Oil Pan Casting Crack
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Oil Pan Casting Crack in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2010 SRX with 21,000 miles on it. I was changing the oil and noticed some oil leak ...
    therealplumpshady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Oil Pan Casting Crack

I have a 2010 SRX with 21,000 miles on it.

I was changing the oil and noticed some oil leak on the oil pan area next to the oil plug. I wiped the oil off and noticed three cracks in the casting which I believed to be a manufacturing defect in the casting. I am still under warranty and took the SRX to the Cadillac dealer and showed the service writer the picture. He had never seen this type of issue before. The SRX was sent to the service mechanic and he saw the crack and apparently according to the procedure before changing the pan out, that he would have to determine if a leak was occurring. Since I wiped the oil off, the mechanic had to take the car home to drive it and put some miles (40mile) on it to see if it would leak. A dye was put in the oil to help determine if a leak would occur. After the 40 mile drive no leak was yet seen. It probably takes way more than 40 miles to have the leak seep through the casting.

The mechanic looked at some other SRX's and supposely saw similar cracks in the casting. He believes this may be normal to crack like this. I have the SRX back and will drive it for awhile and see if it starts leaking again (I'm sure it will).

Has anyone seen this type of cracks on the casting on 2010 SRX's or other similar situations. Could this be a manufacturing defect in the quality of metal used in the casting? If so, there are probably many other SRX's out there waiting to have the same problem. If not changed out before the warranty expires I suppose it will be an expensive job.

Any ideas or similar incidents please let me know.

Hopefully the picture attaches to this file correctly.

Thanks.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Oil Pan Casting Crack

Therealplumpshady, I'm so sorry to see this has been frustrating you! If you do see the leak occurring and decide to go back to the dealer for service, please let me know. I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I can contact your dealer at any point to follow up on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Looks serious to me. Going out to my garage and check my pan. Don't like the crack around drain plug. Will keep you posted . Thanks

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Maybe someone used an air gun on it and overtorqued?

therealplumpshady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Katie,

Thank you for the offer. I will let you know what occurs.

----------

Allgm,

Thanks, I hope you don't have the same issue.

----------

Adamjeeps,

When I bought the car the dealer changed the oil prior to me taking possession. Taking the plug out seemed to be the proper amount of torque to take off the bolt, nothing difficult. I can't imagine the GM mechanic would use a torque wrench to reinstall the plug. The thing that is interesting is that I was told the mechanic checked other SRX's and saw the same cracks....would lead me to believe the casting quality maybe at fault. After a few years of use then the cracks show up.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It looks like cooling wrinkles from the casting process. Probably benign.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.