Interesting keyless start article
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Interesting keyless start article in Cadillac SRX Forums; http://articles.ky3.com/2013-01-23/k...entry_36511769 Something near this mall apparently is disrupting signals from key fobs on push button start vehicles. The thing I ...
    carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Interesting keyless start article

http://articles.ky3.com/2013-01-23/k...entry_36511769

Something near this mall apparently is disrupting signals from key fobs on push button start vehicles. The thing I noticed was that it says most of them are AWD SRXs. Apparently no one knows that they can just remove the key from the fob, put it in the door to get in, then put it in the center console to start it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Interesting keyless start article

Yes and 8 out of 10 stolen cars are the passive systems. I will not buy a push start vehicle.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by carbeck View Post
    http://articles.ky3.com/2013-01-23/k...entry_36511769

Something near this mall apparently is disrupting signals from key fobs on push button start vehicles. The thing I noticed was that it says most of them are AWD SRXs. Apparently no one knows that they can just remove the key from the fob, put it in the door to get in, then put it in the center console to start it?
    How exactly do you start the car with the key. I've been looking in the owner's manual and see nothing about starting the car using anything but the pushbutton. In fact, its says "This key, located inside the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter,
    is used for the driver door and glove box." What am I missing?

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by redvett94 View Post
    Yes and 8 out of 10 stolen cars are the passive systems. I will not buy a push start vehicle.
    Then I guess you are hanging around in the wrong car forum if you say would not buy a push start vehicle.

As far as worring about getting ones vehicle stolen I am not overly concerned... that is one reason why I have car insurance.
    HDI0390 likes this.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I previously had a 2008 CTS4 and it WAS stolen, the vehicle was stolen on not broken into or damaged as far as the body or mechanicals. Police tell me it was electronically hijacked. I came out of a resturant and had no car, i needed a ride home and had to deal with the insurance company for months. The final end came when i received my payoff with a loss on my part. Two days later the car showed up on a report and the insurance company wanted their money back but i had already bought a new Buick Enclave.
    As for your remark thats what your insurance is for you better wake up that your paying a higher premum for the passive pushbutton system.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    Then I guess you are hanging around in the wrong car forum if you say would not buy a push start vehicle.

As far as worring about getting ones vehicle stolen I am not overly concerned... that is one reason why I have car insurance.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Sorry to hear your vehicle was stolen. I do understand that nobody wants to go through all that hassle with a stolen vehicle.

I know that insurance rates can and will reflect many varlng factors. I drive a vehicle that I enjoy and honestly I don't really concern myself whether or not I pay $17.00 more a year for a vehicle that I truly enjoy owning than I pay for my wife's GMC Terrain which of course doesn't have the push button start.

Just my .02

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    How exactly do you start the car with the key. I've been looking in the owner's manual and see nothing about starting the car using anything but the pushbutton. In fact, its says "This key, located inside the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter,
    is used for the driver door and glove box." What am I missing?
    There is a specially designed compartment in the center console for the placement of the fob (not the key from the fob) that is used to start the car, for situations such as the fob battery being dead. The key would be used to open the door to gain access to the center console.

Whistlingdixiee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance, Glacier Blue

I'm interested to know exactly what will happen if the key fob stops working. I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    with a push button start. Occasionally, the car would not recognize the key fob and you couldn't start the car.
    We would get it fixed and then the same thing would happen again. Gremlins I suppose ... A Chrysler mechanic
    told us there was a key inside the fob and if you jimmied off the start button you could insert the key and start
    the car. It worked. Can you do the same with the SRX? Does the key inside the fob start the car manually,
    somehow? I hate to say this, but electronic key fobs DO break, and you can be stranded. I would like to be able
    to start the car with a key if I had to...I just got my 2013 SRX and having a push button start made me nervous
    because of my previous experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistlingdixiee View Post
    I'm interested to know exactly what will happen if the key fob stops working. I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    with a push button start. Occasionally, the car would not recognize the key fob and you couldn't start the car.
    We would get it fixed and then the same thing would happen again. Gremlins I suppose ... A Chrysler mechanic
    told us there was a key inside the fob and if you jimmied off the start button you could insert the key and start
    the car. It worked. Can you do the same with the SRX? Does the key inside the fob start the car manually,
    somehow? I hate to say this, but electronic key fobs DO break, and you can be stranded. I would like to be able
    to start the car with a key if I had to...I just got my 2013 SRX and having a push button start made me nervous
    because of my previous experience.
    The compartment in the center console allows for the fob to be essentially 'plugged' into the car. This circumvents the wireless communications, so any problems due a dead battery or malfunction in the wireless connection is bypassed. It effectively becomes the same as a key with a 'chip' in the plastic head that many of us are accustomed to. If the 'chip' was somehow disabled or became defective, a car with that type of key still wouldn't start. I would have to believe that the problem with your Jeep was related to the wireless communication and that Cadillac eliminated this problem by providing a way to 'plug' in the fob.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's from a 2011 SRX owners manual, but it should say the same in all 2010+ SRXs
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by beachcad View Post
    The compartment in the center console allows for the fob to be essentially 'plugged' into the car. This circumvents the wireless communications, so any problems due a dead battery or malfunction in the wireless connection is bypassed. It effectively becomes the same as a key with a 'chip' in the plastic head that many of us are accustomed to. If the 'chip' was somehow disabled or became defective, a car with that type of key still wouldn't start. I would have to believe that the problem with your Jeep was related to the wireless communication and that Cadillac eliminated this problem by providing a way to 'plug' in the fob.

