anything else, I'd have to approve them to do the work and they would apply the $167 towards the repair. We have extremely heavy wet snow coming down like crazy, so far we have around 7 inches so I was clearly NOT going to take it on my way home. I was thinking about just waiting to see what happens over the weekend and possibly taking it in monday if it doesn't resolve. Do you all think I should limit driving longer distances while the engine light is still on? I had weekend plans to take the car to the city ( 50 miles drive there, 50 back ).

Thanks!

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    How are you out of warranty? You have a 2010 right?

yes, 2010 and yes, out of warranty, I am at aprox 56,000 miles

Make sure you ask if it is covered by the emissions warranty of 8 years 80,000 miles.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX, '10 SRX Luxury Radiant Silver / Titanium w/Ebony

I had this happen to me a while back. I have a 2010. Same exact behavior; EXCEPT, I could not get my Gear Shifter out of PARK until I cycled the car off and on. And the Check Engine Light stayed on after I successfully got it out of park.

I made a service appointment to check the engine light and the day before the appointment, the Check Engine light went out and stayed out. The car has behaved absolutely normal ever since and I cancelled the service appointment. Go Figure.

themacguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Base

It can take 3-5 driving cycles to reset a CEL, depending on the malfunction. Just letting the car sit and then starting it will probably not reset the light, since you have a hard code set.

I doubt the TPS is covered under Powertrain. A lot depends on the Dealer and your relationship with them.

Edit: As long as the CEL in NOT flashing (engine misfire), the car is safe to drive.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Isn't your 2010 covered under the 5 year 160 000km/100 000mi powertrain warranty? Or did the states not do that in 2010?
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior on order...

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Isn't your 2010 covered under the 5 year 160 000km/100 000mi powertrain warranty? Or did the states not do that in 2010?
    This is most likely an unwarrantable item:

GM Service Operations

**Urgent Message**

DCS 412
    DATE: September 21, 2009

TO: All US GM Dealers, Service Directors, Warranty Administrators and Parts Managers

SUBJECT: Changes to the General Motors 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertrain Warranty for 2010 Model Year Vehicles

This message is to provide information regarding the a few changes to the GM Powertrain Warranty for 2010 model year vehicles. Previous model year vehicles are NOT affected by these changes.

For model year 2010, General Motors is announcing a slight change in the components that are covered under the 100,000 mile/5 year limited warranty on all light duty cars and trucks. The Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklets have already been updated with these changes in all New 2010 model GM vehicles.

The following items have been eliminated from the Powertrain portion of the coverage for 2010, however, they will continue to be covered for the entire length of the Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty for all GM vehicles. Select components may also be covered by Federal or State Emission coverage. Please refer to the Labor Time Guide and Policies and Procedures (P&P) manual for further details.

1) The entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors and return line.

2) The Engine/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) and module programming.

3) The Transmission Control Module (TCM), Transfer Case Control Module and module programming.

4) The Throttle Body Assembly.

5) Clutch and Pressure Plate for Manual Transmission.

6) Sealed Wheel Bearing Assemblies or Hub and Bearing Assemblies (axle shafts, seals and bearings that are part of

complete axle housings are still covered).

The following items have been added to the Powertrain portion of the coverage for 2010.

1) Engine oiling system including the hoses, lines and cooler.

2) Crankshaft Pulley.

3) Clutch Master Cylinder.

The GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) and the new Global Warranty Management Investigate Vehicle History screen allows you to identify this new warranty by the abbreviated description under the Applicable Warranties section. The word warranty at the end of the description is abbreviated WTY. Previous 100,000 mile/5 Year Warranties have the entire word spelled out.

60/100,000 Powertrain Coverage Limited WTY (2010 Model Year example)

Subsequent communications will address other programs that may be coordinated with the New Vehicle Limited Warranty on our vehicles.

The attached wording is what is outlined in all 2010 Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklets for all GM vehicles.

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, lines and radiators. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

Transmission/Transaxle Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (Slave cylinder, etc.).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

The Transfer Case Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case as well as encoder motor.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, electrical connectors as well as the transfer case control module and/or module programming.

The Drive Systems Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts, universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals, gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential actuator, etc).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs,drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.

Courtesy Transportation Program

During the 100,000 mile/5 year warranty coverage period, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses will be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to the Owners Manual for details,

What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet.

Roadside Assistance Program

General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 100,000 miles/5 years, whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

Goodwill Adjustments on Powertrain Items

Based on the addition of the New 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertrain Warranty, GM would expect that very few powertrain repairs would be considered for Goodwill adjustments outside the 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertain Warranty period. We ask that dealers continue to analyze goodwill decisions on a case by case basis and recognize that time and mileage are always a factor. Total Goodwill dollars spent will continue to be communicated to all GM dealers as a memo item at the bottom of the GM Dealer Analysis (DA) report. This will allow dealership service mangers to manage the expense and involve their District Service Manager when necessary.

The following labor operations make up the entire list that is included in the New 2010 Powertrain coverage. The Coverage Code section of the labor Time Guide will be updated with this information in the November 2009 release.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.