Rear hatch latch fit and finish
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Rear hatch latch fit and finish in Cadillac SRX Forums; In my 2011, there is a plastic finish piece that goes around the metal latch that is mounted on the ...
    budbt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX. 2011 SRX. 1990 Miata

Rear hatch latch fit and finish

In my 2011, there is a plastic finish piece that goes around the metal latch that is mounted on the floor that the hatch latches too. This basically square piece is pushed down such that it is only connected towards the outside of the vehicle with the interior side 'flapped down' so you see the wiring and unfinished area under the bumper cover etc. it does not appear to be something that I can snap back into place.

Are they all like this? is there anything I can do to get that a back up into its proper finished position?
    Thanks for any help for this minor annoying defect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Rear hatch latch fit and finish

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I just brought this to the attention of my dealer's service dept. They showed me a new SRX in the showroom with the same condition. The explanation offered was that the small flap has to have some give when the overhead door closes and latches. I think it looks awful and cheap, but have decided to let it go. Others here have said the the spring may fail. I guess it would sag even more if that happened.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

The cover is spring loaded. If the cover is not returning to the up position, then the spring is broke.
    New or old, the cover should spring back.

Quote Originally Posted by GMJim
    The cover is spring loaded. If the cover is not returning to the up position, then the spring is broke.
    New or old, the cover should spring back.
    It springs back up, but doesn't sit completely flush and while I don't care for it, it doesn't seem to be defective. How can I argue my point when a new vehicle looks exactly the same? Is it supposed to be completely flush, so that mine of the area under the tailgate is visible?

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

2010 SRX rear hatch pictures . I am satisfied with my fit. Seems normal to me
    Attached Images

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    I never noticed this before reading this post but mine (2012) doesn't come up flush like this.... Oh well

BriggZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS, LUXw/Nav & Sun Roof, RWD; 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel
    I never noticed this before reading this post but mine (2012) doesn't come up flush like this.... Oh well
    Back on 1/13 on this thread, stevec referenced another thread that addresses this subject. Within this thread a member said there was a service bulletin #09299 that addresses this issue and changes the spring. Has anyone mentioned this to their dealer as a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by allgm
    2010 SRX rear hatch pictures . I am satisfied with my fit. Seems normal to me
    Mine looks exactly the same.

budbt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX. 2011 SRX. 1990 Miata
    Thanks everyone for the input. Mine droops way more than those pics and descriptions. I think I'll stop at the dealer. Bumper to bumper is what it is for a reason.

As I mentioned the one on mine dropped as well (maybe 1/2 inch) so the gap was very visible....and this on a brand new 2012..... I looked at it this weekend and found that there is a little play with the cover clips and you can slightly push the cover forward and this gives more leverage to the spring and the cover now closes 100% flush.......be careful not to pop the cover completely out like I did...was still fairly easy to install back with a little patience.....good luck.

As I mentioned the one on mine dropped as well (maybe 1/2 inch) so the gap was very visible....and this on a brand new 2012..... I looked at it this weekend and found that there is a little play with the cover clips and you can slightly push the cover forward and this gives more leverage to the spring and the cover now closes 100% flush.......be careful not to pop the cover completely out like I did...was still fairly easy to install back with a little patience.....good luck.
    I'll try this. 100% flush would be great. Thanks for the tip.

I couldn't get my finger in front of the hinged piece, so I used the key inside my fob. Just put the key at the front center and pushed forward and it clicked into place. Now the hinges at the rear are visible but the flap sits completely flush. No more looking at the inner workings beneath the deck floor. Thanks so much for this tip. I should also say that when I first got the SRX, the pice was actually way off center. I kept sliding it around until it was centered. This piece has alot of play/travel.

Well now it popped out and I can't seem to get it back. Please describe how you did. Thanks

I pushed the cover down completely with my fingers (the spring was still engaged but the hinges were popped out ) and used flat head screwdriver to pry the hinge back in its place one side at the time...once one side clicked in the whole shaft clicked into place.....I knew this would happen to others...it seems there is this just enough play to close the cover flush 100% but if you push it out a little to much it pops out...it seems I got mine exactly at the right place....hope you get it back...took me a little patience but got it back in...and it is perfect now. Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.