Nitrogen in Tires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By quantex
  • 2 Post By greyghost04
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Nitrogen in Tires? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Has anyone had experience with Nitrogen in their tires? I must qualify this question with the fact that NO ONE ...
    warnercc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

Nitrogen in Tires?

Has anyone had experience with Nitrogen in their tires? I must qualify this question with the fact that NO ONE is pushing to sell me this but I was reading an article the other day about this and was wondering if anyone has done it/see's any benefit in it? I always read the comments after I read an article like this (that's where the true story lies) but there was no pure consensus option on the true benefits. It seems reasonable enough ($5 to $10 per tire) but if it doesn't really maintain stable tire pressures then it would be more of a pain to have to fill the tire once every couple of month then it would be worth. I would see no point in topping of with normal air as that would defeat the purpose to begin with. Any opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Re: Nitrogen in Tires?

I used to work for a NASCAR Winston Cup team doing PR. It was my understanding that nitrogen (last I knew, the teams switched to argon) was used because of its predictive properties, not because of 'stable' pressure.
    It was about always having the same properties, ie humidity. Also, I was told that nitrogen acted more predictably at different heats. 'Air' pressure does not change on a truly linear scale with temps. Nitrogen wasnt exactly linear, but closer than regular air.
    So, nitrogen filled tires will still increase in pressure with temperature increase. Its just easier to predict EXACTLY (to, like 1/4 PSI) what the operating pressure will be. Not that it will stay at 35psi through the entire range of operating temperatures.

quantex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Own two 2012 SRX-4 w/o Nav

Air is 78 percent nitrogen. Don't waste your money.
    TheCaptain, TheCaptain and HDI0390 like this.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

Complete scam for passenger cars.
    TheCaptain and TheCaptain like this.

warnercc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

Thanks guys, like I said I had no practical experience nor do I know anyone that had ever done it but the article claimed for stable pressures which prolonged tire life, increased fuel economy, blah, blah, blah. It all sounded good until they said you could top off with normal air, but that would defeat the purposed right there. I will save my money.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Nitrogen molecules are larger and leak more slowly than oxygen. Fill your tires with air and as they slowly leak the oxygen you replenish them with more air. As quickly as you can say Jack Robinson, for all practical purposes, you will have tires filled more with nitrogen than anything else.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Tire places are charging ridiculous amount of money these days to demount and remount / balancing tires and they have scams like this to make more cash.....another example: charging up to 40$ to reprogram the TPMS sensors which take them 30sec with the tool....give me a break....like others said, save your money!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.