Steering Noise - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 95
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Steering Noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc Steve, thank you for keeping the thread updated with your progress. I'm very sorry ...
  1. #16
    ATC
    ATC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Enclave, C6 Corvette
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    26

    Re: Steering Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Steve, thank you for keeping the thread updated with your progress. I'm very sorry to hear your SRX is back in the shop, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like me to call your dealer at any time to check on your vehicle's status. (My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.)



    I can definitely understand your frustration, cadigirlchicago2. I do recommend consulting with your dealership regarding your persistent concerns, and if you would also like me to contact your dealer I'm happy to do so at any point.

    Best,

    Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

    Katie,

    Thanks for being on this forum. This kind of service may sway me to a SRX over the Audi I'm also looking at!

  2. #17
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,790

    Re: Steering Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by ATC View Post
    Katie,
    Thanks for being on this forum. This kind of service may sway me to a SRX over the Audi I'm also looking at!
    Thank you, ATC! I'm definitely happy to assist if you have any Cadillac questions while you shop, and I'm here to locate vehicles near you or contact any dealers if you wish. While I don't work this weekend, I will be in the office Monday, December 26th and will be sure to check my emails then.

    Best,

    Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

  3. #18
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Steering Noise

    Katie,

    I wish you had been on here back when the 2010 model came out. We sure could have used your help back then.

    I hope all these issues that are posted on here are making it to the eyes and ears of someone at GM who can do something about quality control.
    TheCaptain and TheCaptain like this.

  4. #19
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Steering Noise

    My saga of the front struts grinding noise:

    1. Made an appt. with the dealer to take the car in which included securing a loaner.

    2. Gave the dealership the following info upon arrival:
    2010 - 2011 SRX

    Symptom: Scraping noise from front end while turning steering wheel in cold ambient temperatures

    Repair: Install new front strut mounts by following updated service replacement procedures found in SI

    Service Bulletin Number PI0368


    3. Wait for 4 days to hear back from them.

    4. Was told that both front struts were replaced.

    So far, no more grinding noise. What's interesting is that they had to replace the entire struts instead of just the mounts as directed by the service bulletin. But i'm not complaining since it fixed my problem AND I got new struts out of the fix.

  5. #20
    kanundrum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    70

    Re: Steering Noise

    I am going to be keeping my noise until I feel my struts going, after all no warranty work done on the Saab 9-4x even though its the same parts etc

    I wish I could get warranty on the parts, I wouldn't mind handling the labor

  6. #21
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,814

    Re: Steering Noise

    It's my opinion that all of these "known issues" should be repaired at no cost even if the vehicle is out of warranty. The reason I say this is because these should have been "recalls" in the first place. They know the parts are defective and subject to fail sometime in the future. They're not replacing parts with the same parts. The fact that they're replacing parts with "re-designed" parts is proof of a defective initial design. They'll never be classified as recalls for two reasons. First, in the auto industry "recall" is a dirty word. It results in negative publicity, which directly impacts sales. Second, it would require them to foot the cost of repairs. This is like having a ticking time bomb. You know it's going to go off. You just don't know when. What about the cars that are owned and operated in warm climate states, only to be sold years later to customers who live in cold weather states? These vehicles won't exhibit symptoms for years. Of course, by then they'll be out of warranty.

    Personally, I'd have more respect for GM is they'd be proactive instead of reactive. Why put the customer through this aggravation? They could be replacing these parts during routine maintenance visits.


    Sube

  7. #22
    kanundrum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    70

    Re: Steering Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    It's my opinion that all of these "known issues" should be repaired at no cost even if the vehicle is out of warranty. The reason I say this is because these should have been "recalls" in the first place. They know the parts are defective and subject to fail sometime in the future. They're not replacing parts with the same parts. The fact that they're replacing parts with "re-designed" parts is proof of a defective initial design. They'll never be classified as recalls for two reasons. First, in the auto industry "recall" is a dirty word. It results in negative publicity, which directly impacts sales. Second, it would require them to foot the cost of repairs. This is like having a ticking time bomb. You know it's going to go off. You just don't know when. What about the cars that are owned and operated in warm climate states, only to be sold years later to customers who live in cold weather states? These vehicles won't exhibit symptoms for years. Of course, by then they'll be out of warranty.

    Personally, I'd have more respect for GM is they'd be proactive instead of reactive. Why put the customer through this aggravation? They could be replacing these parts during routine maintenance visits.


