Navigation-old maps. Very disappointed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Navigation-old maps. Very disappointed in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just took delivery of a 2012 SRX Premium and while the vehicle has been great the navigation is horrible. Before ...
    Kennyj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Navigation-old maps. Very disappointed

Just took delivery of a 2012 SRX Premium and while the vehicle has been great the navigation is horrible. Before taking delivery the dealership " updated the maps". Today, I was directed to three incorrect stores ( using the POI method). All three of the stores had relocated more than two years ago from the address that the nav system sent me to.

These are national furniture stores. Just for giggles, my apple and google navigations which are free got me to the correct address using their search function. My garmin iPhone app was also successfully. The nav system on the car is a total waste of money

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Not really surprised that nobody from Cadillac has responded. It is difficult to argue with facts.

Love the car, but a suggestion to potential purchasers, DO NOT spend the extra money for navigation.

A free app on a smart phone is better, has lifetime traffic and map updates.

BriggZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS, LUXw/Nav & Sun Roof, RWD; 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    I still think that despite some issues that pop up with the Nav system, it is still more convenient than a phone or other GPS device. I always use the exact address and haven't had a problem. And don't forget you have OnStar as a back up.

Totally agree if you know the address. For me, that is not always the case, especially in new areas (where you need it the most).

Love the car, I just don't feel if it is worth the significant dollars if it cannot be current.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Re: Navigation-old maps. Very disappointed

I have heard the same complaints from most everyone who has a car based navigation system. No matter what the make or model, they all seem to feel that the maps are outdated. Yes a 150 dollar Garmin has more up to date maps. Maybe one day Cadillac will partner with them. Till then, it is what it is.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

IMO: I like the Nav in the dash, for me it is much larger and yes more responsive and also less chance of break-ins too. It is my understanding that the OEM Vendors who make the map DVDs for GM, updates them in the fall of every year. If your vehicle was produced before the new updates were available then yes you would have an outdated map. It would be great if GM were to offer free updated Nav DVDs during the first year of ownership, and even better if they were to do that during the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty period.

I would like to see the new CUE system get regular updates as well when the latest Nav updates are available... will just have to see how GM handles this new system too.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

OK, here's the low down on any built-in Nav system. If you understand its limitations from the start, you won't be disappointed. As far as POI not being accurate, I think it works like this. Businesses report changes of addresses to some central network, probably Google. Whoever they're reporting it to, you can bet it's not GM or any other automaker for that matter. It's not the automaker who personally investigates the current location of every store, gas station, school, hospital, etc. in the nation. This would take a round-the-clock team of thousands of detectives. This is why every built-in Nav system, regardless of brand, will be inherently inaccurate. When a POI pops up on the screen, it should contain a phone no. as well as an address. Never drive to that location without first confirming the location by phone. Also, you can obtain GPS coordinates on a computer from Google or Mapquest. Those coordinates can then be entered into your SRX's Nav. I do this all of the time. It's actually the most accurate method, especially when navigating to somewhere in the middle of the woods, campground, park or any place without a specific street address.

Anyone considering the Nav should weigh the below pros and cons. For me it's a no-brainer. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Do I still use Google Maps to supplement the built-in Nav? Absolutely!

Advantages -

Huge 8 inch screen
    Works in conjunction with stereo and Bluetooth phone to automatically lower/raise volume when providing audible directions
    Downloadable directions via Mapquest and/or OnStar
    Accepts input of GPS coordinates
    No need to worry about theft
    It's always there when you need it

Disadvantages -

Not the most current roads and POI

As I've stated in past posts, there's only one way to have a completely up to date Nav. The foundation of the system has to be Internet based. Kia is headed in the right direction when it comes to this. They're teaming up with Google to offer a next-generation navigation system. Their new system will allow users to send Google directions from their smartphone (or the web) to their car. You can do this with our car too. However, you need to maintain the Directions & Connections portion of your OnStar subscription.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/g...and-places-to/

Sube

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Sube, I like the ability to send MapQuest coordinates and waypoints to my SRX's Nav. What I didn't like was the fee for Directions & Connections to OnStar. I just don't use a Nav enough to justify it. So I settle for Safe & Sound just in case... And I don't pay full price for that!

