SRX fwd in snow - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX fwd in snow in Cadillac SRX Forums; Finally got some snow to try out the '12 SRX AWD w/ the repaired/replaced front to rear drive shaft. The ...
    Softail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx, eldorado

Re: SRX fwd in snow

Finally got some snow to try out the '12 SRX AWD w/ the repaired/replaced front to rear drive shaft. The SRX goes like a tank in the snow, as it was made to do.

Amazing how after the dealer replaced the faulty assembled drive shaft, the AWD responses as excepted in the snow. All of a sudden, we're real happy w/ the SRX again.

Maybe the Mexicans at the factory need another lesson on the driveshaft assembly. How many SRX AWD owners have the same problem, but just think it's normal and a POS in the snow??

Baystater is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparty6174 View Post
    Live in Michigan. Bought a 2011 SRX fwd last fall. Michelin Latitudes on car now. This car is TERRIBLE in the snow! Worse fwd I had ever owned. Any suggestions? I really can't drive this another winter!
    Just bought mine in November and have had two frightening experiences with only a few inches of snow on the ground. Second trip to the dealership today for better tires and hope that solves the problem (have new all weather on now)!

tmw
    tmw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Personally on another vehicle I had those latitudes and hated them when not dry. I keep Goodyear ICE wrt winter tires on my fwd srx and while no michigan snow the snow in Indiana recently I have had zero issues.

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony31188 View Post
    You choose the FWD over the AWD and then complain that it's not good in the snow? SMH.....common sense man.
    THIS, LOL.

Personally, I think FWD is the absolute worst drive arrangement for snow / slippery stuff. If my tires are going to start slipping while I'm driving (especially when taking off from a stop), I'd rather it NOT be the tires I'm trying to STEER with. Yeah, the weight of the engine over the drive wheels helps with traction that provides forward thrust (compared to RWD), but how many people have lost control and wrecked their cars due to their inability to get traction to START MOVING FORWARD??

Yes, we wanted to get an AWD SRX when shopping for one last summer, but AWD was not the top priority due to the fact that where we live AWD is really needed only a handfull of days a year. We "settled" for a FWD SRX knowing full well the limitations of FWD in wet / frozen weather. What may be aggrivating to some owners who feel their FWD SRX "does poorly in snow" is that the front/rear weigh bias is probably not as high on an SRX as it is on most FWD passenger cars, resulting in less of that forward thrust traction they may be used to.

My impression of my wife's FWD SRX is that it feels typical of any FWD vehicle: Decent forward thrust traction to get going, but must use great caution when trying to accelerate on slippery stuff unless the front wheels are pointed straight ahead or else be prepared to go somewhere unintended with no hope of correcting the velocity vector by doing anything other than fully lifting the throttle (and possibly counter steering in hopes of regaining lateral traction at the front wheels so that steering control is recovered). On the slippery stuff, I feel safer in any RWD vehicle than in any FWD vehicle. I may be slower getting off the line at the stop light than other FWD vehicles, but at least I have full control of the direction my RWD vehicle is going and am less likely to collide with someone else.
    allgm and TheCaptain like this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Oh so very true JohnnyBz!

I like how many people blame traction issues of the vehicle on the vehicle.

What touches the ground? What transfers power from the engine/ drivetrain to the road?

Tires. Yea, some tires suck in the snow, and lots of those tires are all seasons. Because all season tires are really NO season tires. Not really good in summer, not really good in the rain, not really good in the snow, not really good in the ice (and ice and snow ARE VERY DIFFERENT for traction characteristics). Issues with traction? Buy different tires.

Unless you have more money than brains, then trade the vehicle off and get something else with probably slightly better tires.

SRX-MTL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

I have a FWD 2013 SRX and the same snow tires than The Captain (Blizzak DM-V1) and I have no regrets to have not taken AWD. I have an excellent traction on snow and ice.

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

I like the Michelin x-ice tires. I have had 2 sets and they last way longer than any other snow/ice tires. They are also amazingly quiet.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

I drove a FWD 'XTS as a loaner recently. Had 4" of snow, and couldn't get up my gently sloped driveway to the garage! Those are riding Goodyear Eagle RS-A, and go look at the survey results for that on ice/snow at tirerack.com. Literally the worst I've ever seen.

The stock Michelin on the SRX seem to actually be pretty decent as all-season radials go --look at the surveys there too.

Having said that, nothing does snow/ice like tires designed for it. It's not just tread design, it's materials composition too.

Me, I have an AWD SRX with Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE w/wrt for winter. . . best combination for snow/ice it has ever been my pleasure to drive (tho no doubt Mich X-ice or Blizzaks or Nokian would do very well too).
    TheCaptain likes this.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

FWD is excellent in snow but they are limited by your selection of tires you opt. for. The tall wide tires are no good on a daily driver.

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I had a 2011 srx with 18 inch wheels and bought a set of Bridgestone ice and snow tires for it. It was like a tank in the snow. Now I have a 2013 srx that came with 20 inch wheels. My 18 inch wheels fit and it is great in the snow.

463 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX AWD 3.0L Premium caribbean blue

Till you shut the Traction and StabiliTrak off see Driving and Operating page 8-35. That's when the srx shines.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel View Post
    My 2012 is my first AWD car ... I'm in Ottawa Ontario and have quite a lot of snow here (and way too cold also.. and I have been amazed on how the car perform in heavy snow.....impossible to make the wheels spin on a start (well almost!) .I was debating over spending the extra $$$ for AWD...I have no regret now....I never tried the FWD but I have read mixed reviews ... Some people like ...some don't.....it is true good snow tires makes a difference....and knew I wanted to stick with 18inch for that reason...

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Also, Toyo has a 20" winter tire in 235/55/20, only 7.5" wide (compared to 8" stock). Toyo Winter 20" tire
    Has anyone here actually tried those 20" Toyo's on an SRX in the snow? Just curious how they compare to the best of the others. . . personally, Toyo is not a name that leaps to mind when I think of snow tires. But that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't any good.

I got 18" because I knew I wanted snow tires, wanted to have a decent array of choices to buy, and didn't want the extra expense of having to own two sets of rims (not really extra hassle since my tire guy would store them too just like he does my off-season set).

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

And to think, they put RSAs on police cars and PPV tahoes. They are just not safe.
    georule likes this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

I know, you would be surprised at the number of police vehicles flipped over or in the ditch still wearing those tires.
    The good news is, the RCMP usually put winter tires on their cars in winter. (at least around here they do)

zwiefela is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

The only thing we don't like about our fwd SRX in the snow is how touchy the traction control is. When you're used to driving vehicles with out it, it catches you off guard when it kicks in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.