SRX fwd in snow - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX fwd in snow in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Softail Sparty, Be glad you saved the money and didn't buy the AWD. The wife's 2012 AWD ...
    allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Re: SRX fwd in snow

Quote Originally Posted by Softail View Post
    Sparty, Be glad you saved the money and didn't buy the AWD. The wife's 2012 AWD SRX sucks in the snow. She bitched a few times about how bad it was in the snow and I didn't believe her until I tried it in the snow. I hate to agree with her, but it is disappointingly awful. Truthfully, I can't believe it's as bad as it is, there has to be something wrong. We need to take it back to the dealer to verify the AWD, maybe there's computer issue or maybe they forgot to install the AWD. The kids Honda CRV AWDs will go anywhere in the snow, a day/night difference to the SRX.
    What size tires does your wife have 18 or 20's . I have 20's FWD and my friend has 18's FWD. When it snows we take his SRX.
    Big difference.

quantex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Own two 2012 SRX-4 w/o Nav

Quote Originally Posted by allgm View Post
    What size tires does your wife have 18 or 20's . I have 20's FWD and my friend has 18's FWD. When it snows we take his SRX.
    Big difference.
    True. Smaller tires perform better in the snow. There is more room in the wheel wells to accomodate the additional snow. Although the 20s look fantastic.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

They don't make snow tires in my size 20" tires, Any way if it snows that much I'll stay home. My next SRX will be AWD .
    I am "thinking" of buying an AWD SRX the next time around also.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

The outside diameter of the two wheel sizes doesn't change. Just the rim and sidewall size changes.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

[Qt
    UOTE=TheCaptain;3212392]The outside diameter of the two wheel sizes doesn't change. Just the rim and sidewall size changes.[/QUOTE]

True But the 20's are lower profile fatter and wider you are pushing the snow like a snow plow. Bigger foot print not always better.

Its all good. Just pony up the extra cash for the SRX-4. Plus having that 4 on the back badging is so choice.

True But the 20's are lower profile fatter and wider you are pushing the snow like a snow plow. Bigger foot print not always better.
    Sorry allgm, i have to correct you again. Both tires are the same width as well.
    Here is a tire size comparison between the 20's and 18's. The 18 is the coloured tire, and the 20 is the outline which pretty much is filled in by the colour from the 18.

Also, Toyo has a 20" winter tire in 235/55/20, only 7.5" wide (compared to 8" stock). Toyo Winter 20" tire
    allgm and allgm like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

Softail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx, eldorado

Maybe the tires are the only issue, she has 20'' Michelin Latitudes and the car is terrible in the snow. It's so bad, it's hard to believe it's just the tires.

What tires are working in the snow on a SRX?? Any recommendations?

I know the Latitudes were ok the first winter on an AWD SRX, but with our snow/ice, I went with a dedicated snow tire. 235/65/18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. Amazing in the snow and ice!

hedo47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): xlr,srx

Sparty, Be glad you saved the money and didn't buy the AWD. The wife's 2012 AWD SRX sucks in the snow. She bitched a few times about how bad it was in the snow and I didn't believe her until I tried it in the snow. I hate to agree with her, but it is disappointingly awful. Truthfully, I can't believe it's as bad as it is, there has to be something wrong. We need to take it back to the dealer to verify the AWD, maybe there's computer issue or maybe they forgot to install the AWD. The kids Honda CRV AWDs will go anywhere in the snow, a day/night difference to the SRX.
    Just, bought 2011 awd srx, 18 inch tires, will not go in snow. Wife took the old honda crv and didnt spin a tire. Small width tires and less weight must be the difference. The srx was so bad I am taking it to the dealer in hopes somethhing is wrong. We have a xlr for the summer, dont need another for show only vehicle

e004698 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4

Good Readers. I have a 2010 AWD that is usually good in the snow, but on two occasions I have had it back to the dealer because the traction control was not working AND there was no dash indication lamp that it was not working. Twice they have fixed it for this: "TEST DROVE WITH CUSTOMER. STABILITRACK NOT ENGAGING ON SNOWY SURFACE. NO LIGHTS ON. NO STORED FAULTS. FOUND BRAKE POSITION SENSOR NOT LEARNED DURING FULL SCAN. RELEARNED POSITION AND TEST DROVE.OPERATING OK AT THIS TIME. " If this can happen on AWD, it can happen on FWD. I believe it is the loss of traction feature which is causing problems. My AWD was terrible when I lost the traction and you don't get a warning lamp for this failure mode. Try it!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

E004698, thank you for sharing your experience! I was sorry to see other owners on this thread have been been frustrated dealing with your SRXs in the snow. So, I will be documenting this thread in a place where the proper GM teams can view your feedback. If you would like me to assist in investigate your specific concerns, please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by e004698
    Good Readers. I have a 2010 AWD that is usually good in the snow, but on two occasions I have had it back to the dealer because the traction control was not working AND there was no dash indication lamp that it was not working. Twice they have fixed it for this: "TEST DROVE WITH CUSTOMER. STABILITRACK NOT ENGAGING ON SNOWY SURFACE. NO LIGHTS ON. NO STORED FAULTS. FOUND BRAKE POSITION SENSOR NOT LEARNED DURING FULL SCAN. RELEARNED POSITION AND TEST DROVE.OPERATING OK AT THIS TIME. " If this can happen on AWD, it can happen on FWD. I believe it is the loss of traction feature which is causing problems. My AWD was terrible when I lost the traction and you don't get a warning lamp for this failure mode. Try it!
    Thanks for the great info.... This is good to know!

e004698 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4

I think you may have the same problem I had with my 2010 SRX4. The problem, which I have written about before, is that traction control is not operational and dash lamp is not informing you about the condition. I have had this to my dealer twice. The tech drove the car and conformed my diagnosis of no traction. The cause is "BRAKE POSITION SENSOR LOST CALIBRATION. BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDAL AJUSTER POSISTION SENSOR REPLACED." Because you don't get a warning lamp, there is no way to know you've lost the traction control, except for the reduced performance. Strongly recommend you have dealer check this out. Also, if you never see the traction light come on in slippery conditions, ggod bet traction inoperable. This explanation, in my opinion, would apply to all I have read regarding AWD and FWD...loss of traction could be the culprit.

SRX4 rocks in the snow. Plain and simple.
    TheCaptain, TheCaptain and georule like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.