13 srx subwoofer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 13 srx subwoofer in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I am really enjoying the new SRX. This is my first Cadillac. I have a quick question for all ...
    Orange 5814 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX4

13 srx subwoofer

So I am really enjoying the new SRX. This is my first Cadillac. I have a quick question for all of you audiophiles out there. I have noticed that the sub seems to sound distorted even at low volumes. I have the audio pilot set to on. I have the base and midrange tone controls at the default setting. The treble is up a few notches. When I listen to the stereo at moderate, not loud, volumes the sub appears to "bottom out" or distort. It doesn't get worse when you turn up the volume, it just sounds disconcerting. The car is only three weeks old, and used by my wife. I am 100% confident that she did not blow the sub. Everything else sounds great, it just the mid-bass frequencies that seem to give the system problems. Again, this is with pop, top 40, adult contemporary type music; not rap or techno. I am an audio geek myself and have a very high end home system, so I know that I may be a more critical listener than most, however something doesn't seem quite right. As an audio geek, I am not generally a fan Bose. Am I just being pick? Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Re: 13 srx subwoofer

Since no one has responded I will. I certainly do not consider myself an audiophile, but I have not noticed the distortion you are describing. I like a lot of bass and have it adjusted full on. I do get some distortion on songs with a lot of bass at high volume, but nothing like you are experiencing. I suspect that there is something wrong with your sub-woofer, or possibly, the amp. I'd suggest you have the dealer look at it. While there, you might take a listen to another SRX with the same setup to see if it also distorts.

You didn't say which stereo system you have. The Standard and Luxury models come with an 8 speaker system, the Performance and Premium come with a 10 speaker 5.1 surround sound system. This system is optional in the Luxury. It is the system I have in my Luxury model. Don't know much about the 8 speaker system. Not even sure if it has a sub-woofer or not. When I purchased my SRX, I listened to both systems and the 10 speaker 5.1 one sound better to me, so I opted for a vehicle wit the upgraded sound system with Nav. Personally, I'm quite happy with it.

Hope you find this helpful.

Phil

Orange 5814 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX4
    Phil. Thank you. I am going to take your advice and listen to another SRX. I have a lux with Nav, so I have the 10 speaker system. I do appreciate your response and I will let you know how things turn out.

Thank you again,

Scott.

Denny41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX-AWD. 2012 SRX Performance AWD

I have to agree with Phil. I have the 10 speaker system with Nav. and have not experienced the problem you are having. I do not consider myself a true audiophile but have considerable knowledge in the field and for many years have had near hi-end equipment for my entertainment systems in the home. The Bose system is not the greatest available for automotive applications, but at least in my SRX, it produces a clean and undistorted sound at various sound levels.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The Bose system is not the greatest available for automotive applications, but at least in my SRX, it produces a clean and undistorted sound at various sound levels.
    Wish Cadillac would move away from Bose. There are really better audio systems out there used by other car manufacturers.

The popularity of Bose purely rests on its name and the amount of money the company spends to promote that name. Their speakers and other products (including headphones) are grossly overpriced.

People see the name Bose and they think, "Wow, I am getting a premium audio system from a well-known company." Anyone that is an audiophile and really knows speakers will tell you that Bose is probably one of the worst choices you can make in every case.

I remember owning an Acura RX back in 2007. They had a Panasonic audio system in that vehicle that blew the doors off anything Bose has put in Cadillac.

As far as the subwoofer is concerned, it's actually a little better in the 2013 than it was in the 2010. However, I had a $150-$200 enclosed subwoofer that I bought for my 2010 vehicle that I am using in my 2013 vehicle. The standard SRX subwoofers still don't have enough "oomph" for those that like their bass. The only problem with an enclosed subwoofer, of course, is that it takes up valuable cargo space in the rear.

Oh...btw...never demo the quality of your vehicle's sound by listening to satellite radio. Satellite radio may be distortion-free, but the bitrate is so low that music generally will always sound distorted at high levels. You certainly don't get anything close to CD quality audio with SiriusXM.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Actually, with XM, it matters which channel you are listening to. True, many of them are substandard to CD quality, but they have (or had) a proprietary CODEC that got very close. Sirius, because of their model, had less bandwidth because they went for quantity (of channels) over quality.
    I havent dug into it in many years, but know there is very much a difference between the two.

Huey,

The only channels I understand have better codec are the classical channels (and perhaps) Pop Stations (20on20 and Hits1)

Are you aware of any others?

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Nope, you hit them there. I took a tour of the XM building ten years ago or so, they mentioned that stuff, but I cant recall much of the conversation now... :-)
    I just knew that they had the capability to allocate bandwidth, on the fly, to various channels. They put most of the quality into classical, etc... And mega-compression on talk, etc. I could be completely wrong, but I thought I remembered hearing (way back when) that Sirius chose to allocate evenly.
    I also believe, tho, that the receiver, decoder, amplifier etc can affect audio quality as much as anything.
    I know I still have a study that was done of XM at home, I'll see if it has enough interesting to todays tech.
    Quite literally, tho, the only similarity between sirius and XM was they use satellites. From the orbits (geo-stationary for XM, inclined geo-synchronous for sirius) right down to business model, they couldnt be any different....

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I am a fan of great sound and don't have the distortion problem that you have in your SRX and I like a lot of bass. I've got the bass almost all the way up, midrange right in the middle and treble up 2 notches. I've never heard any distortion. I like music from the 70s. My guess is that there is something wrong with your sound system.

I rarely use XM because the sound quality is so bad. I do use CDs and an SD card for my music and I'm happy with the quality of sound from those sources.

I had XM years ago before they added so many channels. In those days it was CD quality sound. I still remember went they when to low bit rate and complained but they didn't care. Most people don't care about sound quality or XM wouldn't be as successful as they are.

Jeff,

You have a great memory.

I was with XM from day one. Indeed, back then, the audio was CD quality.

There are many things I don't like about satellite radio from the lousy bitrate quality to the countless promotions (which are really commercials) and DJs talking all over the music. If it were just a high-quality music service with no DJs it would be perfect. As it is, SiriusXM is paid FM radio.

I also had the chance to tour the building many years ago. Their room filled with servers is quite impressive.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

If you think Bose is bad, try Alpine. My other car has an Alpine "Premium system" and it is vastly inferior to the Bose system in the SRX. I have upgraded some of the speakers in it and added a new sub-woofer. Alpine is a mere shadow of what it once was.

Phil

Alpine is a mere shadow of what it once was.
    Very disturbing to hear. Growing up in the 70's and 80's Alpine was considered the best car speakers you could buy.

Shame that name no longer means anything close to what it did.

doug goldberg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I wish that CUE would allow the playback of FLAC on other high quality CODEC's. Does anyone know if what the max bitrate / bit depth that wav files are supported?

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have used wav files created from CDs and they work and sound fine. Album artwork will display from Wav files if present.

excelon72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black,CUE,NAV

From my 15 years in the auto business to over 20 as a die hard audiophile I assure you tht the Bose and alpine systems are not even close to being either. They are designed at a manufacturer specified price point using materials substandard to actual Bose and alpine . I have a set if 900.00 alpine car speakers , that cost more than my nav and Bose upgrade. And sound like it too. I find the Bose 10 speaker system to be surprisingly good for a factory system . I am however ripping it out in favor of an all JL Audio add on to the CUE system which I love. My 2013 srx has impressed me in many ways but the Bose speaker system while better than most is no match for even an entry level aftermarket system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.