SRX fwd in snow - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX fwd in snow in Cadillac SRX Forums; Took our 2012 SRX AWD to the dealer today to determine if the AWD wasn't working, or if it is ...
    Softail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx, eldorado

Re: SRX fwd in snow

Took our 2012 SRX AWD to the dealer today to determine if the AWD wasn't working, or if it is just a POS in the snow and ready for a trade in w/ 11K miles.

The dealer found it hard to believe the AWD wouldn't go in the snow and never heard of such a problem w/ a SRX, but was good enough to take it for a ride to be shocked to find out we were right.

After putting it on the rack, the mechanic found the drive shaft from the front gear box to the rear axle was broken. Basically, the rear wheels were never enabled when the AWD kicked in making the AWD a FWD. The driveshaft wasn't broken in two pieces, but was slipping inside itself and not driving the rear wheels in the AWD mode. Sounds to me like it wasn't assembled properly at the factory, and the dealer's service dept. wouldn't admit to a factory recall issue.

The dealer ordered a new drive shaft from "down south" and will have it installed in a day or two.

It was refreshing to have the dealer actually diagnose the problem without a battle, and maybe there is still hope for this SRX in the snow.

I'll post back once repaired.

TheCaptain is online now Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Ahem. 2010 SRX AWD with SNOW TIRES.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/7q_AQknfsUw
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/tjBfNf3tEFE
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/7gJM5znYRRk

If you're going to play in the snow, do it with the right tires. They make the biggest difference in your driving experience. The stockers are all season tires which are pretty much NO Season tires. (not that good in rain, snow, dry, and ESPECIALLY NOT ICE!)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    ... If you're going to play in the snow, do it with the right tires. They make the biggest difference in your driving experience. The stockers are all season tires which are pretty much NO Season tires. (not that good in rain, snow, dry, and ESPECIALLY NOT ICE!)
    Captain here is a email I just got from the Canadian guy who bought my 2012 SRX back in October 2012. He talks about snow tires and great gas milage too.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Buyer
    Hi Marc,

The SRX is working great. I have driven over 10,000 miles and was in for the free oil change and was very pleased with the service at Keyser.
    With Blizzak winter tires it goes good in snow and the gas mileage is the same as my G8 which is way better than expected.

Best regards,
    Eric
    Sent from my iPhone

Right on! Play with the big boys or stay in the garage!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

bowker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Softail,

Any news to report? Just completed some MN winter driving in my 2012 SRX FWD and this car sucks in the snow. Having driven in MN winters for 25 years, spare me the snow tire speech...I get that. But, this car is unsafe it loses control switching lanes thru slush at 50mph. Grandmothers were passing me...

Bowker,

Your 2012 SRX sounds just like my SRX AWD, it completely sucks in the snow. If yours is a FWD, my broken drive shaft issue doesn't apply to your FWD because yours doesn't have a drive shaft to the rear axle.

The drive shaft from the front gear box to the rear axle was broken, not broken in half, but spinning within itself. The dealer replaced the failed drive shaft.

This should make a huge difference in the snow, but it hasn't snowed since the repair.

I'll post when we get some snow.

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I have a 2011 AWD luxury model and I put on a set of Bridestone Blizzark Tires. The traction is like a TANK.

caddyshac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Softail
    Took our 2012 SRX AWD to the dealer today to determine if the AWD wasn't working, or if it is just a POS in the snow and ready for a trade in w/ 11K miles.

The dealer found it hard to believe the AWD wouldn't go in the snow and never heard of such a problem w/ a SRX, but was good enough to take it for a ride to be shocked to find out we were right.

After putting it on the rack, the mechanic found the drive shaft from the front gear box to the rear axle was broken. Basically, the rear wheels were never enabled when the AWD kicked in making the AWD a FWD. The driveshaft wasn't broken in two pieces, but was slipping inside itself and not driving the rear wheels in the AWD mode. Sounds to me like it wasn't assembled properly at the factory, and the dealer's service dept. wouldn't admit to a factory recall issue.

The dealer ordered a new drive shaft from "down south" and will have it installed in a day or two.

It was refreshing to have the dealer actually diagnose the problem without a battle, and maybe there is still hope for this SRX in the snow.

I'll post back once repaired.
    That's what happens when they build them in Mexico.

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by e004698 View Post
    Good Readers. I have a 2010 AWD that is usually good in the snow, but on two occasions I have had it back to the dealer because the traction control was not working AND there was no dash indication lamp that it was not working. Twice they have fixed it for this: "TEST DROVE WITH CUSTOMER. STABILITRACK NOT ENGAGING ON SNOWY SURFACE. NO LIGHTS ON. NO STORED FAULTS. FOUND BRAKE POSITION SENSOR NOT LEARNED DURING FULL SCAN. RELEARNED POSITION AND TEST DROVE.OPERATING OK AT THIS TIME. " If this can happen on AWD, it can happen on FWD. I believe it is the loss of traction feature which is causing problems. My AWD was terrible when I lost the traction and you don't get a warning lamp for this failure mode. Try it!
    e004698, thanks so much for posting this information. We live in Florida, so obviously snow isn't a problem. However, I was insistent on purchasing the AWD for my wife's SRX for the rain and dry pavement handling benefits, and also the assurance we could take it anywhere we wanted. After seeing that the AWD could be non-functioning and without any indications, I am disappointed at best that I don't have the certainty it is working. I can't imagine that anyone with an SRX who does live in an area with ice and snow 'might' be in danger instead of secure that it will handle properly. Surely, just the fact that there are no indications when the AWD isn't working is sufficient cause for a recall.

The happenings to one or two vehicles when 500 000 are sold is not cause enough to warrant a recall. Recalls are for issues relating to driver safety that affect more than 8-10% of vehicles sold.
    Otherwise fix its are released as TSB's. (Technical Service Bulletin's) Of which again, two in half a million vehicles is not enough to warrant issuing a TSB.

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    The happenings to one or two vehicles when 500 000 are sold is not cause enough to warrant a recall. Recalls are for issues relating to driver safety that affect more than 8-10% of vehicles sold.
    Otherwise fix its are released as TSB's. (Technical Service Bulletin's) Of which again, two in half a million vehicles is not enough to warrant issuing a TSB.
    Captain,
    With no indications, how do you know the number of vehicles affected? There could be folks seriously injured as a result of this problem, and no one ever know...unless, until a lot of people get hurt.

Anthony31188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 AWD

You choose the FWD over the AWD and then complain that it's not good in the snow? SMH.....common sense man.

Quote Originally Posted by caddyshac View Post
    That's what happens when they build them in Mexico.
    Bingo.

Sparty6174 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Thanks to all who gave me some positive feedback. I have driven through the ice and snow in Michigan for almost 50 years, so I know the value of snow tires! My wife's cars have always been FWD and we never had problems! So, when buying my pre-owned SRX, I never gave AWD a second thought! I couldn't believe how bad this car was! I finally put on a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks - big difference! It now responds like my FWD Pontiacs and Chevys have in the past. Of course now that I have my winter tires, it means the no more snow! Thanks again!

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

The Gen 1 AWD SRX was a beast in the snow, had great clearance, decent all season tires. I could go right through 1 ft drifts that the plows would push up.

Haven't had any snow for my Gen 2 SRX to go up against. Since it's a bit lower I would assume it would be less capable, I think 50% of snow performance is just not getting the front end hung up and plowing up snow in front of the vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.