Plastic Flap in Hatch Latch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Plastic Flap in Hatch Latch in Cadillac SRX Forums; Looking at the metal tab that hooks onto the hatch and secures it in the closed position, you can see ...
    300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Plastic Flap in Hatch Latch

Looking at the metal tab that hooks onto the hatch and secures it in the closed position, you can see a plastic piece surrounding it. That "flap" is loose and hangs down a bit at the rear. You can see into the lower storage area where the compressor etc is housed. I'm wondering if there's a way to prop up this flap so that it sits flush. I've tried to push it up from below, but can't get underneath. I am able to slide it sideways a bit, and have centered it for the most stable fit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Plastic Flap in Hatch Latch

That's funny that you brought this up because I have the same problem. The little flap is only there so that there isn't a big hole for the bottom of the hatch door lock to go into. It is only for appearance and has no other function. Mine has started to droop a little more than it did originally so I used a wire bent like an "L" and slipped it into the gap and pulled it back up level. However it has recently fallen back down about a 1/2 inch. I suspect there is a small weak spring that gets even weaker over time and begins to droop. I'll put it on my fix list for the next dealer visit.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy
    That's funny that you brought this up because I have the same problem. The little flap is only there so that there isn't a big hole for the bottom of the hatch door lock to go into. It is only for appearance and has no other function. Mine has started to droop a little more than it did originally so I used a wire bent like an "L" and slipped it into the gap and pulled it back up level. However it has recently fallen back down about a 1/2 inch. I suspect there is a small weak spring that gets even weaker over time and begins to droop. I'll put it on my fix list for the next dealer visit.
    I'll be interested to see what the dealer says/does about this. If you go in first let us know what happened. I don't see how it's supposed to stay up by looking at it, and I hope it can be flush. It looks awfully cheap this way.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I finally figured out what you are talking about. There is a very small spring that holds it up. I know this because the area around the latch does a really good job of funnelling spilled coffee into it. I had to take mine all apart to get down in there and clean up said coffee, knowing it would smell pretty bad once it got old.
    The spring wraps around a pin that serves as the hinge for the door. Since there are only small plastic tabs holding the hinge pin in, one of the ends may have popped out. It is NOT an easy task to get at, so I'd almost have to advise you ask the dealer to repair sometime...

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver
    I finally figured out what you are talking about. There is a very small spring that holds it up. I know this because the area around the latch does a really good job of funnelling spilled coffee into it. I had to take mine all apart to get down in there and clean up said coffee, knowing it would smell pretty bad once it got old.
    The spring wraps around a pin that serves as the hinge for the door. Since there are only small plastic tabs holding the hinge pin in, one of the ends may have popped out. It is NOT an easy task to get at, so I'd almost have to advise you ask the dealer to repair sometime...
    Thanks. It was this way when I took delivery.

briank99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium\2014 SRX Premium

My 2010 SRX has this same problem and I found out there is a service bulletin #09299 about this problem. The fix is a different spring.
    I have never bothered to have this repaired yet. I keep forgetting about it until I pop the hatch. One day though....

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

FYI, if your latch flap is ok now leave it alone and do not push it in. I did that while vacuuming the rear area and once I pushed it in to its limits it never came back up to the original position. The spring must truly be a weak one.

Quote Originally Posted by briank99 View Post
    My 2010 SRX has this same problem and I found out there is a service bulletin #09299 about this problem. The fix is a different spring.
    I have never bothered to have this repaired yet. I keep forgetting about it until I pop the hatch. One day though....
    Thanks. Its not dangling that badly and I don't touch it. It just bugs me every time I open or close the hatch. I initially slid it left and right and got to be more stable. Seemed like it was off center at first. I'll get to the dealer eventually for service. After 4 months and 2K miles, it'll be a while.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Just had this fixed. I gave them the Service Bulletin # 09299, which is supposed to address this. I was told the parts for that Service Bulletin are no longer available. They've since redesigned the entire mechanism, so they replaced it with that. The attached pic tells the whole story. It now looks and works the way it's supposed to.

I certainly wouldn't race to your local dealer just for this. This is something to save for another service visit.

Sube
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Just had this fixed. I gave them the Service Bulletin # 09299, which is supposed to address this. I was told the parts for that Service Bulletin are no longer available. They've since redesigned the entire mechanism, so they replaced it with that. The attached pic tells the whole story. It now looks and works the way it's supposed to.

I certainly wouldn't race to your local dealer just for this. This is something to save for another service visit.

Sube
    Thanks Sube! I will be going in for service soon. The flap on mine is completely detached, and has been for some time. It will be nice to get this resolved once and for all-I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post

Sube
    Is there any information like an SB# associated with this fix? I would like to be able to make only 1 appointment and get my oil change done along with this fix. My flap is completely out, having fiddled around with it too much. I'm at 26% oil life, so I'll be making an appointment to bring in the SRX soon.
    Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    Is there any information like an SB# associated with this fix? I would like to be able to make only 1 appointment and get my oil change done along with this fix. My flap is completely out, having fiddled around with it too much. I'm at 26% oil life, so I'll be making an appointment to bring in the SRX soon.
    Thanks
    Hello 300:29:1,

If you private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage, I am more than happy to discuss this concern with you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

I went in for my service visit. Giving the above SB# and explaining the problem, my existing part was reinstalled. The gap remains. I will live with it, as opposed to having it completely out. Maybe if I get another SRX the issue will be resolved. I must say that after 10 months and 7500 miles, I've had no significant problems to report. My only gripe is the lack of HID, but I've beaten that issue to death.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.