    Sube
    Much agreed I was very upset that my car (that has 14,000 miles) started exhibiting these symptoms when the weather turned cold. I have dealt with a lot of suspension issues before but this takes the cake, something so Brand New that has issues with cold weather. Makes you wonder if they really did proper cold weather testing (or even weather testing as my Sunroof did leak another common issue with SRX/9-4x)[COLOR="Silver"]

  8. #23
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Steering Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
    Much agreed I was very upset that my car (that has 14,000 miles) started exhibiting these symptoms when the weather turned cold. I have dealt with a lot of suspension issues before but this takes the cake, something so Brand New that has issues with cold weather. Makes you wonder if they really did proper cold weather testing (or even weather testing as my Sunroof did leak another common issue with SRX/9-4x)[COLOR="Silver"]
    This grinding noise issue is indeed a strange one. People who live in the colder climate areas were complaining about this within the first year they owned the car when the ambient temperature dropped. I'm almost to year 3 of my SRX and it just showed up this year when the temp. dropped to 27 degrees one morning. It could also be mileage AND temp. related. Since I only have 18K miles on my car after almost 3 years, I am obviously not the average driver.

  9. #24
    2012SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    17

    Re: Steering Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Have you ever noticed how everything starts to break the minute your warranty expires?

    I had my car make it all the way to 18K before that grinding noise started, but we don't have Chicago winters down here in Austin either. In any event, mine's been in the shop since Monday for that grinding noise. They warned me there would be quite a wait but I have a loaner so who cares. I'll put miles on their car!
    I live in the Dallas area and on Christmas day we had snow & 22 degree weather. Car is usually in the garage but that day it was outside a couple of hours. when I started it and turned the steering wheel, I heard the grinding noise. Lasted even after it sat in the garage that night, until about 4pm on 12/26, when the noise went away. Took it to the Grapevine dealer at 7:30 12/27, and before I could finish describing the problem, the service writer explained that he had written many 2010/2011s over the past couple of years, but none for a 2012. Probably in our area due to the fact that this was the first real cold since I bought the car in 8/11 (one of the first 2012s). Current mileage 13,100. He also said the upper strut mounting part has been "redesigned," but he did not determine if mine had the new part. Gave me a 2012 SRX to drive and called at 11:30 telling me the upper strut mounts were replaced. He said they never have had to replace the whole strut on any of the 2010/2011s. Excellent dealer...

  10. #25
    Caddymangg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2
    I'm glad you posted this. Both times it snowed In New York and I've had the same problems. I'll schedule my maintenance next week.

  11. #26
    Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    286

    Re: Steering Noise

    I have possibly had this noise on my '12, but I wouldnt exactly call it a grinding. I'd call it normal 'cold seals' noise of fluid getting moving. I noticed when it was below 30, but it went away almost immediately. I normally put my car in a garage overnight, but left it out that night. I have a very early '12, purchased off the dealer lot in Oct '12, but I dont know the build date off the top of my head.
    I may mention, the next time I am in, but my question is other than the slight irritation with the noise, what is the problem here? What happens if I just live with the 2-3 times a year I get 'the noise'? Without looking at the suspension, it seems this is just the strut cartridge twisting in cold rubber (or some other compound). That, to me, while not desirable, isnt too far out of the ordinary.
    Anyone been told what the problem is, especially in light of the fact that there doesnt seem to be a safety issue.

  12. #27
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Moosomin Saskatchewan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,884

    Re: Steering Noise

    It's unnerving when your steering grinds/vibrates when turning. Problem or not. Sorry huey.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior


    **Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

    *Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

  13. #28
    Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    286

    Re: Steering Noise

    Agreed, Cap'n. Thats kinda why I said I didnt know if what I noticed was the same as those with '10s and '11s... Mine went away immediately, and only did it while sitting still in the driveway, ie, when I started it, shifted to reverse and turned the wheel to back out of the driveway. Once moving, I didnt notice anything.

  14. #29
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,790

    Re: Steering Noise

    Glad that your visit to the dealership went so smoothly, 2012SRX.

    If anybody would like for us to help you get a concern checked into by your dealership (we can get the appointment set up for you, follow up afterwards, etc), please contact us either on the forum by private message or email at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name and contact information, a brief summary, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

  15. #30
    kanundrum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    30
    Posts
    70

    Re: Steering Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Glad that your visit to the dealership went so smoothly, 2012SRX.

    If anybody would like for us to help you get a concern checked into by your dealership (we can get the appointment set up for you, follow up afterwards, etc), please contact us either on the forum by private message or email at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name and contact information, a brief summary, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service
    Katie

    I will send you an e-mail about my 9-4x even though its a Saab and I know the whole warranty issue is up in the air maybe you can help out since this is a common issue amongst owners of this platform.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting