Can I/Should I wax my new 2013 SRX before the Winter?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By Marc NY
  • 2 Post By Huey Driver
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Can I/Should I wax my new 2013 SRX before the Winter? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just took my delivery of a 2013 SRX. Going to have two very nice days ahead of me. Is it ...
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Can I/Should I wax my new 2013 SRX before the Winter?

Just took my delivery of a 2013 SRX.

Going to have two very nice days ahead of me.

Is it too early to put a coat of wax on the car knowing that the winter is ahead?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lencarguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium, Platinum Ice/Ebony

Re: Can I/Should I wax my new 2013 SRX before the Winter?

It's never too early. I waxed my 2012 SRX about 2 weeks after picking it up last year. I wax it quarterly and it keeps the finish showroom new. The days of letting the new paint cure before waxing are long over.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Lencarguy View Post
    It's never too early. I waxed my 2012 SRX about 2 weeks after picking it up last year. I wax it quarterly and it keeps the finish showroom new. The days of letting the new paint cure before waxing are long over.
    That is true! Some dealers will try to sell you paint protection/ sealant as another added cost option. Personally, I wouldn't take that option myself.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Wax it anytime. The paint ia already cured. Keep it looking real good!!!! The more wax, the better....I waxed mine the day i took delivery. Looks like new, after more than 2 years. I use C-magic wax and detailer. Like it alot, easy on, easy off....

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I use Collinite. It's heavy-duty industrial wax meant for marine use, but car buyers have been getting remarkable results with it, and it can last for up to a year. Just applied a thin coat to my vehicle today. Thinking of applying another coat tomorrow.

slowdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Still negotiating

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/ there is so many products out there.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    That is true! Some dealers will try to sell you paint protection/ sealant as another added cost option. Personally, I wouldn't take that option myself.
    Why Marc? I was under the impression that the paint protection is a teflon coating that is effective in protecting the paint.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    Why Marc? I was under the impression that the paint protection is a teflon coating that is effective in protecting the paint.
    Perhaps it is... but IMO I personally do not believe you really need to spend the extra money on protecting today's high quality clear coat factory paints.

hambone8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium

I would consider putting a quality sealant on it before wax. Full meal deal... Hand wash dry, clay to remore any residue stuck in the clear coat during shipment, and a long lasting sealant. I had this done for 110.00 the week of delivery. Mequires synthetic sealant 2.0 was used. Supposedly up to 9 months protection. Granted it doesn't have the deep gloss of carnuaba wax, but it still looks good. And, you can wax on top of the sealant.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

To throw in my .02, regarding your question to Marc about the paint protection. It is my opinion, and ONLY opinion, not necessarily fact, that with those dealer options, about 10% of what you are paying is for the product, the rest is to buy insurance.
    They tried to sell me that stuff.... "Just buy this $3,000 option and we'll guarantee against scratches or we will repair it for free". Nothing can protect against that. Basically, whats out there is out there. Nothing the dealer can do is any really better than what you can DIY. They take a healthy profit, then buy some insurance that will pay the repairs if the 'protection' ever fails...
    At least, thats my opinion of it...
    I use the Zaino system, and follow Hambone's plan. I clayed and sealed when new, and really didnt get around to doing it again until a year later. Some I know do the clay/seal twice a year, but once seems (so far) to be adequate. And with the clay/polish, the paint is so smooth, it feels like satin...
    Lencarguy and Lencarguy like this.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    To throw in my .02, regarding your question to Marc about the paint protection. It is my opinion, and ONLY opinion, not necessarily fact, that with those dealer options, about 10% of what you are paying is for the product, the rest is to buy insurance.
    They tried to sell me that stuff.... "Just buy this $3,000 option and we'll guarantee against scratches or we will repair it for free". Nothing can protect against that. Basically, whats out there is out there. Nothing the dealer can do is any really better than what you can DIY. They take a healthy profit, then buy some insurance that will pay the repairs if the 'protection' ever fails...
    At least, thats my opinion of it...
    I use the Zaino system, and follow Hambone's plan. I clayed and sealed when new, and really didnt get around to doing it again until a year later. Some I know do the clay/seal twice a year, but once seems (so far) to be adequate. And with the clay/polish, the paint is so smooth, it feels like satin...
    I feel that the stuff they apply is indeed mostly profit in the application. I also feel that the the teflon coating they apply offers a good degree of protection and makes washing easier. Some of us just don't have the time and patience to follow the procedure listed above. I can do wax, but the other stuff isn't going to happen. I paid $699 for the paint and fabric protection. I'm ok with that price. I usually skip these things but didn't this time.

