Starting vehicle from my desk
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Starting vehicle from my desk in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi Everyone! So it's freezing in Chicago!!! I don't have a fancy phone so I can't download the app that ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Starting vehicle from my desk

Hi Everyone!

So it's freezing in Chicago!!! I don't have a fancy phone so I can't download the app that allows you to start your car from anywhere ( we all know the sucky range of 4 parking spaces for the remote start, boo!!!! ). My friend was telling me that I should be able to download something to my computer at my desk so I can still utilize the auto start just as if I had an app on my phone. Can anyone help me out and tell me where to find this link and how to get it set up? I think I need the VIN # for this.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: Starting vehicle from my desk

After reading your question I thought that I would call the Cadillac 1-800 number again today to also ask a few other questions too. First, I wanted to ask about your question. The guy that I was referred to was very nice and knowledgeable. I customised your story and told him that you were my wife who wanted to know if she could download a program onto her computer because she didn't have a smart phone with Internet capabilities. He proceeded to tell me that there is no official OnStar computer program that can remotely start the SRX. However, he told me there may be a couple of options. One, he said he has heard that you can do a search on-line for a "unofficial" website that has a software prgoram that you can use to remotely start your SRX. Two; you could also purchase an iPad with Internet service and then download the myCadillac app and OnStar app to use to remotely start your SRX.

Next I asked him about the status of the myCadillac app that is missing the ability to register the 2013 SRX. He said he believes that the company that designs the apps for GM will have an updated version soon. I told him it was obvious that Cadillac didn't design it for they would not have forgotten about the 2013 SRX. lol

Next I asked him about the small issue I am having with my iPhone 5. My contacts are there and I can receive calls with the CUE identifying the incoming call with name ID but when I try to call out with using the Call Name and cell # it doesn't recognize the name I speak out. He told me that it was an Apple issue with the newer iPhone 5 because the 4s & 4 supposedly works fine. Apple should be correcting the problem with the iPhone 5 hopefully very soon too.

Next I asked him about what methods were there to get new CUE updates. He told me there have already been two small bug fixes that have automatically come through your Onstar and were installed while the vehicle was running.. I asked why I wasn't notified of those updates. He said they only notify the customer if they were adding the ability to download new apps or improve and or expand the Bluetooth capabilities into the CUE system or when there is a new or major software update that becomes available.

It is my understanding that future updates will be made available to download off a computer and then loaded onto a USB device and then could be installed into the CUE.

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2
    Hi Everyone!

So it's freezing in Chicago!!! I don't have a fancy phone so I can't download the app that allows you to start your car from anywhere ( we all know the sucky range of 4 parking spaces for the remote start, boo!!!! ). My friend was telling me that I should be able to download something to my computer at my desk so I can still utilize the auto start just as if I had an app on my phone. Can anyone help me out and tell me where to find this link and how to get it set up? I think I need the VIN # for this.

Thanks!!
    I personally have downloaded the onstar Remotelink app to my iPod that I carry in the office...I remote start the car over wifi from the office that way.....I'm in the Ottawa area and we have our share if cold weather too so I know what you mean!

2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post

Next I asked him about the small issue I am having with my iPhone 5. My contacts are there and I can receive calls with the CUE identifying the incoming call with name ID but when I try to call out with using the Call Name and cell # it doesn't recognize the name I speak out. He told me that it was an Apple issue with the newer iPhone 5 because the 4s & 4 supposedly works fine. Apple should be correcting the problem with the iPhone 5 hopefully very soon too.
    Realizing you have a 2013 with CUE, I may be off topic but voice dialing works perfectly with my iPhone 5 and 2011 SRX. I press the steering wheel button, say "Bluetooth", then say "Voice" and then wait about 4 or 5 seconds to hear my iPhone make a "ping" sound, then I can speak the name and the iPhone 5 places the call. Point is, it may not be the iPhone 5, it may be the exact words required to make CUE interact with the iPhone 5. Good luck!

Mark NY - Aw happy to be your cyber wife for the day! LOL! Thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that! I was swamped yesterday but I did take afew minutes to try to find something, my best guess was maybe there was something thru onstar that I could use but again just didn't have much time. I went out to my car 2x to start it and just let it run/shut off on it's own. I just hate to leave it sitting out when it's only a high of 4 degrees F. I'm born and raised in canada, so I know much colder weather but again, we used to plug our cars in so worrying about it starting wasn't much of a concern with the old block heater/interior car warmer! ah, yes, fond memories of those frigid canadian winters on the prairies!
    So, my next question is where do I find an "unofficial" site that I can use for this purpose?

