Windshield Wipers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc NY
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Windshield Wipers in Cadillac SRX Forums; The other day my wife had to drive the SRX for the first time in heavy snow conditions. She was ...
    Srxlou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Ice Premium SRX

Windshield Wipers

The other day my wife had to drive the SRX for the first time in heavy snow conditions. She was actually kind of excited to try it out. When she drove to work she had no problems and was very happy with the way it drove in the snow. Coming home was another story, lol. She was basically in tears telling me about it. I guess the bloody windshield wipers kept freezing up on her. She had to pull over three times within 15 km to chip the ice away from them. I asked her if she had the defrost on and she said yes. So anyways I bought new wipers for her. To be honest I don't think they're going to be much better. One thing I've noticed about the SRX where the wipers sit is that it is very deep and very hard to remove snow which ends up building up then it turns to ice. Just my opion but I think this is a very poor design for the north. So just waiting for our next winter storm. She's nervous and so am I since she basically told me if it continues to give her problems will have to trade it in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

e004698 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4

Re: Windshield Wipers

I have a 2010 SRX AWD here in central Wisconsin with lots of snow and wipers freezing have not been a problem more than any other car I've owned or driven, but it can happen. Most likely temperature conditions were just perfect to create ice and problen would have occured what ever was being driven. SRX AWD great car in the snow.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Srxlou,
    We're sorry that your wife had such a rough drive back home. If you wanted for us to document a product suggestion (in this case, the way that the wipers sit), please contact us either via private message on the forum or email (katie_lucille@gmexpert.com) with details of your suggestion, as well as your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of the vehicle.
    Sarah, Cadillac Customer Service

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by Srxlou
    The other day my wife had to drive the SRX for the first time in heavy snow conditions. She was actually kind of excited to try it out. When she drove to work she had no problems and was very happy with the way it drove in the snow. Coming home was another story, lol. She was basically in tears telling me about it. I guess the bloody windshield wipers kept freezing up on her. She had to pull over three times within 15 km to chip the ice away from them. I asked her if she had the defrost on and she said yes. So anyways I bought new wipers for her. To be honest I don't think they're going to be much better. One thing I've noticed about the SRX where the wipers sit is that it is very deep and very hard to remove snow which ends up building up then it turns to ice. Just my opion but I think this is a very poor design for the north. So just waiting for our next winter storm. She's nervous and so am I since she basically told me if it continues to give her problems will have to trade it in.
    The wipers on my 2012 SRX have been very good in snow and ice. I must say that despite a less tan thorough clearing off enforce driving, I have not had the problem you describe.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

The condition Srxlou is experiencing is pretty much the same exact situation that a lot of SUVs or Crossovers will experience... snow build up below the hood and under the wiper arm areas. There is one thing that I learned many years ago is to make sure that NO ice or snow gets packed down under the wiper blade arm mechanisms because when the car sits and it freezes up it can actually lock your wiper arms down. If you try to turn on your blades in this situation it can also do a lot of damage to either your wiper motor and or damage to the rubber on the blades when the wipers try to move over frozen ice. In the cold and snowy winter time always pre-warm your vehicle up first and also try to keep that area clean and yes even along the side edge of the front windshield areas too. Last but not least is make sure you take the time to clear snow or ice away from your windshield washers that are located on the rear hood area near the windshield so that if you need to use your washers you will have them working properly. I always wipe down the rear camera lens with my warm finger just so that I can make sure that I will be able to see clearly when I am backing out too. Those few extra minutes spent clearing away the snow and cleaning off your wiper blades will ensure that your driving experience will be much better.

TheCaptain likes this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I'll second what Marc said. I'll also add that I have driven my SRX 65 000 kms of which about half of that has been winter driving. It's like any car, as long as you keep your cowl clean, the wipers stay clean.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

SRXnewbie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My SRX has the same problem only we don't have snow right now just cold. Whenever it is below 15 it freezes. This must be a design problem. The rear wiper washer is fine even below zero. This is disappointing I was thrilled with my first GM vehicle in 25 years. I just got it a month ago...beginning to wonder if I should have boughten a Lincoln instead.

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by SRXnewbie View Post
    My SRX has the same problem only we don't have snow right now just cold. Whenever it is below 15 it freezes. This must be a design problem. The rear wiper washer is fine even below zero. This is disappointing I was thrilled with my first GM vehicle in 25 years. I just got it a month ago...beginning to wonder if I should have boughten a Lincoln instead.
    Perhaps try some aftermarket wipers... they might have a different rubber compound. Our Subaru Tribeca we had before the SRX has front windshield heater lines... like the lines in the rear window only clustered under where the wipers rest. Great for when freezing rain collects and freezes your wipers down. I am surprised that more vehicles don't have this feature.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

The best solution is to turn your HVAC onto whatever vent direction doesn't point at the window (if it's day time, and you're not on the highway). Then the vents don't melt the snow on the windshield to freeze the wipers.
    The second best solution is to move to Mexico.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.