Engine Left Running
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TheCaptain
  • 2 Post By sube5186
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Engine Left Running in Cadillac SRX Forums; Are there any safety devices to warn a driver that they left the vehicle and the engine was running. I ...
    bernman402 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Are there any safety devices to warn a driver that they left the vehicle and the engine was running.
    I thought I hit the on/off button and left vehicle at airport. Engine is very quite and headlights stay on for a minute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kaptain Spaulding is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Re: Engine Left Running

Sounds like it would be impossible to have this happen. However both myself and my wife have have managed it. I make sure that the drivers seat slides back for easy exit. It will not do this if the engine is running. The best safety device is the driver. Be aware.

nemosr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 1941 61-27

Once this almost happened to me, but the alert that brought my attention to my over sight was that when I opened the door to exit I realized the radio system remained on. Of course the radio is suppose to shut off when the drivers door opens. Good luck!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Both Kaptain Spaulding and nemosr make some great points, bernman402!

If you needed more information on the easy exit seats, check out p.2-6 and 4-43 of the 2010 SRX manual.

If you wanted to learn more about Retained Accessory Power nemosr is alluding to, turn to p. 8-20 of the 2010 SRX manual.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by bernman402 View Post
    Are there any safety devices to warn a driver that they left the vehicle and the engine was running.
    I thought I hit the on/off button and left vehicle at airport. Engine is very quite and headlights stay on for a minute.
    Same happened to me. Next, I pressed the key fob twice to lock the vehicle but the horn did not sound. That was the clue to check the vehicle again because it was not secured (engine running). In my case, I ignored the fact the horn did not sound so my vehicle ran until I returned from a short errand. Now I am very aware of this issue and discovered I can press the "on/off" button lightly and the engine will remain running. It needs a firm push to stop the engine.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Not only does the radio not turn off. You should hear a quick three ping from the DIC letting you know there is no remote present. (Unless you left the remote in the car too.)
    Huey Driver and Huey Driver like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

I had to laugh when I first read this thread. Seems like I'm in good company. I did this once myself back when the car was new. You have to chalk this sort of thing up to the newness of push button start. I went into a restaurant and returned about 45 minutes later. To my horror, I discovered I'd left the car running the whole time. That panicked feeling is all you need to make sure you NEVER do that again.

Sube

300:29:1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    I had to laugh when I first read this thread. Seems like I'm in good company. I did this once myself back when the car was new. You have to chalk this sort of thing up to the newness of push button start. I went into a restaurant and returned about 45 minutes later. To my horror, I discovered I'd left the car running the whole time. That panicked feeling is all you need to make sure you NEVER do that again.

Sube
    Too funny Sube!

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

I had that happen a couple of times where I thought I had pushed the button in properly... however when I opened the door the radio was still playing which immediately told me I had not turned off my SRX.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain
    Not only does the radio not turn off. You should hear a quick three ping from the DIC letting you know there is no remote present. (Unless you left the remote in the car too.)
    The car does not beep when leaving with the motor running unless you leave a remote. This never happened in my 2005 STS. It is not new to me.

GGMiv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernman402

The car does not beep when leaving with the motor running unless you leave a remote. This never happened in my 2005 STS. It is not new to me.
    My 2011 beeps if I leave the remote in the car by accident. It chimes inside if I leave the car running and step away from the car with the remote. Problem is, it's hard to hear if you shut the door. Not very useful except to warn anyone still in the car.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Let me clarify. The horn will honk if the engine is not running and you leave the remote in the car and leave through the driver door.
    If the engine is running, and you leave through the drivers door, WITH the remote, the speakers should emit a quick 'three ping' chime sound, and the DIC display will show on the screen 'No Remote Detected'. (also the radio will still be playing)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain
    Let me clarify. The horn will honk if the engine is not running and you leave the remote in the car and leave through the driver door.
    If the engine is running, and you leave through the drivers door, WITH the remote, the speakers should emit a quick 'three ping' chime sound, and the DIC display will show on the screen 'No Remote Detected'. (also the radio will still be playing)
    If you don't have the radio on that eliminates that. The speakers do not beep a chime and being out of the auto you cannot see the DIC display.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Both Kaptain Spaulding and nemosr make some great points, bernman402!

If you needed more information on the easy exit seats, check out p.2-6 and 4-43 of the 2010 SRX manual.

If you wanted to learn more about Retained Accessory Power nemosr is alluding to, turn to p. 8-20 of the 2010 SRX manual.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service
    Sarah the 2012 manual does not have any of the information you addressed if you can find any data in the 2012 manual I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks

TRARON is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium - Gold Mist

Had the same thing happen to me as Sube, went to lunch only to return to a running vehicle. Thought I pressed the button to shut it off... Also I disabled the seat movement on exit because it never returned to the correct position and also the mirrors which would sometime stay down. Both could not be fixed by the dealer and I got tired and frustrated by trying to get these resolved (like most electronic issues with dealers)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.