tmw
    tmw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    It's not Teflon, but some other polymer. Check out autogeek.net, for tons of info, and various products and forums. It IS the same stuff if not better that dealers or others will package under some made up name for $400-$600. Do it yourself for $40 or find a local detailed and get a sealant 1 or 2x a year for a third the cost.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by hambone8 View Post
    I would consider putting a quality sealant on it before wax. Full meal deal... Hand wash dry, clay to remore any residue stuck in the clear coat during shipment, and a long lasting sealant. I had this done for 110.00 the week of delivery. Mequires synthetic sealant 2.0 was used. Supposedly up to 9 months protection. Granted it doesn't have the deep gloss of carnuaba wax, but it still looks good. And, you can wax on top of the sealant.

Hmm same stuff and prices I had done, it isn't J.B-it up near zionsville is it ?

rsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

I just picked mine up and gave it a good wash and waxing.

kiboater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Luxury

Thumbs down Re: Can I/Should I wax my new 2013 SRX before the Winter?

"Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended. If painted surfaces are damaged, see your dealer to have the damage assessed and repaired. Foreign materials such as calcium chloride and other salts, ice melting agents, road oil and tar, tree sap, bird droppings, chemicals from industrial chimneys, etc., can damage the vehicle's finish if they remain on painted surfaces. Wash the vehicle as soon as possible. If necessary, use non-abrasive cleaners that are marked safe for painted surfaces to remove foreign matter.
    Occasional hand waxing or mild polishing should be done to remove residue from the paint finish. See your dealer for approved cleaning products. Do not apply waxes or polishes to uncoated plastic, vinyl, rubber, decals, simulated wood, or flat paint as damage can occur. Notice: Machine compounding or aggressive polishing on a basecoat/clearcoat paint finish may damage it. Use only non-abrasive waxes and polishes that are made for a basecoat/clearcoat paint finish on the vehicle.To keep the paint finish looking new,keep the vehicle garaged or covered whenever possible."
    This quote is from the 2013 SRX owners manual. It is not exactly a ringing endorsement of waxing your new car. Years ago before modern clear coats, keeping a good coat of wax on your car was important. So was changing the oil every 3000 miles and changing the points and condenser and plugs every 12,000 miles. Don't forget to repack the wheel bearings and service the transmission at 24,000. Those good old days are gone.

Today's cars have a superior clear coat over the paint and weather extremely well. I just traded in a 2006 Buick Lucerne on my 2013 SRX. The finish was as good as the day I picked it up. People would comment on how I maintained the finish. The car was washed often. If I waxed this car every 6 months then I could tell you that this is why it looked so good. But I never waxed it

I know some of you have always waxed your cars and there are a lot of companies selling wax. I religiously wax the gel coat on my boat because it protects the surface, but new cars don't need wax. I know a lot of people will not agree but why would GM put this in the manual if waxing was helpful? If you enjoy waxing your car then it might be good for you, but the car will not know the difference.

hambone8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    It's not Teflon, but some other polymer. Check out autogeek.net, for tons of info, and various products and forums. It IS the same stuff if not better that dealers or others will package under some made up name for $400-$600. Do it yourself for $40 or find a local detailed and get a sealant 1 or 2x a year for a third the cost.

----------

Hmm same stuff and prices I had done, it isn't J.B-it up near zionsville is it ?
    yes sir, that is it. My buddy used to run a mobile detailing service, but regretfully due to lack of business he shut it down a year ago or so. I think it was called Driven. Anyway, I was very happy with Jimmy Buffits work. Only complaint I was told they had wifi in their waiting room, but it was down the day I went. I almost offered to take a look at it so I wouldnt have to rely on LTE service for an hour LOL. Oh yeah, they did forget to apply sealant to the polished aluminum wheels. I asked after they worked on it and Ric mentioned they would do it the next time I came in. I plan in coming in for a wash at some point. Not a big deal since they did apply some wax and from my understanding they are already factory sealed, but I just wanted an extra coat of protection before the salt hits the roads.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.