Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Oil life remaining computation with synthetic oils

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Ponyman 
#1 ·
The "oil life remaining" computation on my 2011 3.0 seems to run down quickly. Other cars seem to go many more miles on synthetics before recommending oil changes. One BMW went 12,000 miles.

Anyone seen any recommendations as to why the GM 3.0 algorithm recommends oil changes at 5,000 miles or less?

jack vines

G
#2 ·
2010 SRX I have been changing at around 25% oil life remaining = around 7500 miles. I have never ran it down to zero but would think 10,000 would be the mileage. All depends on how you drive and the conditions.

#4 ·
... All depends on how you drive and the conditions.
Plus many other factors. (You can't compare the HFV6 powerplant to any BWM engine ... the apples to oranges thing.) Do some searching on other parts of the intertube and you can find more information than you want to know about these GM engines and their associated issues which apparently come into play with the OLM.

Additionally, the OLM doesn't know whether there is synthetic or conventional oil in the pan. I would guess that the algorithm is geared toward GM's ACDelco Dexos1 brand of synthetic blend oil.

I wish my OLM zeroed out at 5,000 miles since Cadillac covers the oil changes on their 2011 models. Hopefully Saab does as well.

#8 ·
FWIW, oil analysis by two independent laboratories fairly well confirmed for me the validity of GM's OLM, at least on my car under my circumstances. And those circumstances included some fairly high fuel dilution to the oil numbers (5% + for the majority of the 6,700 mile interval on the last run). As much as I despise running oil that smells like gasoline, it appears as though it hasn't done any damage *yet* although iron was tagged as being on the high side (possibly due to engine still going through wear-in). I am trying to hold out for the duration on this interval as I don't want to unnecessarily waste resources and spend money needlessly. (I have just sent off a sample for analysis at 50% on the OLM at 3,600 miles, mostly in summer operation.) Under the right circumstances, 7,000 miles does not seem out of the realm of reason. I wouldn't try it on conventional oil, however.

#9 ·
I take my car to the dealer for oil changes when the meter hits 0% and get the synthetic oil. I have a 2010 model so I have to pay out of pocket for this. I figure if the car has engine problems due to oil changes, then it's GM's fault and not mine since I'm doing it "by the book".

#10 ·
The only problem I see with waiting to go to the dealer at 0% is the dealer able to determine how long you been driving at 0%??? If you keep your OnStar account active I believe you would be OK... but if you don't then how are they going to determine that you are one day or one month or a year driving at ZERO%?

#13 ·
Marc NY said:
The only problem I see with waiting to go to the dealer at 0% is the dealer able to determine how long you been driving at 0%??? If you keep your OnStar account active I believe you would be OK... but if you don't then how are they going to determine that you are one day or one month or a year driving at ZERO%?
When the reading is about 5% I make the oil change appt about three days out and by then it's hit 0%. And yes, my OnStar acct is active.

#19 ·
allgm said:
Mobile one is full synthetic vs dexos is a blend not full synthetic. It does not take a scientist to figure this out.
Dexos is a standard not a brand. It replaces GMStandard GM4718M. The Dexos oil that dealers use in 2011 and beyond in the free maintenance program is a blend. All of the Mobil1 oil that I have bought lately to keep our 2008 full meets the Dexos standard. I would prefer full synthetic in our 2011, but accept the blend they use. We aren't planning on keeping the 2011 past the warranty. I do top it off with full synthetic when it needs it because I have to keep it on hand for the thirsty '08 V6.

#20 ·
We ran ours to 0% the last time. We were off in Arkansas at our vacation home, and just had to livewith it till we got back home. I have mentioned this before, ours is a 10, but our dealer is changing the oil and rotating the tires for free, and it is NOT the dealer we bought it from. Makes my brother in law mad, he also has a 10 and is having to pay for his oil changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.