Thanks again!!!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel View Post
    I personally have downloaded the onstar Remotelink app to my iPod that I carry in the office...I remote start the car over wifi from the office that way.....I'm in the Ottawa area and we have our share if cold weather too so I know what you mean!
    So I have 2 ipods but they are small ones....I'm clearly NOT up on technology, heck, I still have a razor phone....I know, I know, working to get into an iphone 4 thru verizon. Until then.....I do have internet on my work computer so I have that...so if I have an older ipod, not an ipod touch, just regular small one, do I need to download something from itunes for the app? I dont think it will work by the sounds of it...I'm guessing you need some type of ipod touch to select the icon? Sorry....I'm sure I'm annoying with these questions. I always used to give my parents a hard time for not being cool and knowing how to work stuff...now I'm in that boat of not knowing....ugh....
    Thanks as always to my fellow cadi owners for your help!
    You all are the best!

marks31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, Premium AWD

This looks like it might be the website:

http://www.bluestacks.com/

I found some reference to this working with the OnStar remote app on a Chevy Cruze forum. It looks like it supports either a PC or MAC platform but I have not tried it.

I hope this helps,

Mark

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Hi caddigirl, yes you need an iPod touch - works also with ipad.

Mark, thx for the pointer on the desktop app...I was interested about that as well...I will give this a try one of these days.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Yeah, Mark has got it... Its an emulator. I just installed it and it ran remotelink fine, at least to the point that I was able to retrieve latest info (gas, oil, etc)....
    Pretty neat. I just cant figure out how to rotate the screen... :-)
    Looks exactly like my android phone...

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by marks31 View Post
    This looks like it might be the website:

http://www.bluestacks.com/

I found some reference to this working with the OnStar remote app on a Chevy Cruze forum. It looks like it supports either a PC or MAC platform but I have not tried it.

I hope this helps,

Mark
    Yes Mark that does look like it should work.

Thanks for finding that website for those of us who would may like to use their computers to start up their SRXs.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2011_SRX View Post
    Realizing you have a 2013 with CUE, I may be off topic but voice dialing works perfectly with my iPhone 5 and 2011 SRX. I press the steering wheel button, say "Bluetooth", then say "Voice" and then wait about 4 or 5 seconds to hear my iPhone make a "ping" sound, then I can speak the name and the iPhone 5 places the call. Point is, it may not be the iPhone 5, it may be the exact words required to make CUE interact with the iPhone 5. Good luck!
    The issues with the iPhone 5 and CUE are apparently with Apple's iPhone 5 software according to the OnStar advisor.

The advisor said that there were varying issues the iPhone 5 may be having with some CUE users.

Mike Grasso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gray Flannel 2013 SRX Premium

Interesting, just walked outside, started the car and said "Call Mike Grasso Home" My iPhone 5 set up via bluetooth, called my house.... No problem....

ansoninc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel

I also have the OnStar app on my IPhone 5. The remote start works far better than the fob. It has many other functions including,unlocking the car,turning the horns on. It also monitors gas etc. it is very use full and strongly recommend it.
    My car was in the shop for two days and I was tempted to start it from home just to freak them out. (Evil snicker)
    Diana

300:29:1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by ansoninc

I also have the OnStar app on my IPhone 5. The remote start works far better than the fob. It has many other functions including,unlocking the car,turning the horns on. It also monitors gas etc. it is very use full and strongly recommend it.
    My car was in the shop for two days and I was tempted to start it from home just to freak them out. (Evil snicker)
    Diana
    It's also nice to be able to lock the doors after you've left the vehicle. For those who may forget. Mine will automatically lock, but good for others.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

An ACTIVE Onstar subscription is required to utilize remote link.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who posted! You guys ROCK! I’m so excited to check this out! So very much appreciated guys! Thanks again!

2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by ansoninc View Post
    Diana
    Now just think about that, what if the mechanic was working on the engine and was injured because you started it. Dealers need to do something to disable that feature while they work on the automobile.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.