White Platinum Ice Tricoat repair - color match question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, White Platinum Ice Tricoat repair - color match question in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2012 SRX (Gen 2) with White Platinum Ice Tri-coat paint. A couple weeks ago the car was ...
    TS - SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium AWD

Question White Platinum Ice Tricoat repair - color match question

I have a 2012 SRX (Gen 2) with White Platinum Ice Tri-coat paint.

A couple weeks ago the car was rear ended and the rear bumper needed to be repainted as part of the repair. When I picked the car up from the dealer, the bumper clearly didn't match, after working with the Insurance company I went in search of another repair shop.

I believe I have found a shop that will do a good job fixing the botched repair, which brings me to my question.

Does anyone have any experience having this color (or any other Tri-coat color matched). I understand that bumpers might look a bit different, but the first repair was way off. I suspect they didn't spray let down panels to get the proportions right, but can only really guess what they did wrong. Are there any specific paint questions I should be asking? Is there something I should look into that would give me some sort of idea how close the repair shop will be able to match the paint?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: White Platinum Ice Tricoat repair - color match question

Let's try this up in current SRX - there's quite a bit of activity there.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

tri-coat paints are just hard to match ... some painters will tell you that there is no way to get a perfect match for anything resembling a reasonable price

if you can talk to the painter and ask them about the tri-color paints and why they're hard to match
    the level of knowledge might key you on to how well they will be able to match
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

doug goldberg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Ive had two vehicles with WPI paint repaired. Both took several tries for the body shop to get correct. Its a really tough paint to match. The key is the middle coat. Just have them keep trying till your happy. Mine both came out fine in the end so it can be done.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Getting the base correct is also key. Especially since metal and plastic (body and bumper) react differently to paint.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Turbo Dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium 2.8 Turbo AWD |Platinum Ice Tricoat

I had a rear hatch repaint back in the summer and it turned out perfect. The bumper may be a different deal to get a match on. Good luck with it.

TS - SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium AWD

Thank you all for the info, I wanted to share how this ended.

Rereading the first post I realized I never said why I chose to go to another dealer. The original shop that first repaired the car had basically given me a load of crap about the paint not matching when I brought it to their attention in the first place. Their position was that when the temperature warmed up outside the color of the bumper would change and it would then match the car. They suggested I come back in the spring so they could look at it then.

I went into the second repair with the understanding from the posts here and some research I had done; that when matching plastic parts to metal there is generally a slight variation.
    At this point State Farma nd the body shop had already agreed the color match from the first repair was bad enough that it should be redone.
    Ultimately the second body shop wasn't able to match the paint after their first attempt, but they were a lot closer. They sprayed test panels and did a lot of work to actually match the paint on the car.
    They also called me and told me they didn't think it matched right and wanted to discuss repainting it and making another attempt at matching it.

Because of my experience with the first dealer I had contacted GM's customer support, so far I had only given them information about the first dealership and my experience there. I am not normally one to go that far, but this was the third time I have had some sort of problem with them.
    Being that the second shop had truly tried to match the paint and was having a hard time, I asked GM for help. They verified the process the shop had gone through and when they were happy we had exhausted other options they pulled a painted production part and sent it to the body shop.
    The car is now back to looking the way it did before the crash.

as a side note the second repair shop also found two bolts missing from the rear impact bar, when they tore down the back end.

Thanks again for the help and info.

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Sorry to hear of all your troubles.

Following this doosey of an accident, our car was repaired at a body shop located on a Cadillac dealers property (think its the same owner, or part of the dealership) at Andrews Cadillac.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...road-trip.html

We are extremely happy with their paint matching. No issues.

I was rear ended again last weekend, so now I need a new rear bumper. Ill let you know how this repair goes.

People following too closely and not paying attention.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

TS - SRX, thank you for your update! I'm so sorry that you went through this experience, and I appreciate that you took the time to elaborate on your dealer experience with my phone hotline colleagues at the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center. If you ever have questions in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.