Thank you for answering me, beachcad. I can't help but feel a little dubious about the key fob. It is a sickening feeling to be stranded and have no way to start your car. I feel like I want to actually see plugging in the fob and then having the
    car start...but I don't want to be in the situation to actually HAVE to do it. I guess, I want to test it out! LOL But without
    the fob being faulty, it wouldn't be a true test... By the way, we got rid of that 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee because of
    the key fob malfunction and a MYRIAD of other problems with, what should have been, our dream car. We initially bought a
    Terrain and then traded up to the 2013 SRX a little over a week ago. I love it, I'm just a little worried about the keyless
    start.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you could take the battery out of the fob to do the test
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by Whistlingdixiee View Post
    Thank you for answering me, beachcad. I can't help but feel a little dubious about the key fob. It is a sickening feeling to be stranded and have no way to start your car. I feel like I want to actually see plugging in the fob and then having the
    car start...but I don't want to be in the situation to actually HAVE to do it. I guess, I want to test it out! LOL But without
    the fob being faulty, it wouldn't be a true test... By the way, we got rid of that 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee because of
    the key fob malfunction and a MYRIAD of other problems with, what should have been, our dream car. We initially bought a
    Terrain and then traded up to the 2013 SRX a little over a week ago. I love it, I'm just a little worried about the keyless
    start.
    I understand and share your concerns. This is my wife's car and one of the first things I explained to her was about this scenario and how to use the console for the fob. I was very glad to see that Cadillac provided this solution. I have rented cars with keyless start that required the fob to be inserted into a slot in the dash. This was another way of eliminating a problem with a low battery in the fob. You know, even before the days of 'chips in keys' or fobs, there were occasions of ignition switch failures. Nothing is going to be failsafe! I will say that I have never had a failure with a key 'chip', and I believe a fob failure should be no different, except for the wireless aspects due to a low battery or some other interference.

Quote Originally Posted by beachcad View Post
    I understand and share your concerns. This is my wife's car and one of the first things I explained to her was about this scenario and how to use the console for the fob. I was very glad to see that Cadillac provided this solution. I have rented cars with keyless start that required the fob to be inserted into a slot in the dash. This was another way of eliminating a problem with a low battery in the fob. You know, even before the days of 'chips in keys' or fobs, there were occasions of ignition switch failures. Nothing is going to be failsafe! I will say that I have never had a failure with a key 'chip', and I believe a fob failure should be no different, except for the wireless aspects due to a low battery or some other interference.
    I am the wife! LOL My husband still gets upset when I bring up any concerns about the key fob, remembering the Jeep. I am still a little worried that the fob won't work when plugged into the console if there is an issue with detecting the vehicle. In the manual, it describes using the console plug in for a low battery on the fob. What if the fob isn't recognized by the
    vehicle? I hope that by plugging the fob in to the console it will still start. If I remove the batteries from the fob, will I
    have to re-program the fob? If so, I don't want to take it that far just to test it. I guess that short of losing the fob itself, I want reassurance that the car will still start no matter what happens to the fob....Probably, not going to happen

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

If you have OnStar then you should be able to get your doors unlocked without the FOB or if you lost the key out of the FOB. I'm not sure if OnStar can remote start the car or if you can use your OnStar smartphone app. But if you car gets stolen, OnStar can deactivate it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.