Anyone get a flat tire lately?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Anyone get a flat tire lately? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm talking about a punctured tire that went flat while you were away from home, assuming no spare tire. What ...
    BKbroiler61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX

Anyone get a flat tire lately?

I'm talking about a punctured tire that went flat while you were away from home, assuming no spare tire. What did you do? Use the repair kit? Call Service (what time of day was it?), call AAA?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: Anyone get a flat tire lately?

It's been a solid 7 years since I had a flat. Sorry I can't help.
    (Also CDN SRX's come with a spare)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

I think that's why they went to a repair kit instead of compact spare, as a flat is a rare event (although not impossible obviously). I haven't had a flat in more than 10 years of driving. My SRX came with the compact spare option though- it gives me a little more secure feeling, although I'm almost certain it'll never be used.

If you have the repair kit and if it doesn't/ can't work because of sidewall damage or too large of a puncture, you would need to call Cadillac roadside assistance or AAA.

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

My wife's '11 has 18" tires and the compact spare option. It picked up a screw in the right rear. I check the TPMS every day, noticed the pressure dropping and got it repaired locally.

My wife's previous car, Saab 9-5 which didn't have TPMS has had two on-road flats in the past seven years. One ruined a tire before it was noticed. It also has the compact spare.

Bottom line, as big and tough as the SRX tires are, if one watches the TPMS, an on-road flat should be a very rare circumstance.

jack vines

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    ... Bottom line, as big and tough as the SRX tires are, if one watches the TPMS, an on-road flat should be a very rare circumstance.

jack vines
    I agree ... I monitor my tires regularly with the TPMS. I also will use my MyCadillac App and the OnStar App to keep a closer eye on all my important vehicle's information too. I had the light come once this winter so I added air and I watched it to see if it went down to 30 psi again. In the coldest part of winter my tires will vary as much as 3-5 PSI. I try to keep them around 35 PSI.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I also find that a flat tire is a rare occurrence. Ironically I just had a nail in the tire on my SRX. In the past, having a spare meant having to make sure it was inflated from time to time. How many people even knew how to properly use the supplied jack and tools? They never seemed to stow in the same way that they came. I agree with Marc on watching the TPMS in the DIC as well as the app. I try to keep my tires at around 37 psi. The logic is, if there's a drop I have a cushion. I have found that the DIC and app are pretty accurate when compared to a digital gauge.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BKbroiler61 View Post
    I'm talking about a punctured tire that went flat while you were away from home, assuming no spare tire. What did you do? Use the repair kit? Call Service (what time of day was it?), call AAA?
    BKbroiler61, I just wanted to reply and thank you for kicking off an interesting thread topic! Has this happened to you recently? I would be happy to document your experience or follow up on any lingering concerns for you, so please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further information anytime.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Katie - Thanks for your interest. This hasn't exactly happened to me yet but what got me thinking was that my wife was driving her 2011 SRX to work at about 8AM on a weekday. She saw a warning about low tire pressure and stopped at a tire shop near her job. They removed and repaired the tire. So this scenario is just the way it should work. My question is, if it was 8PM instead of 8AM, the tire shop option wouldn't have worked. So I was wondering who has found themselves in that situation and what happened next. It is amazing how apparently uncommon that is.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Call the GM roadside assistance or use a can of fix a flat. I will never use fix a flat on a newish tire because it messes up the inside of the tire and possibly the sensors as well.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

The newer cans of fix a flat say Tire Sensor safe. But still I would only use as a last resort and I wouldn't want the person who breaks down the tire to be mad at me.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Dont' they include some sort of fix a flat in the SRX along with the compressor,in lieu of a spare tire? I would think that this would NOT be harmful to the tire.
    TheCaptain and TheCaptain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    Call the GM roadside assistance or use a can of fix a flat. I will never use fix a flat on a newish tire because it messes up the inside of the tire and possibly the sensors as well.
    I know what the recommended procedures are. I want to hear from people who have followed those procedures. For example, if you called roadside assistance, what did they do, there is no spare for them to install, it's 8:00 pm so tire shops and dealers are closed. What happens then? If they, or you, used the flat fix equipment in the SRX, how did that work out? Somebody must have gone through this process.

Gendronlights is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

What about a blow out? If it happens 50 miles from home on a Sunday evening, where is the best place for AAA to tow it to? Dealer, nearest tire shop, back home. I know the chances of this happening are slim, but I think I would just have it flat-bedded back to my home. Any thoughts on this?

hawkowl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Had a nail in one tire; have the spare, but it was a slow enough leak that I could add air to the damaged tire and drive to the nearest tire shop (25 miles away) for a repair. I live in a remote area with severe winter weather (-20F before counting wind chill this am) so would never own any car that did not come with a spare.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

My wife drives our 2012 99% of the time, so even if it did have a spare, there is no way she would change it. I don't think she is physically capable of removing the lug nuts. That is why AAA and Roadside Assistance are available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.