Using the OnStar App on a Base SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Using the OnStar App on a Base SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a friend who just bought a 2012 Base SRX and has asked me if he could download the ...
    Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Question Using the OnStar App on a Base SRX

I have a friend who just bought a 2012 Base SRX and has asked me if he could download the OnStar app and use his iPhone to remotely start up his SRX. Since the remote starter didn't come standard with that package he is wondering if he would need to buy a starter module from the dealer in order for him to use the OnStar App to be able to remotely start up his SRX?

I don't know if he can use the OnStar App without first actually having to install a starter module and or purchase a remote key-fob that would allow him to start-up his vehicle. *I told him to give OnStar a call to find out what, if anything, he can do. So ... does anyone know if the OnStar App is capable of remotely starting up his vehicle without the factory starter option already installed? If that doesn't work out for him maybe he can buy just the starter module from the dealer and have them install it or will he have to also buy the key fob as well?

*Edit*

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Using the OnStar App on a Base SRX

UPDATE: My friend called me back to tell me that he just talked to an OnStar advisor and they told him that unless the vehicle has the remote start feature on it already that the OnStar App will not be able to remotely start his vehicle. Honestly, I had thought that would be the case. However, he told me he was hoping that if OnStar was able to unlock vehicle doors and also slow down a vehicle if it were stolen he thought that perhaps he would also be able to startup his vehicle too.

He said he will definitely call the dealership tomorrow to check with the dealer to see if they will be able to install a factory remote starter on it as a GM accessory. He really likes his beautiful Raven SRX but he admitted he had forgot to ask about that particular option when was purchasing his SRX.

This morning I decided to call the parts department at my local dealership to see if the SRX base model can have the factory remote starter installed in it. The parts serviceman said if my friend had purchased a new ATS he could have that option installed after the fact because some GM vehicles are already pre-wired from the factory for that option. Unfortunately, the SRX is one model that doesn't come pre-wired from the factory. I will have to inform my friend that he will not be able to install the GM factory remote starter in his new SRX.

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Marc NY,

You are correct. In order for OnStar to make conenction to the remote start feature it must be factory installed, but the other features like the door unlock would still work through the RemoteLink app. If you or your friend have any other questions just press the OnStar button or call 1-888-4ONSTAR.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.