GPS Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Marc NY
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, GPS Issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; I've been using GPS type units way back to Loran era in my vehicles, boats and motorcycles. I enjoy the ...
    Herjeff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance

GPS Issue

I've been using GPS type units way back to Loran era in my vehicles, boats and motorcycles. I enjoy the luxury of the additional travel aid but my 2011 SRX is the first built in unit I've had. I've been wondering if anyone has got past the POI stop issue. I'm sure the whole world recognizes that the passenger can make adjustments on the screen while moving and it's not the driver. This makes the whole scope of safety a moot point. Radios including AM/FM/XM & HDD/USB, etc., have long been able to be fiddled with by changing stations or features, and you can turn on/off headlights, windshield wipers when it rains and just about every feature on the car which would be a distraction, even for a minute but no manufacturer stops you from being able to use these features. You can adjust your side mirrors while moving and that is a distraction from moving down the road at the same time. You can talk on your Bluetooth telephone or call Onstar while traveling yet you can't adjust your GPS because of some misconceived issue about the level of inattention to driving. You can check all your systems with the menu on your signal lever and that takes your eyes away from the road. So I was wondering why they zeroed in on the GPS since it's just one of the more useful items in the vehicle yet restricted by some unrealistic safety concern. So back to the question; has anyone got past this moving restriction on the GPS? On Motorcycle's you can cut one of the speed sensor wires on the vehicle harness and eliminate this irritant; of course your warranty is out the window.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: GPS Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Herjeff View Post
    I've been using GPS type units way back to Loran era in my vehicles, boats and motorcycles. ... So I was wondering why they zeroed in on the GPS since it's just one of the more useful items in the vehicle yet restricted by some unrealistic safety concern. So back to the question; has anyone got past this moving restriction on the GPS? On Motorcycle's you can cut one of the speed sensor wires on the vehicle harness and eliminate this irritant; of course your warranty is out the window.
    GM must rely on their legal department for advice concerning all safety issues. That is the reason why GM does not enable certain functions while one is driving with either the CUE system and or the previous versions of the NAV screen. Yes, you can theorise all day long "why" or "why not" allow the driver or passenger to work the NAV features but in the real world the driver will still try to do it themselves even if GM were to "enable" the passenger to work the NAV when driving. Unfortunately the real world is full of "SUE CRAZY" lawyers... that is why GM can not allow certain features to work while one is driving.

I am sure there is someone out there that has software that can crack the code to allow the driver to interact with the NAV screen while they are driving. As frustrating as it can be at times, I personally would not try to crack the software so that I could by-pass the built in safety features.

Just my .02

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    GM must rely on their legal department for advice concerning all safety issues. That is the reason why GM does not enable certain functions while one is driving with either the CUE system and or the previous versions of the NAV screen. Yes, you can theorise all day long "why" or "why not" allow the driver or passenger to work the NAV features but in the real world the driver will still try to do it themselves even if GM were to "enable" the passenger to work the NAV when driving. Unfortunately the real world is full of "SEW CRAZY" lawyers... that is why GM can not allow certain features to work while one is driving.

I am sure there is someone out there that has software that can crack the code to allow the driver to interact with the NAV screen while they are driving. As frustrating as it can be at times, I personally would not try to crack the software so that I could by-pass the built in safety features.

Just my .02
    It's SUE, not SEW. Sew is what you do to stitch together clothing. LMAO!

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Ahh yes, thanks for catching and "Highlighting" my misspelled word Steve ... It is great to know that you are "actually" reading my posts.
    stevec5375 and stevec5375 like this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Just so you guys know, there is only ONE automaker (in NA anyway) that allows access to GPS while the vehicle is moving. Mitsubishi.

kiboater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Luxury

Maybe I am missing something here but my 2013 SRX lets you enter a new destination while you are moving after clicking a warning screen. My 2011 Enclave does not allow this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.