Can one Key Fob work for two cars?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Can one Key Fob work for two cars? in Cadillac SRX Forums; My wife got a 2013 Cadillas SRX Premium about 3 months ago. I liked the car and CUE system so ...
    jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can one Key Fob work for two cars?

My wife got a 2013 Cadillas SRX Premium about 3 months ago. I liked the car and CUE system so much that I decided to trade in my 2003 DTS with 125,000 miles on it and got the new XTS Premium about 3 weeks ago. My garage now looks a little like a Cadillac showroom

I've read both cars' manuals from cover to cover and noticed that each car can recognize up to 8 key fobs. The instructions for training the car to recognize additional key fobs is in the manual. Morrie's Cadillac in Minneapolis, MN gives buyers free car washes so each Saturday my wife and I have been having our cars washed so they look great. We only live about 3 miles away.

I took my wife's SRX in to the dealer for a wash yesterday and brought the key fob from my car with me so I had both the SRX and XTS key fob with me. As it was about 7 degrees outside, after they washed the SRX I drove the car back into the empty service area and started the process for the car to learn the XTS's key fob. After putting SRX key in the door lock of the SRX and turning counter clockwise 5 times, the DIC never lit up or indicated that it recognized being put into learn mode. I tried to exit the learn mode and start the car and nothing would happen. Using the SRX key fob, i could lock and unlock the car, I could start the car using the remote start button on the remote, but the car would not run or recognize the key fob to start the car from inside the car. I had to call my wife to bring the other key fob for the SRX. The car didn't recognize that one either. Some how I caused the car to forget the key fobs for starting the engine. It took the service department about an hour to reprogram the car to recognize the two key fobs that came with the car. I'm sure glad I tried this at the dealer instead of on the road or at home or the car would have had to be towed in.

The dealer indicated that it's not possible to have one key fob be recognized by two different cars. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that. It would certainly be nice for each of us to be able to use either car with the key fob that we each keep with us. From the description of what is going on it appears that the car learns the signal from the key fob. Does anyone know if there is communication from the the car back to the key fob? Is each key fob married to a specific car so it only will work with one car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Re: Can one Key Fob work for two cars?

Congrats on the two new Cadillac's!
    Each set of fobs are 'married' to a vehicle once it has been programmed, yes. However, you can have up to 8 fobs programmed to a car, as long as that fob is a 'blank' to start with. Otherwise, you end up just confusing the car and fob, and they mis-communicate. You will have to carry two fobs with you if you want to use each car.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Can one Key Fob work for two cars?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    ...The dealer indicated that it's not possible to have one key fob be recognized by two different cars. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that....
    Many congratulations on your Cadillac vehicles, Jeff! If you don't mind emailing me with the last eight of your XTS's VIN, then I would be happy to check my more technical resources to see if any confirmation is possible. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm happy to help where I can.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.