I use my Galaxy Note II to look up an address and input it into the Nav via the coordinates as you mentioned.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Sube, I like the ability to send MapQuest coordinates and waypoints to my SRX's Nav. What I didn't like was the fee for Directions & Connections to OnStar. I just don't use a Nav enough to justify it. So I settle for Safe & Sound just in case... And I don't pay full price for that!

I use my Galaxy Note II to look up an address and input it into the Nav via the coordinates as you mentioned.

Steve
    Yeah, me too Steve. I just keep the Safe & Sound plan, which I also get at a discount. Directions & Connections is not worth the extra costs. Besides, I find it a little eerie and intrusive having some stranger's voice emanating from the interior of my car.

We have the same taste in cell phones. The Note II is at the top of my list of most desirable phones....or should I say "phablets". Unfortunately, I'm not due for an upgrade yet. I think I'll wait for the Note III and enjoy my unlimited data while I can .

Sube

mrmusic88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just test drove a 2013 srx with nav. Iwas told unlike my 2011 cts nav,there is not a disk anymore and all updares are downloaded for free from gm. Hard to believe,but was i lied to by salesman?

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

I think so. I never heard of free updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmusic88 View Post
    Just test drove a 2013 srx with nav. Iwas told unlike my 2011 cts nav,there is not a disk anymore and all updares are downloaded for free from gm. Hard to believe,but was i lied to by salesman?

mrmusic88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What about no more disks and on a hard drive? If not, lies like that are the reason I can't trust cadillac sales. This would be my sixth new vechicle with caddy.

Just test drove a 2013 srx with nav. I was told unlike my 2011 cts nav,there is not a disk anymore and all updates are downloaded for free from gm. Hard to believe,but was i lied to by salesman?
    I'll believe that when I see it with my own two eyes. Back in 11/09 my salesman told me Nav updates were automatically downloaded over the air . Apparently, he was smoking something other than cigarettes during his lunch break.

Sube

----------

What about no more disks and on a hard drive? If not, lies like that are the reason I can't trust cadillac sales. This would be my sixth new vechicle with caddy.
    Just to clear up the confusion, the Nav database "is" on the HDD. "Updates" are downloaded to the HDD via DVD. Based on my own personal experience, part of the problem is this. New generation vehicles go on sale before the sales/service staff are trained to sell/repair them. When I bought my car the salesman admitted that they hadn't yet received training on the vehicle. At the same time, "I" was teaching the Service Manager about the car. He was completely clueless. Since then they've had a few years to get acquainted with the car and the Service Manager has been replaced. Now comes CUE to start the process all over again.

Sube

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by sube5186

I'll believe that when I see it with my own two eyes. Back in 11/09 my salesman told me Nav updates were automatically downloaded over the air . Apparently, he was smoking something other than cigarettes during his lunch break.

Sube

----------

Just to clear up the confusion, the Nav database "is" on the HDD. "Updates" are downloaded to the HDD via DVD. Based on my own personal experience, part of the problem is this. New generation vehicles go on sale before the sales/service staff are trained to sell/repair them. When I bought my car the salesman admitted that they hadn't yet received training on the vehicle. At the same time, "I" was teaching the Service Manager about the car. He was completely clueless. Since then they've had a few years to get acquainted with the car and the Service Manager has been replaced. Now comes CUE to start the process all over again.

Sube
    Which is why I'm not happy to see CUE come along. I think the tech in my 2012 works well ,and like BMW idrive. , GM is forcing this on owners. Sometimes less is more. I do realize that time marches on and it's all in the name of progress. I am certainly a tech guy, but feel the the aftermarket options are almost always much more functional for alot less money.

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

I am almost 100% sure that GM's POI database is purchased from a 3rd party like Navtec. They get out of date from the moment they are loaded up. Figure a 2012 model has data from at least 2011 or 2010 (2012 models are released in late 2011). I am not defending it but you have realize it's not google's database which is constantly updated by google and users.

Most of the time I use my smart phone to figure out where I am going and put the address in manual or us the onstar remote link app to load it on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.