Hatch Gone Haywire
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Hatch Gone Haywire in Cadillac SRX Forums; This morning I opened my hatch and proceeded to load some stuff inside. Before I realized it the thing was ...
    300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    This morning I opened my hatch and proceeded to load some stuff inside. Before I realized it the thing was closing on my head. I held it back but alot of resistance was required to make it stop and reverse direction. It kept trying to close and even open by itself. After a short drive I opened it, unloaded, and closed it. A few minutes later I noticed it had opened by itself. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Re: Hatch Gone Haywire

Could it be something as simple as something in your pocket pressing on the hatch button on the key fob?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman
    Could it be something as simple as something in your pocket pressing on the hatch button on the key fob?
    I thought about that. I'll have to be aware of it. I don't think that's the case though.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS, 2007 Escalade ESV
    Check the right hatch piston. Chances are that it is leaking, causing the hatch not to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanchris
    Check the right hatch piston. Chances are that it is leaking, causing the hatch not to stay up.
    I will, but I can hear the motor running. In fact, the motor ran without the hatch moving at the open position for a few seconds.

Are you hearing the latch motor running? Just wondering because we had a couple of latch motors fail. It sets a code B153A.

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanchris
    Are you hearing the latch motor running? Just wondering because we had a couple of latch motors fail. It sets a code B153A.
    It seems ok now. Where would I find a code?

It needs to be scanned at the dealer with GDS software.

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1
    This morning I opened my hatch and proceeded to load some stuff inside. Before I realized it the thing was closing on my head. I held it back but alot of resistance was required to make it stop and reverse direction. It kept trying to close and even open by itself. After a short drive I opened it, unloaded, and closed it. A few minutes later I noticed it had opened by itself. Help!

This just happened to me today - I opened the hatch and as I went in to pick up my bags (while the hatch was about mid way still opening) the thing started closing on me...i could hear the motor closing the hatch down

2012 SRX Luxury with 5000km....second glitch ths week with park sensor turning off on their own

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Both of you should take your SRXs to the dealer ASAP. Bad hatch switch. I can virtually guarantee you.

From what I have found, all 2010-2012 and at least some 2013 SRXs come with a rear hatch exterior switch that is relatively flat, and you feel like you push on the whole thing to activate the hatch. This piece is FAULTY. Over time, road dirt and debris builds up in the button and causes it to short out. The hatch then resets whenever it feels that it needs to, making it close or open unexpectedly (or try to open/close when it already is). Having the interior (driver door) switch set to "off" does NO GOOD. In order to stop the hatch from operating completely, you must pull the fuse. Note that after the fuse is pulled, when the dealer goes in, they must then crawl over the rear seat to get to it, so watch out for dirty shoe marks on the backs of the front seats.

My dealer has made many repairs for this. Our saga started when I noticed the exterior button no longer worked. The code confirmed it was bad, then while we were waiting for the part, it started opening/closing on its own, and we had to have the fuse pulled until it came in. They replaced the button with a new one that has a more pronounced "bump" - you feel it much more. No problems with it since.

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    I am due for my first service soon and for sure I'll bring it up.
    One thing I remembered this morning is that I had an active call on my cellphone when I went it and picked up my bag..and I did hear a weird noise on my call when the hatch closed....I wonder if there were some kind of interference....I'll test this again to see what happens

Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

This certainly sounds like a major safety matter. LAURA M., other CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS: Is General Motors going to institute a recall to correct the problem by installing new switches?!?
    If not, then those owners who have experienced this problem should contact the NHTSA and report it. I am not a big consumer advocate, but GM should address this before someone is seriously hurt.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel View Post
    I am due for my first service soon and for sure I'll bring it up.
    One thing I remembered this morning is that I had an active call on my cellphone when I went it and picked up my bag..and I did hear a weird noise on my call when the hatch closed....I wonder if there were some kind of interference....I'll test this again to see what happens
    Hello DTurmel,

Have you reached out to our counterpart of GM Canada about this issue? They would be more than happy to assist you with this issue you are having regarding your SRX’s hatch. Their number is 1-800-263-3777. I hope this information helps, feel free to private message me if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you very much.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kauai 1 View Post
    This certainly sounds like a major safety matter. LAURA M., other CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS: Is General Motors going to institute a recall to correct the problem by installing new switches?!?
    If not, then those owners who have experienced this problem should contact the NHTSA and report it. I am not a big consumer advocate, but GM should address this before someone is seriously hurt.
    Thank you Kauai 1, I have documented the concerns listed in this thread and I will send them along the proper channels. We look at all concerns on a case by case basis. Are you currently experiencing the issue as well? If you, or anyone else, is experiencing this issue, we would be more than happy to try and assist you in the process of resolving it.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

I don't understand how road grime and whatnot could build up in a button that is inside of the weather seals...
    Now, electronics that just randomly die, I can believe.

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I don't understand how road grime and whatnot could build up in a button that is inside of the weather seals...
    Now, electronics that just randomly die, I can believe.
    If you'd like, I can find the printout from that ordeal that describes how the button had become crunchy due to dirt building up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.